Why has a lot of the memory been used already on my new iPhone 6?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
re:

In Settings, go to General - Usage - Manage Storage to see what is using up how much storage. You can break it down specifically.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
re:

AlexJ92, if you are referring to the 11.8GB capacity you are starting with vs the 16GB you thought you were getting, then epicness4G is exactly right. The stock apps and system requirements take up almost 4GB before you even turn the phone on.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
re:

16GB is the new 8GB. I don't recommend 16GB to anyone anymore since apps take so much space. Whether you use the cloud for virtually everything else or not.

It's funny thinking back that the original iPhone came in a 4GB variant.

IrishFXDB

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
16GB is the raw size so once it's formatted you lose a bit of space right off the top. Next you have the OS itself which is what takes you to 11.8GB. Beyond that is any apps you have installed, photos, videos, etc, leaving you with what you see as available space.

My Galaxy S5 that I'm currently using is the same. 16GB raw, around 11.5GB actual space for me after the OS, and like 8GB left with all my apps and photos and whatnot. Just bringing this up as a reference so you know it isn't just an iOS thing. That being said, iOS apps are usually bigger than their Android counterparts, but they also tend to look better and often have more features.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

BlazingGold

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a iPhone 6 plus 16gb and why has a lot of the memory been used already?? View attachment 67485

Yeah, what others said.....the OS takes up a few gigs of space. I went with the 64GB because I was really afraid of the storage being used VERY quickly. I'm already down to 32 GB available (used 32 GB) and I have just a few songs, a few videos, a fairly good amount of apps, and a good amount of photos. It goes quickly! Just my recommendation.....if possible, return and repurchase the 64GB version. I figure we're already spending a ton of money on the iPhone's no matter which version, so upgrading for the extra $100 if at all possible is highly recommended

itsgusmetropolo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I had 64 on my 6 and now 16 on my 6 Plus as they are the same price both, if I don't get used to the size it's easier, and if I do, will get the 64 or 128. 16 is just not enough, and you'll find yourself struggling to install apps and even taking pictures.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
PSA: When referencing computers or computer like products (IE: iPhone), memory ≠ storage. The terminology you're seeking is "Why has a lot of the storage been used already on my new iPhone 6?"

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
PSA: When referencing computers or computer like products (IE: iPhone), memory ≠ storage. The terminology you're seeking is "Why has a lot of the storage been used already on my new iPhone 6?"

memory != storage

Lol agreed. I see this confused much often.

Memory = amount of RAM
Storage = capacity of computer's hard disk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yup, that's why I didn't get a 16GB iPhone this time for the first time ever
Decided to go 64GB on both my new devices, apps are getting bigger and the OS and stock apps take quite the space
I have 47GB available on my 6 Plus, must be the music and pics

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I know apps are getting bigger but i have never even came close to getting the limit. I have only bought 16GB phones except for the 4. idk why or how but i always try to keep it lite. my wife has a TON of apps and TONS of pics on her 5s 16 and its only 1/3 full

diaz2010

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I know apps are getting bigger but i have never even came close to getting the limit. I have only bought 16GB phones except for the 4. idk why or how but i always try to keep it lite. my wife has a TON of apps and TONS of pics on her 5s 16 and its only 1/3 full

You and your wife must be very frugal with your storage...lol A 16gb phone wouldn't last 3 days for me, I like to keep large portions of my iPhoto and iTunes libraries on my phone.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You and your wife must be very frugal with your storage...lol A 16gb phone wouldn't last 3 days for me, I like to keep large portions of my iPhoto and iTunes libraries on my phone.

I have 30,000 songs. No I do it keep them On my iPhone lol. She's isn't frugal. She doesn't have a clue how much stuff uses space but she always is talking pictures. Probably takes 10 to 15 a day, and mostly of our new baby! Lol!

I try to keep my pics on the cloud and videos i never take but I might change that with the slow mo mode.

diaz2010

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I have 30,000 songs. No I do it keep them On my iPhone lol. She's isn't frugal. She doesn't have a clue how much stuff uses space but she always is talking pictures. Probably takes 10 to 15 a day, and mostly of our new baby! Lol!

I try to keep my pics on the cloud and videos i never take but I might change that with the slow mo mode.

She has a miracle phone...lol I've never been able to comfortably stay below 16gb... Congrats on being able to upgrade your phone at the price of the 16gb version. Lol

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice