Otter box symmetry and bending

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In your opinion does the otter box add any defense to the bending problem? Just swapped my old s5 a 64gb silver six plus. Worried about bending. I am a dude who always has his phone in his pocket but they are definitely not skinny jeans. A little paranoid due to the hype I've noticed online.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
It will be fine. I have one and a bunch of other cases and keep it in my pocket. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The bending problem is way over blown in my opinion. There are plenty of phones that will bend if you don't use common sense. Put a case on it and don't go around sitting on the phone and you should be good to go. Enjoy your phone. There is a lot to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What bending problem? There is no bending problem, unless you put it in your back pocket and sit on it a lot. Even then it's just a maybe. Any large size phone can bend with enough pressure. But you'll be fine.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I agree with everyone. I have tried lots of cases but the Symmetry is my favorite. Offers great protection without too much bulk.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't worry too much about bending, even without a case. But with one, (of just about any type) you will be just fine. Don't let the overblown 'Bendgate' scare you. :)

MaciLicous

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
There is a bending problem. Just cause your phone doesn't look bent doesn't mean it isn't bent. There have been others who have bent their phone having it in their front pocket and sitting down or driving with it in their front pockets. It will warp over time if you continue do that. So it's not just back pockets and sitting down on it that will cause a bend. It will bend if you drop it too with a case on it. So be careful. My phone didn't look bent and you couldn't tell where it was bent. According to Apple's table test where they hung the camera part off the table. Push on either side if it wobbles the phone is consider to be bent. I just wish people would admit there is a design flaw. No product or no one is flawless. So error and defects happen. If this wasn't true phones wouldn't continue to improve if there were perfect before. It shouldn't be that easy to bend a phone. You shouldn't have to change your style or your way of living for a phone because of a design flaw. Don't be delusional to a possible problem. I think you should be aware of the issue so you can prevent the bending from happening.

According to a lot people on this forum. I'm fraudulent. Lol I went to Apple Store for my display not a bent phone. I was never asked if I dropped my phone. But I'm a Fraud for forgetting about two drops 5 weeks ago and when my expensive "$900 phone" being dropped was not the issue. I don't know about other people in this forum but my phone is not the most valuable thing in my life. I have a lot stuff going on good and bad that take up priority in my memory bank. I have personal stuff, stress, family, friends, career (which allows me to buy an over $900 phone) and priceless memories that don't include documenting in a spreadsheet and remembering every incident I have with an Apple product.

Sent from my Glamorous Gold iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Anything will bend with the right amount of pressure. Or it could deform from a drop if it hits a surface at a chance angle. Certain cases may reduce the chance of a certain type of damage.

Is their a design flaw in the iPhone 6 Plus? I have no idea because I'm not a iPhone engineer or designer. Could it be a design? Anything is possible. I don't know.

There was discussion about the 5S bending. If I remember correctly last year someone posted a pic of a bent 5S that they felt was caused by their case.
My 5S never bent.

All one can do is be careful of how they pocket it or how they carry it.
If a certain case makes a user feel more secure that's cool. Do what you need to do protect it.

I try to be mindful of how I'm handling my phone but anything could happen. I don't worry about it bending I'm just trying to enjoy it. If it were to bend I'll just deal with at that time.

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I saw a bunch of people jumped all over you in your post. That kind of stuff makes me hate "apple" people. Some of them have the same mentality as an extremist "insert religion here" follower. Makes me ashamed to even be apart of the forum. I switched back from android but you would have hardly ever saw that on android central forums and here it tends to be the norm. I just want a phone that works best for me and for now it's my 6+. maybe next time it will be something else. I wish people could help people find a solution to a problem or offer advice instead of looking for loopholes in someone's story and berating them on the Internet. I thought you had every right to be upset and any reasonable person would assume that an engineer would design a phone to not fall apart from a height of an average person. Certainly someone with that degree of expertise would not have overlooked the fact that life happens.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. I saw a bunch of people jumped all over you in your post. That kind of stuff makes me hate "apple" people. Some of them have the same mentality as an extremist "insert religion here" follower. Makes me ashamed to even be apart of the forum. I switched back from android but you would have hardly ever saw that on android central forums and here it tends to be the norm. I just want a phone that works best for me and for now it's my 6+. maybe next time it will be something else. I wish people could help people find a solution to a problem or offer advice instead of looking for loopholes in someone's story and berating them on the Internet. I thought you had every right to be upset and any reasonable person would assume that an engineer would design a phone to not fall apart from a height of an average person. Certainly someone with that degree of expertise would not have overlooked the fact that life happens.

Ok, welcome back.

