Is 1GB of RAM the reason why my apps keep relaunching?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The only app I've really noticed that with is AlienBlue. After using Tapatalk and Reeder, AlienBlue almost always has to reload. Doesn't bother me much because I probably want to see the new posts anyway. But I haven't noticed anything as pervasive as you described.

Same happens to me on the recent version that Reddit branded.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
If I leave safari for about fifteen minutes the page goes blank and then resumes at the spot I had left it at. Compared to my ipad air I'm happy because it used to reload tabs all the time. But this minor issue happens to safari only on my six. It does not happen to other apps. A lot of people say their phone is lagging so I'm kind of happy I got one that is not crashing,reloading, or rebooting. Statistically I usually get the bad batch.

F0REVERY0UNG-

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Just posting to let you know that it happens to me as well, specifically in the Facebook, Tumblr, and Safari apps. It's extremely annoying and I really hope it's not a RAM issue, I hope it's something that can be fixed with updates.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
So I was doing 10,15, 20 min intervals with a lot of frozen apps in the background but I haven't been able to replicate that one instant where it did reload on me. I gradually switched to completely random intervals but have yet to have any app reload on me again even with about ~40MB of ram free. Unless the widget app is giving me false readings, iOS always makes sure there is some ram for new stuff for me. I can see why Facebook and Alien Blue would reload since there is always new content but why the browser sometimes reloads has got me scratching my head.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It happens if I do video editing in between video downloads but that's far in between. I'm a pretty light user in most respects. I do feel Apple should have added more RAM at least to harness more of the 64 bit goodness if nothing else.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a combination of things. My Galaxy S5 does the same thing.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. It is a combination of different factors such as:

- How apps are designed (some hold their place fine, others force a refresh. Some force a timed refresh regardless of RAM)
- How often you're using apps (if you keep loading tabs in Safari or scrolling your news feed in Facebook, that will use more RAM, leaving less for other apps)
- What background services you have running

It's all about individual usage. iOS apps were supposed to be designed to hold their place after being frozen by the OS. Apple were pretty aggressive about this back in the day but have kind of been letting it slide lately. Really though, an app designed for iPhone or Android knows that it could be suspended at any time, and should have some built in state saving. All the developer documentation talks about it, it's up to devs to follow the advice.

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I do not remember this happening with my iPhone 5 running iOS7. I didn't get a chance to upgrade it to iOS8 and its broke now BUT I did upgrade my iPad mini to iOS8 and notice the same thing going on. Its really frustrating with TapaTalk as well as other apps where I write something, and switch apps to do a little research, then go back to that app and what I wrote is gone and the app restarts/refreshes. Maybe its an iOS8 thing...

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Ram is a likely culprit. It would only take one app that uses a decent amount of ram to cause that. I do have a 4th generation iPod that does this precise same thing on webpages (the busier ones that have adds and stuff). I also had to remove Facebook as it crashes continually now as well. Since the iPod that I have is pretty weak on the RAM, I'd be willing to bet this is the problem.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Ram is a likely culprit. It would only take one app that uses a decent amount of ram to cause that. I do have a 4th generation iPod that does this precise same thing on webpages (the busier ones that have adds and stuff). I also had to remove Facebook as it crashes continually now as well. Since the iPod that I have is pretty weak on the RAM, I'd be willing to bet this is the problem.
I think the RAM is good enough and it is dependent on how well the app itself is optimized to utilize it. Especially with caching. It happens with the same apps for me. AlienBlue, Tapatalk, Tweetbot 3.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Luckily I don't often need to go back into apps. I usually close down all the apps I'm not using out of habit.

Keeping the RAM at more availability seems to help with that.

Pretty much the opposite of what Apple recommends doing, but hey you're a chick so you didn't understand what you were doing ... J/K! :rotfl:

thecaringkind

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Im a notorious app closer. If I'm not currently using it, its GONE. lol I agree that personal use has a lot to do with any lag especially if you have a few apps and a bunch of tabs open in your browser, however 1 G of RAM IS NOT ENOUGH. Apple is also notorious. For selling the masses on the idea that iOS 8 and their Soc are so 'optimized' there should never be a problem....ummmm Apple is good but they haven't re-invented the wheel. More RAM can only HELP, so why continue to squeeze more bucks from said masses by being stingy with RAM?

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't have that problem with my 6+. It only happens if I leave the apps for a long period of time, say an hour or two and then go back to it. And frankly, I usually like to manually close all the apps if I am not using them. I don't really need any placeholder. And I don't have any lagging issue.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This has become an increasingly annoying issue since day one. I notice that if I go back to an app after maybe about 15 minutes or so after using it, it relaunches and I lose my place in the app. Feels very pre-ios4. I recently (and reluctantly) set up my phone as new and the issue continues. And it's not like I'm running apps doing all this refreshing in the background. I actually turn background refresh off.

The reason why I wonder if it is the RAM is because I hardly ever saw this issue on my 5S. I haven't used my 6 Plus any differently day-to-day than my 5S which makes me think this could be a RAM issue associated with how iOS 8 caches.

Anyone else seeing the same?

It could be. It annoys me when that happens, which seems to be happening more on IOS8 than it did previously. I feel 1gb of ram is very limiting (even for IOS, hence why they went 2gb in the new iPad) and I think that is the bottleneck for devices and what really will limit the improvements for the OS overtime to accommodate older devices. I think the 6s&6s+ will have 2gb of ram and will make a huge difference in not only the apps not relaunching, but also other areas of the OS as well.

Sci_Fy

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I notice is safari tabs reloading, this even happens with no other apps open in the background. I do have a fair few tabs open in safari though which seems to cause the reloads. It is annoying though and something I wouldn't really expect to be occurring on a phone of this calibre (and cost!)

David Dutton1

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
One 1GB bite is no longer enough

I was a takes over 1 GB of RAM it does even have enough RAM to launch wants to

If you leave an iPhone six or 6+ idle for about 15 minutes it will use up every last bit of RAM. The same with a five or 5S running iOS eight. This was a very similar situation with iOS 7 on the five and 5S is well

If one application needs memory like an intense game, iOS eight will let you use 512 MB of RAM for that app but do not get a phone call while playing the game, do not switch out of that game and do something else, or your game will be terminated when you returning all progress lost. In this case this is actually a developers fault. When an app or game is running in the background, and iOS once the memory, it is sent a signal, and it is given the chance to hibernate and save it's game state, or memory to a file on the storage device. So when you go back to the game, it does restart but then it quickly resumes were left off.

But since I was eight actually needs more than 1 GB of RAM anytime you put an app in the background you risk it being terminated. I can reboot my phone, launch find friends ? which is an Apple app itself. Open a browser window or watch A movie or TV show and find friends and any other apps in the background have been terminated

Granted all apps should do what I mentioned above. And if they did we wouldn't be seeing this issue. However I am somewhat of a developer of apps under iOS eight myself vand many times Ios8 is failing to send that "danger you're about to be terminated signal", and it just terminates the app without giving the apt to save it's state

iOS 7 did not seem to have this problem. Yes it constantly terminated my apps but they always resume and where they left off

This is not happening under iOS eight.

The fact is Apple knows it darn right has needed to gigabytes of RAM and all their devices starting with the iPad air and iPhone 5 line. Why they haven't done it is beyond me as it barely would affect the price of the device. The memory used for storage is what's very very expensive. The memory used as ram is actually very very cheap

Unfortunately this must be fixed at the hardware level. They are giving the iPad air to an iPad Pro 2 GB of RAM. So this issue will be solved with those devices. They will always have one gigabytes free with nothing running and will allow apps to use 1.5 GB of RAM.

However Apple can implement a software solution that most android phones use: a swap/page file. Even a 256 MB one would boost the performance of iOS eight on the iPhone five and six lines of phones. All iOS eight services could be swapped out to memory until needed ? the same goes for apps. But for these devices of 512 MB swapfile is really needed. This would allow iOS eight to swap out 80 to 90% of it services if an app needed the memory ? allowing apps to use about 8000 to 900 MB of memory.scratch that more like 800 MB

However, Apple stubbornly refuses to add a page file to iOS eight citing. that it will reduce the life of the devices storage by the constant writing of data to the storage device. What they say is true but the amount of life lost from the storage device would not affect the device during its lifespan ? meaning the device will fail 100% of the time before the storage memory did

So there is no reason for Apple not to add a page file option. There is also no reason for Apple to let the user choose the size of the page file ? meaning if a user wanted a 1 GB or 2 GB page file so be it. That would make their phone very choppy and laggy to use, but the good open several dozen web browser tabs and not have them closed and have several dozen apps running in the background at once. However the section of the settings file app should warn people not to go over 512 MB for performance reasons. 512 MB should be the standard for all 1 GB Apple devices, and 256 MB for 512 MB devices, and 128MB for 256 MB devices

I know this for a fact because I use to jailbreak my phone's and iPads and add a swapfile equal to half of the memory. My device never got Lagney, and it did not crash. In fact ran much faster, more smoothly and I could have so many more apps open. However, Turning on the swapfile service that is built in the ios8 is a fatal mistake starting with iOS 6. If you unable to service, it will do nothing. If you enable the service with the proper parameters, it will create a swapfile, but in the phone with blue screen crash shortly after springboard loads. The phone with and reboot the process with and repeat, And you have an unusable device. It cannot be restored by conventional means. It can only be restored in DFU mode and you must restore a backup that does not have the swapfile enabled. Otherwise you will have to set the phone up from scratch. I believe the reason why this is happening is iOS has reached a point where Apple is having it manage its own memory so vigorously that the presence of a swapfile confuses iOS the point where it crashes. I don't think iOS can handle having things paged out. Hopefully someone comes up with the swapfile solution. That's why I stopped jailbreaking my devices. I jailbreak them for that one reason and one reason only. Again android uses it in most phones so I don't see what Apple can

I may stop upgrading my phone and leave it At iOS 8.1 until at least a tethered jailbreak is available, and see if the open source development community has come up with a swap/page file solution because the service that handles the swap file that is built in the iOS eight has not been updated since iOS5. .that also may be why using it crashes iOS eight the service is simply too old, and Apple doesn't update it because they don't use it

It doesn't Think like much,but even a 128 MB swapfile would greatly help the iPhone five and six lines of phones under iOS eight point X. It would at least allow enough Idle services to be swapped out and we would have far less termination of apps but like I said 512 MB is best. However for 2 GB devices a 1 GB swapfile is overkill ? eventually you had diminishing returns. So for 2 GB device, I would say 512 MB is enough. and then the user could raise that amount if eventually iOS future versions start eating up 1 to 1.5 GB of memory. Hopefully Apple has it gotten as stupid as I think they have and will make devices have 3 GB before this happens

Also most new android phones have had 2 GB of memory for the last one to do years

Yes 512 MB is plenty for developer. The PlayStation three only had 512 MB of memory, and the iPhone six and the iPad air are stronger than the PS3 and are fully capable of running PS3 quality games, but for some reason we aren't seeing them being built.

So technically, the devices do you have enough memory to run some very beautiful apps but the problem is you don't dare put that app into the background so basically Apple has destroyed the multitasking feature of iOS 7/eight with its lack of ram

I am pretty sure we will see 2 GB of RAM on next years iPhone which will probably be the 6S and the 6S plus. If they fail to do this they will start losing the mobile phone market as people will not put up with what's going on right now. I hate the android OS I cannot stand using it but the android OS does drive my Nvidia shield. That small device has 2 GB of RAM, And the OS needs about 700 MB of that and I can have about 20 apps in the background and have none of them terminated ? granted they can't all be games but I can still have a high memory used game in the background along with 6,7, or 8 apps. And none of them get terminated. And the Nvidia shield does not used to swapfile

This is up to the mobile iPhone community to fix. We need literally millions of people hammering at Apple to add the swapfile feature to iOS eight. Adding 2 GB of RAM to the next line of phones will be great but the average person only upgrades every two-three yrs. only people who make a fairly decent amount of money or are diehard Apple fan's upgrade their phones every year. So changing the hardware configuration of future phones does not help the existing iPhone 4, 5 and six lines. However I swap file will make those devices perform much better and actually allow higher versions of iOS to be installed on the lesser devices that they normally would not be able to be installed on

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I have realized that the constant reloading of my tabs in Safari is not just annoying, it is absolutely ridiculous for a top of the line phone in 2014! I know it has been a software vs hardware debate. It is definitely hardware. Why? Because the iPad Air 2 can at times have 20+ tabs open without reloading. My iPhone 6+ reloads with 1-2 tabs open on simple websites such as accuweather or cnn. It really destroys the browsing experience for me. At times, I might be a certain point through a website and simply switch to pick up a phone call, or send a text message, etc. open it back up.....reloaded to another point. This would also be the reason as to why my data usage has gone through the roof wouldn't it? Pages that haven't reloaded wouldn't use more data. Pages that keep reloading do use more data. There clearly is no excuse for the iphone 6+ having 1GB of RAM. This might bother me more than others because most of the time on my iPhone, I'm using Safari browsing news and sports sites and communities. Maybe if everything was optimized perfectly for the 1GB of RAM, it might work a tad bit better ? But obviously ios 8 is a far cry from being optimized perfectly, and don't think it ever will to end the tab reloading

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So after a month of creating this thread I thought I should update.

The app relaunches have really almost stopped. I attribute it mostly to certain apps getting their iOS 8 update, let alone a 6 Plus update. Apps like Tapatalk for example.

It was an annoying issue but it really has gotten a lot better. 8.1 probably has a lot to do with it too.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I've posted about it before.....Something just has felt "not right" with the 6+. I enjoy it, it's got a beautiful screen, but I can't get over that it truly runs slower than my iPhone 5 (iOS 7) and 5s (iOS 8). It feels as if it is an older, larger phone that was not made to work with the OS. Kind of like running an iPhone with an iOS released 3 year later). I also do not remember either of those phones ever reloading apps like the 6 plus does. It happens very often and is very annoying actually. It just does not feel like a refined phone. My gut tells me that IT IS the 1GB of ram that is the issue behind it all. 8.1 did not fix these issues whatsoever. I would say that if by one of the next 2 iOS updates these issues are not fixed, then it is not something software-related. Agree?

Why I may wait for the 6s next year to upgrade. I think it will have 2gb RAM. The app Battery Doctor can free up RAM without deleting background apps. I notice a difference in how my iP 5 runs after doing the "boost" thing. Most apps in the "app switcher" are not running. My guess is there's a few hogs like Facebook and others. IOS does manage RAM well, but 1 gb is just not enough for the new big iPhones.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2