Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By substring
  • 1 Post By Premium1
  • 1 Post By raymaane
  • 1 Post By Ticojpunk
  • 1 Post By bsmith0731
  • 1 Post By Premium1
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default Move me from Google..

Hey folks,
    Like most people here I've been floating between Google and IOS for a few years - having iterations of both over the years..
    I have a Find7a but I've found a number of issues with it..they've updated the OS and it's better..

I still have a iPhone 5 and also had an iMAC. I have to say the hardware quality is superb..especially on the iMAC. I am not in love with IOS but I didnt attempt to learn much either..

The primary reason I moved from the iPhone is that I found it terribly hard to write emails for work..the small screen was a challenge..Hence I moved to a Find7 with a 5.5" screen. Now that the bigger iPhone is out I find myself looking towards it again..Sure I like to customize my phone but after I've done it I dont touch it much..the issue I am having is that I stuck between both worlds..

I love Android BC
    1. Notifications
    2. Google Now
    3. Google Apps (Chrome, Maps, Google+, Photos Sync etc)
    4. Google Apps are synced across various devices
    5. Choice of phones and displays

I love iPhone BC
    1. all my music is iTUNES
    2. IOS always works (except for latest version)
    3. Apple Support
    4. Great hardware
    5. I LOVE the headphones and MIC on iPhone..No headsets have provided the mic like them..I've tried all different types.
    6. A variety of accessories
    7. Accessories are cool (cases, apps etc)

I am willing to go iPhone but how do I disconnect myself (except) email from Google??? I just want my devices and OS to work and well..I find consistent glitches across the Android OS..I am still on the fence if I that I may go with a Note 4 but I dont like TouchWiz and I do not like installing new ROMS..

So I wanna move over but I am afraid of missing Google too much and have to shell $$$ for another phone..

Your help is appreciated!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    936 Global Posts

Default Re: Move me from Google..

My ecosystem (except music which is on iTunes) is heavily on Google....Gmail, Google Drive, Google Maps, Google Apps, Google Calendars and Contacts, etc etc. I have no problem using those Google application on my iPhone 6 Plus and my iPad. So you don't have to leave Google in order to use an iPhone or iPad.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marven Massey View Post
    Hey folks,
    Like most people here I've been floating between Google and IOS for a few years - having iterations of both over the years..
    I have a Find7a but I've found a number of issues with it..they've updated the OS and it's better..

I still have a iPhone 5 and also had an iMAC. I have to say the hardware quality is superb..especially on the iMAC. I am not in love with IOS but I didnt attempt to learn much either..

The primary reason I moved from the iPhone is that I found it terribly hard to write emails for work..the small screen was a challenge..Hence I moved to a Find7 with a 5.5" screen. Now that the bigger iPhone is out I find myself looking towards it again..Sure I like to customize my phone but after I've done it I dont touch it much..the issue I am having is that I stuck between both worlds..

I love Android BC
    1. Notifications
    2. Google Now

I love iPhone BC
    3. Apple Support
    4. Great hardware
    5. I LOVE the headphones and MIC on iPhone..No headsets have provided the mic like them..I've tried all different types.

I am willing to go iPhone but how do I disconnect myself (except) email from Google??? I just want my devices and OS to work and well..I find consistent glitches across the Android OS..I am still on the fence if I that I may go with a Note 4 but I dont like TouchWiz and I do not like installing new ROMS..

So I wanna move over but I am afraid of missing Google too much and have to shell $$$ for another phone..

You don't need to disconnect from google. All of those things from android (albeit to a lesser extent in some cases) are available on IOS. Google apps work great as does google now with the search app. Why not have the best of both worlds? iPhone 6+ and all of your favorite google apps.
    Marven Massey likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

I was having the same concerns. I've always considered moving to Apple, but could not stomach the thought of having such a small device. I use a Macbook too, and because I was able to use all of Google apps on iOS it was kind of a no-brainer. Its the best of both worlds.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    970 Global Posts

I am heavily invested in the Googleverse personally and at my job. I use Gmail, Maps, Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Music, Google+, the list goes on. They all work great on iOS. For Google Now, just download the Google App. Launch it, and say Hey Google and take it from there. You'll adjust pretty quickly. The school district I do IT support for is all Mac and iPads. The students and teachers all use Google Drive and Docs to collaborate on work, all from iPads. Fear not, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Hey folks,

I love Android BC
    1. Notifications
    2. Google Now

I love iPhone BC
    3. Apple Support
    4. Great hardware

Google and IOS have came a long way in my opinion.

I was a heavy android user until the six dropped. I'm pleasantly surprised how well the two get along.

Aside from no push in the mail app, I'm satisfied as an android lover with this iPhone and iOS.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Nanite

Thanks everyone for your remarks and comments! Looks like I don't need to give up Google..I do like their apps alot..it's great to see I can have both..now if IOS could do some notifications like Android, that would be great!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Thanks everyone for your remarks and comments! Looks like I don't need to give up Google..I do like their apps alot..it's great to see I can have both..now if IOS could do some notifications like Android, that would be great!
    Maybe with IOS 9 that will happen. Who knows, but apple does seem to be getting a little more open with the OS, I mean finally allowing quick reply in certain apps and also allowing 3rd party keyboards in IOS8