LifeProof Case for 6+ available in November

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It seems that the LifeProof case might come very soon. On their web site, it said "available November 2014". The specs on the Nuud is very impressive. It is screenless so that you can touch the actual phone screen. That means I can keep the Zagg Glass for extra protection. And I love the fact that the back is clear and not covering up like many other vendors' cases. I will definitely wait for this case to check it out.

LifeProof_iPhone6_available_Nov2014.jpgNuud_specs.jpg

polo2883

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
From what I have read about the 5s nuud screens, you cannot have a screen protector on since it would ruin the water seal.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
From what I have read about the 5s nuud screens, you cannot have a screen protector on since it would ruin the water seal.

You can if you use the thinner tempered glass ones. The gasket will compress more. The seal may actually be better!

However, the design of the 6/6+ may change all that due to the beveled edge. Personally I'd use it as designed. The front glass is fine just don't put it in a pocket with other things!

The speaker on the iphone 6 is very strong (hold your finger over the opening while it's playing loud and you'll see what I mean.)
In order to seal it water tight a thin membrane is over top while it's in the case. The membrane becomes the effective diaphragm which works like the speaker. If this membrane is too tight (not enough compliance) then the sound output will be reduced. If it's too loose (highly compliant) it could buzz or make flatulence type noises with bass heavy music. Time will tell.

I had the nuud on my 5S and the back of the case would vibrate due to the pressure inside the case. The 6's speaker is quite a bit stronger than the 5. It should be interesting!

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
You can if you use the thinner tempered glass ones. The gasket will compress more. The seal may actually be better!

However, the design of the 6/6+ may change all that due to the beveled edge. Personally I'd use it as designed. The front glass is fine just don't put it in a pocket with other things!

The speaker on the iphone 6 is very strong (hold your finger over the opening while it's playing loud and you'll see what I mean.)
In order to seal it water tight a thin membrane is over top while it's in the case. The membrane becomes the effective diaphragm which works like the speaker. If this membrane is too tight (not enough compliance) then the sound output will be reduced. If it's too loose (highly compliant) it could buzz or make flatulence type noises with bass heavy music. Time will tell.

I had the nuud on my 5S and the back of the case would vibrate due to the pressure inside the case. The 6's speaker is quite a bit stronger than the 5. It should be interesting!

Incorrect. The case is designed and engineered to be fitted directly against the bare screen. People's phones have been ruined because they don't listen to instructions and then turn around and whine about their phone getting destroyed.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Incorrect. The case is designed and engineered to be fitted directly against the bare screen. People's phones have been ruined because they don't listen to instructions and then turn around and whine about their phone getting destroyed.

If the screen protector is too thick, the halves won't snap, easily. Forcing it could put excessive pressure on the phone and a drop or sudden shock could potentially damage the device. The thinnest tempered glass protectors do indeed work, it's more of a common sense thing. If assembly requires noticeably excessive force because of the extra thickness, it would be recommended to remove the screen protector as it's too thick and there isn't enough space for the gasket to compress. Once you bottom out or approach that your device could be at risk if dropped.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Xm_jdm and C6TX6 for the information. Frankly, because of my outdoor and sports activities, I worry more about water and dirt getting into the phone than cracked screen. I managed to have my phone without any screen protector for almost 3 weeks, and I just got the Zagg Glass this weekend.

I will keep the Apple leather case + Zagg Glass until the Nuud case comes out. I just hope they will offer a wide range of color scheme (like the Apple leather case). Black color is just too mundane and too boring in my humble opinion. :)

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
If the screen protector is too thick, the halves won't snap, easily. Forcing it could put excessive pressure on the phone and a drop or sudden shock could potentially damage the device. The thinnest tempered glass protectors do indeed work, it's more of a common sense thing. If assembly requires noticeably excessive force because of the extra thickness, it would be recommended to remove the screen protector as it's too thick and there isn't enough space for the gasket to compress. Once you bottom out or approach that your device could be at risk if dropped.

Lifeproof, the manufacturer has said numerous times on their wall that they do NOT suggest buyers apply a full screen protector no matter what the thickness and it voids warranty. Just because you say it "works" does not mean it negates what the manufacturer says. You fall under the category of people who take to forums and complain that the case failed and it's the manufacturers fault even though you went against the manufacturer instructions. There is a reason why they include their OWN.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Lifeproof, the manufacturer has said numerous times on their wall that they do NOT suggest buyers apply a full screen protector no matter what the thickness and it voids warranty. Just because you say it "works" does not mean it negates what the manufacturer says. You fall under the category of people who take to forums and complain that the case failed and it's the manufacturers fault even though you went against the manufacturer instructions. There is a reason why they include their OWN.

The purpose of the forums is to share experiences and help others out.
I'm sharing my experience.

I go far and beyond testing what Lifeproof says as well.

To ensure there was no egress of water, PERIOD a moisture indicator was placed inside the dummy phone housing. It's a simple hygroscopic element with a cobalt chloride indicator. When dry it's blue and when it gets moist it turns red. The color was recorded with a reference light source and photospectrometer. The case was placed in a chamber of distilled water and its pressure was increased to represent a depth of precisely one meter. This pressure was maintained for three hours. At the end of the test the moisture indicator colors were compared and it was determined that no leakage occurred whatsoever as it should have been.

That's about as good as one can get but of course as the product is used, especially if dropped and subjected to moderate shock on a daily basis, there is no guarantee that this water resistance quality would be maintained. Additionally, installing the case on the phone and removing it regularly could also degrade its ability to maintain proper water proof ability as well.

If I break something because I veer off the course of normality so be it, I pay for it and move on. If others ask I will warn them what not to do. As I said the thinnest tempered glass protector can be used. My honest opinion is I don't use them. Many will and cannot stand the plastic screen protectors used with cases like the Fre and Otterbox Defender as they have serious optical issues that basically negate the advantages of having a high DPI screen in the first place. Different strokes for different folks.

I've modded dozens of cases to my liking as I tend to be very picky about things. I've ruined my fair share of 'em as well in the process. Not once did I complain or try to RMA for being defective. It's fraud plain and simple and isn't nice.

Also, IMHO I don't care for the Nuud case as it colors the sound excessively and also attenuates the microphone sufficiently that callers can hear a degradation in clarity on their end. Bluetooth fixes that problem but I use the speakerphone a lot which is an issue.

I also was not happy about how the gasket appears between the glass of the original screen and the resin bezel. Like I said, I'm very picky about these things and rightly so as it's a $89 MSRP product!

To each is own. Some feel the Commuters are OK. I personally feel their fit and finish is very sub par. The Symmetry fixes that and sacrifices very little in the way of everyday protection.

In the end will I buy one of these cases? I'm sure I will. And I'm sure I will test it just like previous ones.

I'm not into the destructive videos (but certainly enjoy watching them!) but perhaps it would be interesting to see how much pressure it takes to get the seals to weep. I'm sure the failure mode would be more of a whimper than a bang, however.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I go far and beyond testing what Lifeproof says as well.

As I said the thinnest tempered glass protector can be used..

Sentence #1: BS.

Sentence #2: Stop telling people this nonsense just because you think it works. Until the manufacturer says otherwise... It's not recommended by LP. There IS A REASON THEY SAY NOT TO!

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait for this come out ! And agree with the above as well ... The n??d cases will not work properly with any screen protector unless you use the one provided or cut one to match the one provided (like I've done with a few zaggs in the past)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711