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
All phones bend. Period, point, blank although a case does minimize the chances of your phone bending. Any case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art H

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
There is a bending problem. Just cause your phone doesn't look bent doesn't mean it isn't bent. There have been others who have bent their phone having it in their front pocket and sitting down or driving with it in their front pockets. It will warp over time if you continue do that. So it's not just back pockets and sitting down on it that will cause a bend. It will bend if you drop it too with a case on it. So be careful. My phone didn't look bent and you couldn't tell where it was bent. According to Apple's table test where they hung the camera part off the table. Push on either side if it wobbles the phone is consider to be bent. I just wish people would admit there is a design flaw. No product or no one is flawless. So error and defects happen. If this wasn't true phones wouldn't continue to improve if there were perfect before. It shouldn't be that easy to bend a phone. You shouldn't have to change your style or your way of living for a phone because of a design flaw. Don't be delusional to a possible problem. I think you should be aware of the issue so you can prevent the bending from happening.

According to a lot people on this forum. I'm fraudulent. Lol I went to Apple Store for my display not a bent phone. I was never asked if I dropped my phone. But I'm a Fraud for forgetting about two drops 5 weeks ago and when my expensive "$900 phone" being dropped was not the issue. I don't know about other people in this forum but my phone is not the most valuable thing in my life. I have a lot stuff going on good and bad that take up priority in my memory bank. I have personal stuff, stress, family, friends, career (which allows me to buy an over $900 phone) and priceless memories that don't include documenting in a spreadsheet and remembering every incident I have with an Apple product.

With all due respect lets get something clear here; people jumped on you because your story didn't have continuity and linearity. In your own title to the thread you suggested the phone had never been dropped. You later stated you dropped it a few times in a case. You also stated that you waited for over two hours, but you then claimed that you were there on your lunch break? You also stated that the reason they replaced your phone was because they felt bad about making you wait?

I'm not calling you a liar nor am I going to vilify you like many have for stating your gripes but I don't think you came off well given the entire context of your banter on the thread you created. I'm not suggesting it didn't happen you just should have clarified a few details and made sure you didn't omit anything. Having said that I don't believe a $1000 phone should bend from a few drops. I don't take any special care of my phone and am very active and have already dropped it half a dozen times, a few times the drops were fairly critical. I sit on my phone constantly, I will not change the way I use my phone (I purchased Applecare+ for the reasons mentioned) and I don't have any bends yet.

Better luck with your replacement.....

MaciLicous

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
With all due respect lets get something clear here; people jumped on you because your story didn't have continuity and linearity. In your own title to the thread you suggested the phone had never been dropped. You later stated you dropped it a few times in a case. You also stated that you waited for over two hours, but you then claimed that you were there on your lunch break? You also stated that the reason they replaced your phone was because they felt bad about making you wait?

I'm not calling you a liar nor am I going to vilify you like many have for stating your gripes but I don't think you came off well given the entire context of your banter on the thread you created. I'm not suggesting it didn't happen you just should have clarified a few details and made sure you didn't omit anything. Having said that I don't believe a $1000 phone should bend from a few drops. I don't take any special care of my phone and am very active and have already dropped it half a dozen times, a few times the drops were fairly critical. I sit on my phone constantly, I will not change the way I use my phone (I purchased Applecare+ for the reasons mentioned) and I don't have any bends yet.

Better luck with your replacement.....

I don't care if anyone liked my banter or not. It's truth and I had a horrible experience. Come at me in a respectful way. I don't need any clarity. I'm not going to come to a petty forum and lie to a one minded community who tries to outcast and degrade others who don't think like them. What do I have to gain from that? I believe I have the freedom of speech at least here in America I do. My bad experience is not going to do any harm to your guys precious Apple empire. I'm sure most of you guys are not getting paid by Apple. I see some of you guys don't know how to deferred information from what's stated. So if I say went on my lunch break. But I waited over two hours (almost 3 hours) after being seen. That means my lunch break turned into over 3 hour lunch break. I said I missed my work hours in my original post. I'm lucky. I have a salary job and my job is flexible. Also lucky I didn't have any meetings that day. Smh...i was there for a lunch break that turned into 3+ hours (total time including appointment, waiting, getting replacement) what's not to understand... You can't believe that wonderful Apple had me waiting for over 2 hours after they took my phone and total experience was over 3 hours. I even had people who had appointments after me who were approached by their techs before me. I guess you didn't read the post you quoted me since you interrogating me about not mentioning dropping phone in my original post. I didn't remember and don't care honestly. To have someone on this forum blame me for AppleCare increasing really people like me is the reason it's increasing. How about inflation of the dollar and phones becoming more expensive for the increase in AppleCare. I believe Apple was sued for lack of coverage in the original AppleCare plan for iPhone and iPod. I have a Warranty not through Apple. Through Verizon and SquareTrade. So I was never going to pay that amount for a replacement.

