If the internals were the same, would you have chosen the "Plus" model vs. the regular sized iPhone?

Identically spec'ed phones...bigger or smaller size?

• Total voters

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If the internals were the same, would you have chosen the "Plus" model vs. the regular sized iPhone?

I know that many people chose the iPhone 6 Plus because of the better battery stats, camera features and other small functions that were enhanced on the Plus vs. regular iPhone 6...but what if Apple had released identically spec'ed devices in both sizes?

Now that many have had the Plus for over a month...if the iPhone 6 had the same performance, would you switch? Would you have chosen the Plus in the first place?

Also, going into the future, if Apple decides to level the playing field between two devices (if they stick to this formula of regular and "plus"), which direction will you go?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: If the internals were the same, would you have chosen the "Plus" model vs. the regular sized iPh

This is a tough one, Sean. I have been on the record saying that I didn’t want a larger phone. I was very happy with the 4" screen of the iPhone 5/5S. So, when the iPhone 6/6 Plus was announced, I struggled with the choice - even questioning whether I would upgrade at all. Eventually, I opted for the better specs of the iPhone 6 Plus, despite what I feared would be an "obscenely large screen" (I actually used those words describing the iPhone 6 Plus).

Had the iPhone 6 had the same internal specs (OIS, battery, etc), I am totally convinced that I would have opted for the iPhone 6. But now that I have had the iPhone 6 Plus for over a month, I could not see myself going back to the smaller screen. I recently picked up my wife's iPhone 5, and actually laughed out loud at how tiny it was.

I think that my mantra for future upgrades has become "never say never".

Zafla

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: If the internals were the same, would you have chosen the "Plus" model vs. the regular sized iPh

I think I still would've gone for the Plus, I'd been itching for a bigger screen and 4.7 isn't that big of a leap from the 4.0 screen on my iPhone 5.

itsgusmetropolo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site

I think I would go with the 6, but they would never fit a battery this big on it. So 6+ ftw

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I still would have picked the 6 Plus. I had a Note 3 prior to this and I wanted the phone closest in size to it. The 6 was never an option for me.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

It's the bigger screen, better battery and HD resolution for why I am going for the 6+.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

I only picked the 6+ for the screen size. I've stayed away from iPhones for a while because I wanted a larger screen and this was it. It's almost like a tablet to me.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

If the 6 had the same exact specs especially resolution I'd have gone for it instead.

I wanted the best quality screen which is the plus. That the plus has a bigger screen is something I live with and is in the negative column.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I would choose the Plus if the 6 had same internals.
If it just were a 6 this year with plus internals I wouldn't have been tempted to upgrade.
I had no idea how much I would like the size and screen of the Plus.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

If the 6 had the same exact specs especially resolution I'd have gone for it instead.

I wanted the best quality screen which is the plus. That the plus has a bigger screen is something I live with and is in the negative column.

I am exactly like you...after having this phone for a month, if the smaller device had the same specs all around, I would go with the smaller option almost unquestionably. I don't mind the bigger screen, but it's not a preference of mine really vs. the other benefits of the Plus.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I still would have taken the Plus, all specs identical. I b*tched about wanting a big screen for a couple of years and I got what I wanted.

Now if Apple had only released the iPhone 6 the way it stands now, I still would have upgraded.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure. The only thing I don't love about the Plus is the way it fits in my hand. But oh how I love how everything is bigger, internals aside. For example, I use an app to scan QR codes for feeding, weights, other activities for my snakes. I use the keyboard in conjunction with this, and it's just a lot easier. (It is, however, harder to line up the QR scan!) I think yes, I'd stick with the larger screen, even though it's not quite ergonomically comfortable for me.

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

I really like the 6 Plus' size. However, my lifestyle accommodates it very well. If I wore jeans all day long, I might have a different opinion.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Would of still went with the 6.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

Would have gone for the larger screen anyway. I am iOS through and through but I have always wanted a larger screen. And like many of you, there is no way I can go back to something smaller. I had to use my partners iPhone the other day since I left my 6+ in the rig and it was tough. I have adjusted to the larger screen and using the 5/5S was brutal.

B-17 Pilot

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Although I have not received my 6 Plus yet ( :-( ) I love the size of the Plus and am sure it is right for me.!

Mike

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
If the internals were the same, would you have chosen the "Plus" model vs. th...

I was never interested in a bigger phone/screen before the 6+ but like a lot of you, I couldn't go back to a smaller screen now!

So for me, the scenario Sean proposed would be like when I decided to get the MBA 13" vs MBA 11". I would have selected the same specs (512gb storage, 8gb ram, i7 processor) on the 11" if I had decided to get the smaller model (for portability's sake) and really the only difference besides size was the 12 vs 9 hr battery. So, I chose the 13" because of the bigger screen and of course the longer battery life.

So hopefully if they do offer the same "innards" for the next models, the battery would still be better for the plus model which would make sense since it would still be a bigger phone. :)

Sci_Fy

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

I think initially I would have gone for the 6 definitely. When I pre-ordered the 6 plus I said that had the 6 had the same battery life, camera and screen I would have gone for that. But after having lived with the plus for a number of weeks now I'm really glad I went for the bigger phone as its simply awesome. Best phone apple have made.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

It would be much more difficult to fit the same capacity battery in the smaller device. If it were a tad thicker (no bulging camera) perhaps...

If they both had 1920x1080 screens and OIS so aside from physical size and the larger battery it would be a no brainer!

The plus is borderline too large for convenient everyday carry. (EDC) I've had all the others as well (Note models, LG G2/G3 etc.)
G3 is the best in the size department but has too many dealbreaker faults for me to consider it to be a keeper. (Any android phone for me must have top dev support!) The G3's camera is superb until you try to take pictures through glass. And the video camera's audio sounds like a hydrophone in a bathtub!

Back to the iphone...the camera may be "only" 8MP but its balance of speed and image processing is very good. The recorded audio is good as well. Hopefully in the future improvements will build on its current superior characteristics and just get better!

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I like the larger screen. My 6+ is replacing my iPad 4 which is being used for watching movies only.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234