Native Mail App

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
How does one do this simply? When I read an e-mail, there is no trash bin or anything I can press.

When I go to mail, I can swipe but there is no option to swipe and delete.

Help?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If it’s Gmail, you can have slide for both Archive and Trash.

How to use trash and archive options at the same time in iOS 8 Mail

1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap on Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Tap on any of your accounts that you want to use trash and archive options with under the Accounts section — if you're using iCloud mail, scroll to the bottom instead and tap on Mail under Advanced and skip to step 5.
4. Tap on Account at the top.
5. Tap on Advanced at the bottom.
6. Under Mailbox Behaviors, make sure you have options set for Deleted and Archived boxes to where you want them.
7. Under the Move Discard Messages Into section, choose Archive.
8. Tap Account at the top to return to the previous menu.
9. Tap Done at the top of the next screen to save any changes.
10. Tap the back button in the upper left corner to return to the previous menu.
11. Tap on Swipe Options under the Mail section.
12. Set Swipe Right to Archive.

While this seems a little funny, it does work. You'll notice when you choose Archive, a small note will appear underneath that reads
[Accounts that include Archive as a default action for swiping left will offer Trash for swiping right.]

This means that since we've set up archive as the default option in step 7, choosing archive for swipe right will actually allow it to become a trash option instead. This means swiping right offers trash functionality now and swiping left offers archive options. Voila! You can now use both in one quick swipe in one direction or the other!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That worked! Thanks! I am using G-Mail by the way. Now, when I am reading an e-mail, how can I delete that? I see no trashcan.

Unfortunately, you can only show one icon - either trash or archive.

In step 7 above, select DELETE MAILBOX instead of Archive. Nothing else in the instructions change.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, what I mean is when I am reading a message, on the bottom of the screen there are icons like reply, forward, file, etc. No trashcan one. I thought there should be one is all. Is it not possible with a gmail account but maybe a yahoo account. Using the iphone mail app is what I mean, not a special gmail or yahoo mail app. Thanks!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, what I mean is when I am reading a message, on the bottom of the screen there are icons like reply, forward, file, etc. No trashcan one. I thought there should be one is all. Is it not possible with a gmail account but maybe a yahoo account. Using the iphone mail app is what I mean, not a special gmail or yahoo mail app. Thanks!

That’s what I am talking about, too.

View attachment 69172

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, when I access my gmail account I don't see that, I see the archive "box" in it's place. For my outlook account, I do see it.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711