AT&T rolled out VoLTE today in Atlanta...

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: AT&T rolled out VoLTE today in Atlanta...

Just made a call from work and the wife was on speaker with it raining out and the call seemed very clear. Not sure if it's a coincidence or what but I'll take it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Re: AT&T rolled out Voice over VoLTE today in Atlanta...

If you're on VoLTE and browsing the web (on LTE) while on a call, is it still slow (throttled) like it is now while on a call? I've always hated how throttled data speeds got over a call (3G/4G) when I really needed it the most and in good data coverage areas.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I actually JUST tried it after reading your thread and it seems to browse the internet just fine really...no speed difference I could tell at all.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

If you're on VoLTE and browsing the web (on LTE) while on a call, is it still slow (throttled) like it is now while on a call? I've always hated how throttled data speeds got over a call (3G/4G) when I really needed it the most and in good data coverage areas.

It shouldn't mess with it too much... I am not on AT&T but on T-Mobile & when on a VoLTE call I still get good speeds... I'd imagine AT&T can as well :).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-04-09-29-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-04-09-29-26.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 27

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Then that means that GSM can finally handle both without crippling the data speeds on cellular. It sucks just to try and load a safari page being on a call without wifi.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

And it's working on VZW. Just made a call and browsed the net on 4G. Sweet.

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

I'm in Atlanta on AT&T and I had "call failed" a couple of times today, and a screen that I haven't seen before. I didn't notice a quality difference but was driving. Could be they are testing...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Here's what I've learned...

In order for HD Voice to work...

- Both parties must be using either an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, Samsung Note 4, Galaxy Mini or Galaxy 5.
- Both parties must be using AT&T as their carrier or a carrier that is also using VoLTE (Tmobile in Atlanta is also testing apparently).
- Both parties must be within the area where VoLTE is being introduced.
- Both parties must have network strength capable of LTE (duh).

...so as it sits, it's a pretty limited amount of scenarios where it will work (funny because I was using the Apple contact in my phone early in the thread, which was NOT using VoLTE, lol). I called my sister in San Fran and was not able to have a VoLTE connection...she said they were testing it there but it stopped a couple of weeks ago.

This is also being tested in Chicago and Dallas this week and next week.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm surprised it works when one person is AT&T and the other T-Mobile. Because a week or so ago, AT&T and Verizon announced that they'd have inter-carrier VoLTE in late 2015. So I didn't think it worked across carriers yet.

Yeah I'm not sure what's up with AT&T / Verizon's VoLTE. I know for T-Mobile it doesn't matter what you call.. Someone else.. A land-line.. It always works... But AT&T / Verizon were talking about it being more restrictive.

I believe their HD calling is what the deal was for.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm surprised it works when one person is AT&T and the other T-Mobile. Because a week or so ago, AT&T and Verizon announced that they'd have inter-carrier VoLTE in late 2015. So I didn't think it worked across carriers yet.

I'm going to guess it was a fluke...today there was no improved audio when I talked to him. I honestly have no idea why it would have worked yesterday unless AT&T just didn't realize they didn't lock it down like they wanted to, LOL! Either way, seems to only work with me and my wife now since we're the only ones with new iPhone's.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I just made a call and switched the wifi on and off and it didn't seem to make a difference. And VZW isn't supposed to have it until next year.

Verizon has it already. It's been working in my area for awhile.

eastpointvet

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site

they definitely switched on the volte in atlanta. I got a call from my friend yesterday and actually had to look at my phone because i thought he FaceTime audio me by mistake because it was so clear. Once i realized that he didn't i noticed the LTE sign was still on the phone which normally changes to 4g when i get a phone call. I was impressed its a big difference in the call clarity.

Bmichael78

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site

I switched off wifi and made a call and it goes from LTE to 4G. Amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justinkk2005

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

It's updated on their coverage map displaying HD Voice coverage in a large portion of Central Georgia

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2