Yup how many times I have to say they only replaced my phone for free because of bad service and wait time. That's what came out of the lead Tech's mouth.

My story is not changing. I honestly have nothing to prove to any of you. I posted my story to warn others that the phone can bend without extreme force and the horrible service I received. I never had a phone bend before. I do think it's unacceptable after 42 days of having a phone in a case with tempered glass protector. You guys only looking for a loophole because you don't believe the phone can bend that easy. But mine did. End of story.

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious. I don't know if your drops caused your phone to bend or not but
You initially took your phone in for a screen issue correct?
Let me say this. I've had nothing but good experiences from Apple CS but that's not to say you didn't have a bad experience.
This screen repair was to take 30 mins right?
Why did it take 2 hours to determine your phone was bent? I don't know maybe that's how long it takes. I'm not a Apple tech.
Was the screen removed and when a new screen was being put on. Was it that it wouldn't go on because it was bent? Does this take 2 hours?
I'm open to all possibilities because if I'm not there in Apple Store when it went down I don't have first hand information.
Some possibilities may be.

Dropping the Phone caused it to deform or bend.
Some other type of pressure in your purse caused it to bend.
The Apple Genius/ Tech bent the phone putting a screen on and put it on you.
It's all possible.
The only way I could know anything for sure is to be there when it happened.

MaciLicous

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious. I don't know if your drops caused your phone to bend or not but
You initially took your phone in for a screen issue correct?
Let me say this. I've had nothing but good experiences from Apple CS but that's not to say you didn't have a bad experience.
This screen repair was to take 30 mins right? Why did it take 2 hours to determine your phone was bent? I don't know maybe that's how long it takes. I'm not a Apple tech.
Was the screen removed and when a new screen was being put on. Was it that it wouldn't go on because it was bent? Does this take 2 hours?
I'm open to all possibilities because if I'm not there in Apple Store when it went down I don't have first hand information.
Some possibilities may be.

The Apple Genius/ Tech bent the phone putting a screen on and put it on you.
It's all possible.
The only way I could know anything for sure is to be there when it happened.

This screen repair was to take 30 mins right?

Yes. I didn't say anything until about 2 hours had passed since he took my phone. The lady that came maybe like 40 minutes after me. Her Tech had bought her phone and she had her display replaced too. So I ask the person with the iPad what was up with my phone it had been over 2 hours and it was only supposd to be 30 minutes. I was quite patient.

Why did it take 2 hours to determine your phone was bent?

I don't know. I never saw my Tech. He stayed in the back. I didn't see him work with anyone else. Like the other techs did. So why I thought he was working on my phone. He looked at my phone before he took it back too and checked for water damage. He said when he came back he noticed it was bent after this table test.

Was the screen removed and when a new screen was being put on. Was it that it wouldn't go on because it was bent?

Nothing was done to my original phone. Screen never removed. He did open my screen before he took it back to check to see if there was water damage. And check SIM card area for the water damage sensor. He said he didn't see any water damage and that the display would be replace for free. It's possible he bent it when he opened the screen idk. I never known my phone to be bent. It was only mentioned after the long wait.

Doubt it. Wasn't bad falls. My case is hard plastic with a plastic gel bumper. Hard plastic case which can crack easily has no cracks. Tempered glass had no damage.

No, keys, lip glosses and wallet. Doubt that will bend my phone.

Last edited:

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
To answer the original question.. the otter box should protect it from bending but to be honest most cases should as well. I think if it was that common we would have more first hand accounts of it. And the people in the videos had to physically bend it with their hands. Don't do that. Don't sit on it in your back pocket. Its a slim phone so obviously applying lots of pressure will bend it which is the same for many other phones. Enjoy the phone and if you want to be scared of something be scared of dropping it and smashing the screen since its more likely to happen.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I love how MaciLicious turned this into a "to be continued" thread...complete with more run on sentences that nobody is reading!

Makes me love this "petty" forum, lol.

Also, MaciLicious, freedom of speech is a wonderful thing...I'm glad you understand that you have it and use it. It's the same freedom that I enjoy when I tell you that your posts are full of foul excrement and entitlement.

The service employees like the ones you bad mouth here on the forums don't deserve the lip service they get from people like you, who instead of facing their own shortcomings and negligence demand things be done their own way, even if there is no logic behind it. It's a real problem in our society today...a cancer if you will...and it's spreading like wildfire unfortunately.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh