Does turning off auto brightness ..

Lesawags

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone
Does turning off auto brightness help or hinder battery performance? I've always really wondered, what do you think ??
Thanks for the advice.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone
Does turning off auto brightness help or hinder battery performance? I've always really wondered, what do you think ??
Thanks for the advice.
I honestly always leave mine on auto unless I'm using my phone in the dark then I'll adjust it

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I leave mine on auto. I guess you'd save battery if you can stand to have it on a lower setting all the time, but then what's the point of such a beautiful screen. :)

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was the opposite.

Right from apples website

Additional Information

Screen brightness affects battery life. Dim the screen to extend the time before you need to recharge iPhone, or use Auto-Brightness. Learn about other ways to extend battery life.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413862659.665603.jpg

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I leave mine on auto. I guess you'd save battery if you can stand to have it on a lower setting all the time, but then what's the point of such a beautiful screen. :)

Exactly. And with everything Apple, when you have auto brightness on, it just works and you don't need to think about it. I almost never change the brightness on my phone.

Lesawags

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well thanks for the info from Apple it was great. I guess I will turn it on then, lol.
I just can never decide what was more efficient . Appreciate everyone's thought. I'll start tomorrow, and use it a few days, try to keep my phone usage in my normal pattern, then turn it off for a few days, and see if there is any noticeable battery difference. thanks everyone.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well thanks for the info from Apple it was great. I guess I will turn it on then, lol.
I just can never decide what was more efficient . Appreciate everyone's thought. I'll start tomorrow, and use it a few days, try to keep my phone usage in my normal pattern, then turn it off for a few days, and see if there is any noticeable battery difference. thanks everyone.

Try setting the auto brightness as dim as you can and still see it comfortably in a darker room or area. I've found that works best.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
It suggests to keep auto brightness on for conserving battery which might sound counter intuitive. The problem is a lot of people bump up the brightness and never tweak it down when indoors. This causes a huge drop in battery performance. By standardizing the same, Apple can guarantee consistent performance.

If you tend to keep your brightness low both inside and out and don't mess with it you will see an increase in battery life.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone
Thanks for the advice.

I think it really depends on the level of brightness you are setting. If you set as manual with brightness level less than 50%, it should enhance your battery performance.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
If you would usually keep your phone's screen dim (30% brightness or less), then using Auto Brightness would probably burn more battery power than keeping it off.

If you would usually keep your phone's screen bright (60% brightness or higher), then using Auto Brightness would probably use less battery power than keeping it off.

The numbers used above are my own estimates.

Lesawags

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Try setting the auto brightness as dim as you can and still see it comfortably in a darker room or area. I've found that works best.

This is gonna sound like a really lame question.. I've used IPhones for years, but how do I set Auto brightness to dim?? All I have ever seen is the toggle switch to lighten or darken the screen and auto brightness on/off?? Thanks for your reply, ill try it, if I know how..,

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you're in and out a lot, turn it on. If you're inside most of the time, then it does not really do anything except be annoying when it dims or brightens needlessly.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
If you keep your phone dimmer than the auto brightness would keep the phone it will give you a better battery to keep it off.

In my environment it seems like the constant auto switching would tax the battery more than just leaving it set. It's also really annoying. I had it turned on in class on my Macbook Pro and it was always dimming in and out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234