Is a tempered glass worth it?

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The reason I ask this is because due to the rounded sides, the new glass protectors don't cover the whole display like they did on the 5s, so if you were to drop your phone, there's a possibility that the display may not be protected (the sides mainly), because those are still exposed. I know a guy in one of my classes who has a glass shield on and he's dropped it before and the side bezel is cracked and continues underneath the glass shield onto the real display. So the glass shield did't help out at all (and he has a case). There's always the iloome one but I'm skeptical as to how well those protect the sides and that they may cause case compatibility issues. I guess that's my biggest concern, the sides. Anyone who has a glass shield on, is it worth it? How do you cope with something like this?

sicario666

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
There's no true protection against drops. I have a zagg tempered glass shield on mine. They work well. I'm an electrician so I need a screen protector that will take abuse. Plastic protectors don't last me long at all. The glass was well worth it for me. You have to be sure that you place it directly on the flat surface of the screen though. I've got mine mounted about 1/16" to the left and it did crack a little. But zagg does warranty their product.

53N7 9R0M M4 i6+

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
There's no true protection against drops. I have a zagg tempered glass shield on mine. They work well. I'm an electrician so I need a screen protector that will take abuse. Plastic protectors don't last me long at all. The glass was well worth it for me. You have to be sure that you place it directly on the flat surface of the screen though. I've got mine mounted about 1/16" to the left and it did crack a little. But zagg does warranty their product.

53N7 9R0M M4 i6+

I feel compared to the ones for the 6/6+, the 5s glass shields fared a lot better mostly because they actually wrapped around the entire bezels whereas the news ones do not. I know there's no such thing as "true protection" when it comes to these, but I feel since the new ones do not wrap around the display completely like the 5/5s ones did, that's why I'm questioning if they're worth the money.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If a $30 screen protector is causing you this much strife when it comes to a decision or worthiness, I'm not sure my assessment of value would be beneficial to you. To me, it's well worth the investment for what it does protect...and I rarely ever remember it's even there...almost a no brainer so long as you install it properly.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
do you need it... NOPE. Does it give you a bit of insurance from scratching etc, YEP...

I used to use them all the time and then stopped, just didn't see the value. I just picked up the iLoome for the 6 and 6 plus to test them and so far I am impressed.

Rnkriis

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
do you need it... NOPE. Does it give you a bit of insurance from scratching etc, YEP...

I used to use them all the time and then stopped, just didn't see the value. I just picked up the iLoome for the 6 and 6 plus to test them and so far I am impressed.

Perfectly said!!!!!! The iLomme's do have the contour of the 6 and 6+ screen. The only reason i do use one is for protection of the screen, the glass protectors will break before the screen itself.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Perfectly said!!!!!! The iLomme's do have the contour of the 6 and 6+ screen. The only reason i do use one is for protection of the screen, the glass protectors will break before the screen itself.

I had never heard of them, so I looked them up, watched a video review, and then purchased one for a six and a six plus.

vncmgn

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Just get the cheapest tempered glass you're in for better than naked protection if you want full screen though I think there's iLoome and Moshi but both have the colored sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Since you have the iLoome on your 6+ how is it holding up with a case on it? I have read they will lift up at the edges due to the curved glass on the iLoome.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If you are one who likes screen protectors, yes just for the feel alone, but also you you don't have to worry about scratching the screen.
I don't use one because I think it is going to save my screen from a drop, I use it because I want the phone to mint when I sell it for the next version release.

Rnkriis

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Since you have the iLoome on your 6+ how is it holding up with a case on it? I have read they will lift up at the edges due to the curved glass on the iLoome.

I gotta say that after the iLoome i ended up with a Zagg HDX screen protector. The iLoome ended up lifting a little even though it says it will accommodate the Apple cases and it drove me crazy..... The Zagg covers a little more of the screen than some of the other glass protectors that I've bought and it doesn't have that rubbery feel that the original Zagg has.... Im really impressed with the HDX.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I gotta say that after the iLoome i ended up with a Zagg HDX screen protector. The iLoome ended up lifting a little even though it says it will accommodate the Apple cases and it drove me crazy..... The Zagg covers a little more of the screen than some of the other glass protectors that I've bought and it doesn't have that rubbery feel that the original Zagg has.... Im really impressed with the HDX.

I agree. I have the HDX since getting a new glass. Got it In between the return. The HDX is just as clear as the glass and thinner and has a better fell in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I love tempered glass screen protectors. I got one for my S5 and it lasted for the 5 months that I had it. No bubbles, no marks and it looks and feels like there isn't even a protector on the screen. I've got one on my 6 plus now.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting one for my wife's Iphone just because she throws her's in the purse. No telling what will happen to it. LOL

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro