#Bendgate happened to me...after I dropped my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaciLicous

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty much pissed with Apple. So I took my iPhone to the store to get my display fixed. I had some weird spots on my display. So the Tech inspects my phone to make sure it wasn't water damage didn't see any signs of water damage. So the Genius Tech took my phone. He said it would take about 30 minutes to fix and it would be cover by Warranty. So over 2 hours went by and I saw customers who came in after me get Service and leave. I ask about my phone. So around 5 to 7 minutes later. The Tech walks out with my phone and replacement phone box. Tells me my phone was bent. And I would have to pay $329 for the replacement. First off, I had my phone in a case with tempered glass since day one. Never had my phone in a pocket. Carried only in purse btw my phone is the heaviest item in my purse. Never dropped my phone. So how did my phone get it bent. I never knew my phone was bent. It didn't look bent by looking with naked eye. I ask the different techs to show where my phone was bent. They couldn't show me by pointing it out on my phone nor did my phone wobble when it was completely on the table. The test they did to show it was bent. Was hanging the camera section part of the phone off the table and press either side if your phone wobbles its bent (no case on). I believe I received a bent phone out of the box or a defective phone for it to bend that easily under normal use. So I had to talk to 3 people. Apple still wanted me to pay $329. No way I was going to pay that I just paid $500 for this iPhone 6 + 128GB. I asked to use one of their phones or charger to charge my phone received my phone back at 1%. The lead Tech refused said it was against policy that I couldn't call AppleCare from an Apple Store since they are also AppleCare. So he comes back he says because of your bad service and long wait. We are going to give you the replacement for free. Not because we believe your phone was bent under normal use... Blah blah blah... The phone only bends under extreme force it will not bend under normal circumstances. #Bendgate is real. I thought too that it would only bend under extreme force and use but that not true.

Sent from my Glamorous Gold iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Andrawer

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: #Bendgate happened to me...

Yep I would've been more than upset if Apple fixit guys pulled that stuff on me.
Glad it worked out for you ... and they said they were giving you a new phone because they inconvenienced you? Sounds like they realized they screwed up and we're trying to cover up.

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty much pissed with Apple. So I took my iPhone to the store to get my display fixed. I had some weird spots on my display. So the Tech inspects my phone to make sure it wasn't water damage didn't see any signs of water damage. So the Genius Tech took my phone. He said it would take about 30 minutes to fix and it would be cover by Warranty. So over 2 hours went by and I saw customers who came in after me get Service and leave. I ask about my phone. So around 5 to 7 minutes later. The Tech walks out with my phone and replacement phone box. Tells me my phone was bent. And I would have to pay $329 for the replacement. First off, I had my phone in a case with tempered glass since day one. Never had my phone in a pocket. Carried only in purse btw my phone is the heaviest item in my purse. Never dropped my phone. So how did my phone get it bent. I never knew my phone was bent. It didn't look bent by looking with naked eye. I ask the different techs to show where my phone was bent. They couldn't show me by pointing it out on my phone nor did my phone wobble when it was completely on the table. The test they did to show it was bent. Was hanging the camera section part of the phone off the table and press either side if your phone wobbles its bent (no case on). I believe I received a bent phone out of the box or a defective phone for it to bend that easily under normal use. So I had to talk to 3 people. Apple still wanted me to pay $329. No way I was going to pay that I just paid $500 for this iPhone 6 + 128GB. I asked to use one of their phones or charger to charge my phone received my phone back at 1%. The lead Tech refused said it was against policy that I couldn't call AppleCare from an Apple Store since they are also AppleCare. So he comes back he says because of your bad service and long wait. We are going to give you the replacement for free. Not because we believe your phone was bent under normal use... Blah blah blah... The phone only bends under extreme force it will not bend under normal circumstances. #Bendgate is real. I thought too that it would only bend under extreme force and use but that not true.

So Did you get a new phone or what?

MaciLicous

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

So your pissed at your experience? But you still got a replacement phone in the end? Sorry about your treatment but it sounds like you got a good result at the end. The replacement was more than likely a brand new phone just not in a retail box with headphones and charger.

It was the whole experience and treatment. And I'm disappointed in my Apple product because it should withstand normal usage without bending. Always thought of all my Apple products as quality products. I didn't like being blame for the problem of my phone being bent. The problem was being given a defective phone. I never did that bent test when I received my phone. Just assumed my phone was in perfect condition based on my experience with Apple products.

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Thats why I buy applecare+. The phone could be bent in half like a taco and they are going to replace it.

Glad to hear they took care of you though!

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

Glad it worked out for u in the end. Finally received my 6+. I didn't get applecare, but I may reconsider now.

MaciLicous

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
#Bendgate happened to me...

This story smells of a certain substance...can't quite put my finger on it...

Smells like truth you are being a real a hole shaking my freaking head...I had an iPhone since the 4 so I'm actually big Apple fan also own MacBook Pro, iPods, and iPad.I'm just disappointed that Apple would put out product that it is not durable under normal use...don't **** off already pissed off person. I might go postal in this forum. I was just warning others that these phones can bend with normal use. Like I said before It's not a noticeable bend you wouldn't notice with your eyes alone. I never would had thought my phone was bent. I hope nothing bad happens to your phone lol

Last edited:

MaciLicous

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

Kinda what I was thinking, but I was being nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the truth. I have a life and a great job. I have no reason to make up stories. It wouldn't be on forum. I have friends to talk to and get attention from. Lol it was a warning. Just informing others that you can bend your phone under normal use. If their phone is ever bent it will be consider out of Warranty because your phone would be considered physically damaged which would void the warranty.

MaciLicous

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

Where?s Paul Harvey when you need him? I?d love to know "the rest of the story".

Who the heck is Paul Harvey? There is nothing more they gave me the replacement for free after I said I wanted to tell to AppleCare on phone (the last tech went to the back I guess discuss the situation with his manager when they found out how long I been waiting. I was also hysterical and crying and upset and pissed off. I was given a free replacement only because of my bad service and long wait.
According to the tech I would had to pay for replacement if I didn't have bad service and long wait time. I went to Apple Store during lunch break. I had scheduled appointment during my appointment my tech said it would take 30 minutes for display replacement. Never saw my Tech during my wait time so I thought he was working on my phone. I was supposed to go back to work. I missed some work hours because they took so long. I always been a very nice (too nice) and patient, considerate person. But as I get older I'm becoming more assertive and not accepting bull crap. I'm going to call a spade a spade. No point in making up an excuse not accepting the truth. Even if the truth hurts. It needs to be said.

Last edited:

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Smh, I know now not to come here & ask for help or share my experience if something bad happens w my phone. Fanboys come out the wood works & attack or accuse u of false accusations over a damn phone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

This story smells of a certain substance...can't quite put my finger on it...

The smell of what comes out of Roseanne after binging on some Taco Bell.

I don't care if anyone thinks I'm a fanboy or not. The account of this story by the OP seems as though it is missing an integral part. That's just me though.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

OP- perhaps the bend happened when you dropped the phone. In this post you mentioned dropping the phone twice, in a slim gel non protective case.

I'm loving my classy and elegant Case-Mate Sheer Glam case. It looks so beautiful with my gold iPhone 6+. The case still shows off the iPhone's design because it's sheer with a sparkly, shimmery glitter look. If your daughter is a girly girl then she will love this design. These pics do no justice for the real thing. Its actual more sheer in person than these pictures show. It offers great protection too. I dropped my phone twice still no damage. Once in the kitchen from chest height (so almost from 5 feet) to tile floor. I also dropped it from my desk at work to carpeted floor no damage at all. I have my beautiful case paired with the ZAGG Glass screen protector. It too is still in mint condition after two falls. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/14/3fa5a0b26b0e8b5447ed610d5ba9abaa.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/14/d3d8a1219e6ab21e2ede40d082497400.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/14/778b4aae29364552f98eea48c81669d0.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/14/b56b9c49be9c5bf5a645066382ed2668.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/14/efb8c665f1aedd9c09e600cbe70cb3a4.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/14/d550495031a6431d008348b7d49c6227.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

OP- perhaps the bend happened when you dropped the phone. In this post you mentioned dropping the phone twice, in a slim gel non protective case.

And there is the rest of the story. It's not that we were bashing or being vindictive towards OP. It's simply that there was posts about the phone being dropped. Accountability is key. If you admit to dropping a device, then recanted the statement, that's still a level of fraud in my eyes. Apple replaced their device for free but just keep in mind that for every dishonest person, they'll eventually end up costing the rest of us.

Notice the price of Apple Care + as it increases. Pay attention to small changes in warranty coverages and return periods. This is a big company protecting itself from fraud. Think of what that's really starting to cost OP!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Smh, I know now not to come here & ask for help or share my experience if something bad happens w my phone. Fanboys come out the wood works & attack or accuse u of false accusations over a damn phone.

You can ask for help and you can share information and this site will respond. But when there is a story that seems implausible and upon searching you find facts that were omitted out of the original story, then those who questioned the original story had a right to be incredulous.
In the OP, it states that the phone was never dropped. A month ago there was a post that describes the phone being dropped from chest high, about five feet, onto a tile floor. It is possible that the phone bent at that point and that the Apple tech was in fact correct in what he saw.
That Apple still gave the OP a new device speaks to Apple's stellar customer service.
Try the same thing with another company's flagship devices which are experiencing displays that are coming loose and lifting off the phone. Customers have been led on a merry chase with ever rising frustration levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal