Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40
Like Tree16Likes
  1. #26  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,786 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Quote Originally Posted by ig33k View Post
    I own a 6+ and I can say that this phone is perfect as a phone and as a replacement for a tablet. I can enjoy lot of media on it and when I need, I can even work. The Pages and Keynote work flawlessly, so my advice is to go for the 6 plus.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 PLUS!
    This phone cannot replace a tablet. Not if you use one to get actual work done, in a non limited manner.
    The reason why a lot of people are putting their iPads down for this phone is because they didn't really use those iPads as productivity devices to begin with its. They just used them as bigger iPhones. Which is fine cause Apple basically designed them that way. They basically run a smartphone OS.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
  2. #27  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    This phone cannot replace a tablet. Not if you use one to get actual work done, in a non limited manner.
    Perhaps it can't for you...my brother had a surface pro and just recently got the 6+...says he never uses the surface anymore for anything, work or otherwise...and he used nothing BUT his tablet in his car while on the road for work. Obviously this is a case by case situation, but given the abilities of the iPhone and iPad being almost identical, I think it could easily replace a tablet for some people.
  3. #28  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,786 Global Posts

    Default iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Perhaps it can't for you...my brother had a surface pro and just recently got the 6+...says he never uses the surface anymore for anything, work or otherwise. Obviously this is a case by case situation, but given the abilities of the iPhone and iPad being almost identical, I think it could easily replace a tablet for some people.
    Not sure what he does for a living. But the surface is basically a complete windows Ultrabook hybrid. It can do anything a desktop can do, so it's pretty much what I said. There's a metric ton of stuff this phone can't do that a tablet like a surface can do, like run full windows software like Photoshop, Corel Painter, Dartfish, or even a Visual Studio IDE.

    Smartphones are very capable so I'm well aware they can "replace" a tablet for users with quite basic needs. However, the only tablets this phone can truly replace are those running fairly stock smartphone operating systems, like an iPad Mini or Nexus 7.

    Yes it's definitely case by case as to how it fits for the person, but it's not something that can generally be called a tablet replacement by anyone who uses a tablet as anything more than an oversized smartphone.

    Many people are using it in lieu of a tablet because that's all the tablets ever were to them.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    TechnologyTwitt likes this.
  4. #29  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Not sure what he does for a living. But the surface is basically a complete windows Ultrabook hybrid. It can do anything a desktop can do, so it's pretty much what I said. There's a metric ton of stuff this phone can't do that a tablet like a surface can do, like run full windows software like Photoshop, Corel Painter, Dartfish, or even a Visual Studio IDE.

    Smartphones are very capable so I'm well aware they can "replace" a tablet for users with quite basic needs. However, the only tablets this phone can truly replace are those running fairly stock smartphone operating systems, like an iPad Mini or Nexus 7.

    Yes it's definitely case by case as to how it fits for the person, but it's not something that can generally be called a tablet replacement by anyone who uses a tablet as anything more than an oversized smartphone.

    Many people are using it in lieu of a tablet because that's all the tablets ever were to them.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    And I disagree with you...from what I understand, his usage includes a slew of clerical things you'd feel a true computer would be optimal for, scheduling for his tech guys, contract development and editing, blah blah blah. From what I saw him doing on his 6 Plus over thanksgiving, it's a very capable device perfectly suited for the demands of someone used to using a more work focused tablet like the surface pro.

    But again...case by case. Some people don't want to deal with work arounds and stuff on a smart phone when they have a more direct path of doing things on a tablet. He runs one of the largest HVAC companies in Atlanta's sales team and in home technicians so I'd say his demand is pretty high on whatever device he's using.

    I think you're generalizing things a bit too much.
  5. #30  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,786 Global Posts

    Default iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    And I disagree with you...from what I understand, his usage includes a slew of clerical things you'd feel a true computer would be optimal for, scheduling for his tech guys, contract development and editing, blah blah blah. From what I saw him doing on his 6 Plus over thanksgiving, it's a very capable device perfectly suited for the demands of someone used to using a more work focused tablet like the surface pro.

    But again...case by case. Some people don't want to deal with work arounds and stuff on a smart phone when they have a more direct path of doing things on a tablet. He runs one of the largest HVAC companies in Atlanta's sales team and in home technicians so I'd say his demand is pretty high on whatever device he's using.

    I think you're generalizing things a bit too much.
    Clerical things...

    Very high demand for an operating system. Something you can do on a Surface with practically no apps installed on it. Yea... That means a Windows Phone would accomplish that just as well, and they have even bigger screens.

    I never said smartphones were inadequate at PIM and data entry, email and scheduling.

    Thinking and assuming aren't synonyms.

    The only difference between a 6 Plus and an iPad is the screen size.
  6. #31  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Clerical things...

    Very high demand for an operating system. Something you can do on a Surface with practically no apps installed on it. Yea... That means a Windows Phone would accomplish that just as well, and they have even bigger screens.

    I never said smartphones were inadequate at PIM and data entry, email and scheduling.

    But I think your blowing it out of proportion by suggesting he's running an HVAC company off an iPhone, cause I know he's not given I have relatives in that industry.

    Surface Pro isn't a work focused tablet - Microsoft just pushes harder there cause the price puts it out of reach for many consumers. It's just a high spec windows tablet. Not much different than any other except the digitizer/stylus. It's literally a full PC.

    And practically the whole world agrees that an iPhone is not a replacement for a PC. It's why 99% of us still have one.

    Thinking and assuming aren't synonyms.

    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    I never said he was running the company with his phone...perhaps reading a little more carefully would benefit you. I said he was running two large teams of people with his phone, and I think you're over generalizing things by saying that it CAN'T replace a tablet...those were YOUR words. It certainly CAN replace a tablet for a lot of people, and I've seen it do it first hand.

    When you make a comment like you did, then you back track and start putting limiting criteria on such, you yourself are making my argument so much more accurate. You said it can't...that was overly generic.
  7. #32  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,786 Global Posts

    Default iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    It can't replace a tablet. If you're doing basic stuff you can replace the very basic things you use the tablet for with the phone. I think I made that clear.

    What you described. It's very basic crap that any smartphone and even some feature phones can do. That's a pretty weak example.

    You can do that on Windows Mobile phones from 2006. Apple didn't need to release a phone let to enable people to do that. He was just doing basic stuff on the phone because of convenience. That's not replacing a tablet. That's realizing you wasted money on a device that was unnecessary because you don't require more than the phone offers to begin with. Which is a low bar considering iOS isn't known for its flexibility, giving control to the user, or power in the feature/extensibility sense.

    I think that's a pretty solid concept and it shouldn't be hard to understand.

    This phone replaces iPads, which are basically huge iPhones. The reason why Apple stuck with the tiny screens so long was so hey didn't cannibalize iPad sales, which the Plus is doing right now.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 12-04-2014 at 11:45 AM.
  8. #33  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    It can't replace a tablet. If you're doing basic stuff you can replace the very basic things you use the tablet for with the phone. I think I made that clear.

    What you described. It's very basic crap that any smartphone and even some feature phones can do. That's a pretty weak example.

    You can do that on Windows Mobile phones from 2006. Apple didn't need to release a phone let to enable people to do that. He was just doing basic stuff on the phone because of convenience. That's not replacing a tablet. That's realizing you wasted money on a device that was unnecessary because you don't require more than the phone offers to begin with. Which is a low bar considering iOS isn't known for its flexibility, giving control to the user, or power in the feature/extensibility sense.

    I think that's a pretty solid concept and it shouldn't be hard to understand.

    This phone replaces iPads, which are basically huge iPhones. The reason why Apple stuck with the tiny screens so long was so hey didn't cannibalize iPad sales, which the Plus is doing right now.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    It's not a hard concept to understand...you think your opinion is fact, and your opinion is overly generic. Pretty simple really. For some people, the iPhone can replace what they used a tablet for...your initial comment said "to get actual work done"...and some how you feel that your idea of actual work is what everyone should accept as the definition as such...this again goes back to you being overly generic about things.

    The iPhone 6 Plus can certainly replace a tablet for a lot of people...and for a lot of people it can't. I'm not sitting here trying to argue that ANY smart phone can replace ANY tablet for EVERY person, but you certainly approached that mark with your comments initially by saying that it absolutely cannot replace a tablet, which is simply untrue.

    You can create your own defined criteria to fit your own argument all day long...again, my comment simply stated that it's case by case and that for some people, who do ACTUAL WORK on these devices...the iPhone 6 Plus can very competently replace a tablet for many people.
  9. #34  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,786 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Goodnight


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
  10. #35  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Goodnight


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    That was quick.
  11. #36  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,786 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    No didn't read that. I'm literally going to bed right now.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
  12. #37  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    No didn't read that. I'm literally going to bed right now.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    That sucks, it's the middle of the day here and I wanted to debate some more...lol. To be continued...
  13. #38  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,786 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    I sleep during the afternoon. I have a schedule that is opposite of most people's.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
  14. #39  
    chinmay007's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    Wow! Lots of big arguments have been here, most are opinions and some are facts. But all said and done any device in the market (or at least the ones spoken about here ) are well endowed in terms of hardware. Only difference is about the software they run and are allowed to run.
    Apple has already stratified the "availability" of apps for iPhone and iPad. There are lots of apps which are available for iPad and not for iPhone. With the screen size issue now more or less gone we should be able to see common apps for iPad and iPhones.
    Then the choice will just be based on screen size and portability.
  15. #40  
    iEd
    iEd is offline
    iEd's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,421 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

    Default iPhone 6+ or iPad air?

    I believe it depends on what a user is doing with these two devices that can make a Plus replace a iPad.
    Some may need or desire both some one or the other.
    Although I have a Plus I still need a iPad for certain tasks just because of the size of the iPads interface/screen being close to a sheet to legal paper in size.
    So it just depends on what one does. All of these devices represents a choice You can have one or all. Its up to you.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 08:22 PM
  2. Hi iPhone Lovers
    By AnnaSmith21988 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 11:51 AM
  3. How do I delete videos taken with my iPhone 5c?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  4. Did I just turn my iPhone into a really expensive paper weight?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2014, 04:50 AM

Posting Permissions