Switched from Windows Phone to iPhone 6 Plus

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I am also a windows phone veteran, owning a htc hd7, Titan 2 and Lumia 920 over almost 4 years.. Now on with the iPhone 6 plus... I miss windows phone but I don't miss the app gap... And app quality.

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Got a link? I couldn't find anything saying they're bringing it to any other platforms other than WP and possibly windows. There are plenty of articles from mid June speculating about bringing her to other platforms, but nothing more than that.

Cortana is probably the biggest thing I miss about WP, Siri frustrates me to no end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cortana may soon be ready to impart her knowledge onto iPhone, Android users | Windows Central

Cortana may soon be ready to lend her sagely knowledge and wisdom to users of non-Windows Phone platform. Microsoft could soon be ready to unleash Cortana, a digital voice assistant that debuted on Windows Phone, on to competing operating systems to take on the likes of Siri for iOS and Google Now on Android. Though specifics were not disclosed, Microsoft hinted at its plans to free Cortana soon.

According to a report on Business Insider, Microsoft chief experience officer Julie Larson-Green told a group of journalists and analysts that Cortana could be destined to land on other OSes.

When asked if that meant Cortana would eventually come to other operating systems, Larson-Green said, "The short answer is, yeah."

Likely, the experience of using Cortana on a system like iOS or Android would not be as rich or easy as it is on Windows Phone. Microsoft likely won't be able to tap into hardware keys to quickly call up Cortana as it does by a press of the search key on Windows Phone. The case is similar to Google Now for iOS, which requires iPhone users to launch the Google search app to call up Google's digital assistant versus a long press of the home key for the native Siri.

What do you think of iPhone and Android users potentially having access to Cortana in the future?

Update: Or as Rudy Huyn mentions, other OSes could imply Microsoft's own family rather than competing operating systems. In this case, Cortana could be headed to Windows or Xbox.

Sorry, the person who wrote the article or someone at Microsoft did not explain it quite correctly! I just report what I read! ;)

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
So I managed to get an iPhone 6 plus today at the att store and everything.

I don't have my windows phone anymore. The last time when I had my original iPhone, I had my Lumia 1520 but this time I have no Lumia and this is definitely a new experience for me. It's been an hour so far and I am not sure if I hate or like it just yet.

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
i bet everyone here who misses cortana will get used to use siri instead.
bc siri is the best digital assistant out there with the most beautiful UI (imo).. and since you can get the "hey siri" function (with jailbreak also untethered) it's out of cortanas league.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
bc siri is the best digital assistant out there with the most beautiful UI (imo).. and since you can get the "hey siri" function (with jailbreak also untethered) it's out of cortanas league.

Siri definitely is not something that really interest me to be honest as she just feels....weak to me. But I like her better than google now

txdotjim64

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

I suggest you try Cortana, then compare. I've used both, and Siri is not as capable as Cortana at this time.

Alex Gosser

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I suggest you try Cortana, then compare. I've used both, and Siri is not as capable as Cortana at this time.

What can Cortana do that Siri can-not? (Serious question). Setting up appointments, reminding you of something when you get to a location, etc. all all features Siri can do as well. I've seen the Cortana advertisements, and there wasn't a single thing that they said Cortana could do that Siri couldn't do (Regardless of the advertisement would have you believe).

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Everything that Siri can do, Cortana does better. It has a notebook, it remembers things. Siri used the reminders app for notify you if it is location based etc... I also find that Cortana does search a lot better, heck Google now I use to search for restaurants on my iPhone over Siri. Sometimes Siri just sucks. It can do basic things but not much more.

Alex Gosser

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Everything that Siri can do, Cortana does better. It has a notebook, it remembers things. Siri used the reminders app for notify you if it is location based etc... I also find that Cortana does search a lot better, heck Google now I use to search for restaurants on my iPhone over Siri. Sometimes Siri just sucks. It can do basic things but not much more.

Doesn't Siri's search use google?
I've used Siri from everything to googling the location of a restaurant, to reminding me to take out the fish from the freezer when I get home.

GSOgymrat

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
What can Cortana do that Siri can-not? (Serious question). Setting up appointments, reminding you of something when you get to a location, etc. all all features Siri can do as well. I've seen the Cortana advertisements, and there wasn't a single thing that they said Cortana could do that Siri couldn't do (Regardless of the advertisement would have you believe).

Thanks for letting me know about the location reminders. I used location and person reminders on Cortana daily and didn't realize you have to activate these functions in Siri.

So far I've been disappointed in Siri compared to Cortana. Siri frequently just doesn't seem to get things right and I don't understand why. Yesterday I told Siri "Call Cobb Animal Clinic" which is in my contacts and she said "I found fifteen animal hospitals. Tap the one you want to call" and NONE of them were Cobb Animal Clinic even though it is 2 miles from my house. I pulled out Cortana, said "Call Cobb Animal Clinic" and got "Okay, calling Cobb Animal Clinic." A friend and I were driving and trying to locate a cemetery but couldn't remember the exact name. We tried to get Siri to navigate to the location and she didn't get it. I said the same phrase to Cortana and she got it right. It seems like Siri defaults to web searches more than Cortana. I am looking forward to either Siri getting better or Cortana becoming available on iPhone.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Siri just annoys me :p I find her useless and to be honest and as much as I didn't use Cortana, the limited times I used Cortana I found her to be way more useful and personable(I like the spunk she has) than Siri and she actually UNDERSTANDS me better than Siri does.

Siri is probably one of the two reasons I am not currently enjoying my iPhone 6 plus.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have to ask, what is the second reason?

Haha i actually made a post here about more things that annoy me lol
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6-plus/308557-7-things-about-my-6-ios-annoying-me.html

As a former windows phone user i know you will knOw what I am referring too when I say this. Windows phone apps do slightly pale in comparison to their iOS and android counterparts as far as features go.

That we can agree on however after using the the Twitter app, I'm beginning to wonder is it so bad. While the windows phone apps may lack this feature or that feature the usability as far as design goes is better on the windows phone version and they don't feel as bloated as their more mature counterparts.

And don't even get me started on snapchat and Instagram lol. 6tag and 6tin are better by a longshot.

I did finally check out they grindr app that a lot of my friends had been talking about. Not my type of thing id use regularly lol but I will admit it did feel good to be able to check out this or that app that people always talk about. But at the same time having all these apps on iPhones makes me realize it's good for numbers but other than that the app gap really isn't as bad as I thought or people make it out to be tbh.

GSOgymrat

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I think the app gap doesn't matter unless there is something you really want that you can't find. For me it was losing the Zillow app on Windows Phone because I travel a lot and love seeing how much homes cost in different areas. Not being able to do that anymore was completely unacceptable. I know guys who could never switch from iPhone to Windows Phone because their sex lives would "grind" to a halt.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Switching platforms is never a easy process and I find that there is always a certain amount of a learning curve even with a easy OS like iOS. Give it a few weeks and I think you'll get used to your new 6 Plus and enjoy it. If not, no worries. You can always go back to another OS of your choice. Good luck! :)

superb-apps

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I am a windows phone dev. I switched back to iPhone in February and started learning to make an app in iOS, and I was surprised to find out that it's easy to build one that can do so much more. I now have a space gray iPhone 6 Plus.

Alex Gosser

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I think the app gap doesn't matter unless there is something you really want that you can't find. For me it was losing the Zillow app on Windows Phone because I travel a lot and love seeing how much homes cost in different areas. Not being able to do that anymore was completely unacceptable. I know guys who could never switch from iPhone to Windows Phone because their sex lives would "grind" to a halt.

Zillow app is on the iphone. FYI.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW