Apps look ugly on the 6 Plus. Why is Apple not encouraging developers to update their screen sizes?

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed when I got my 6 Plus, apps are looking ugly. I am using the 6 Plus in standard mode, not zoomed but all apps even those updated to iOS 8 are unfortunately pixelated with huge font, including the iMore Forums apps, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Only few developers have actually cared to update their apps to work perfectly on the 6 Plus. The only one I could recall now is "SR Cheats" which lists cheats for the Saints Row game. Only this got updated to look good with small font.

This makes me wonder, why is Apple not encouraging developers to update their screen sizes? It shouldn't be even an option. They should force the developers by not allowing Xcode to package any apps with resolution lower than that of the 6 Plus.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
re:

Here is a screenshot of the SR Cheats app and how good looking it is:

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1411977911.711809.jpg

Here is a screenshot of how bad looking Instagram is:

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1411977995.903385.jpg

It just feels like I am running iPhone apps on iPad!

Update: Twitter looks good after the latest update.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

Just as Google forces android phone manufacturers to update all phones to the latest android kitkat and Google forces their app developers to take advantage of new OS features? I know Apple updates their software more than Google on all phones but that doesn't mean they can force app developers to update screen resolutions at any time Apple deems it necessary. Despite what you may think of apple's control of their OS, they don't have THAT much control over app developers. Wait. Be patient.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

Just like when the 5 first came out its going to take some time for the developers to update their apps especially this time since the screen bump is so significant this time over the 4S to the 5.

martinlmnt

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

I don't know how it works for developers but surely they had good warning to prepare in advance for this?? It's a little disappointing that some of the bigger apps are taking so long to get anything out...

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
re:

I don't know how it works for developers but surely they had good warning to prepare in advance for this?? It's a little disappointing that some of the bigger apps are taking so long to get anything out...

I'm not sure any developers knew 100% what the screen sizes would be. Yes, there were leaks before the announcement but I wouldn't make adjustments based on that. They had iOS8 with developer accounts but I don't think that gave them anything to work with regarding screen size, etc. It takes time.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
re:

I'm not sure any developers knew 100% what the screen sizes would be. Yes, there were leaks before the announcement but I wouldn't make adjustments based on that. They had iOS8 with developer accounts but I don't think that gave them anything to work with regarding screen size, etc. It takes time.

Maybe Apple had to at least tell them the new resolutions not necessarily the screen size and everything would have been fine.

Now Apple has to take an action and force a new update to Xcode that won't accept any apps with resolution less than that of the 6 Plus and force their Developer Portal on AppStore not to accept any apps packages by an old Xcode.

If developers don't update their apps then this device will fail just like all other good devices as BlackBerry 10 devices that had no luck on their OS. It's either Apple forces the new resolution AND never accept new app updates unless they are optimized for the 6 Plus or this device is going out of business soon.

Unfortunately the 6 Plus is not a lucky device, first it had the bend gate which happened in just 10 faulty devices out of 10 million sold iPhone 6 devices in total with at least 25% of them are 6 Plus. It then had the antenna problem with iOS 8.0.1.

The more time passes the more I miss Steve Jobs, that new CEO I am sorry but is a retard. Apple Shareholders should do something about it and change him in the next annual meeting.

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
re:

Maybe Apple had to at least tell them the new resolutions not necessarily the screen size and everything would have been fine.

Now Apple has to take an action and force a new update to Xcode that won't accept any apps with resolution less than that of the 6 Plus and force their Developer Portal on AppStore not to accept any apps packages by an old Xcode.

If developers don't update their apps then this device will fail just like all other good devices as BlackBerry 10 devices that had no luck on their OS. It's either Apple forces the new resolution AND never accept new app updates unless they are optimized for the 6 Plus or this device is going out of business soon.

Unfortunately the 6 Plus is not a lucky device, first it had the bend gate which happened in just 10 faulty devices out of 10 million sold iPhone 6 devices in total with at least 25% of them are 6 Plus. It then had the antenna problem with iOS 8.0.1.

The more time passes the more I miss Steve Jobs, that new CEO I am sorry but is a retard. Apple Shareholders should do something about it and change him in the next annual meeting.

Seriously!?!? It's been a week. Apps will be updated and all will be well. It's a tad bit ridiculous to expect all apps to be updated immediately. Apple will NEVER force developers because that's what would cause the platform to fail. If you are that unhappy, Apple forcing you to use their products.

Sent from my Sensationally Silver 16 GB iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
re:

Seriously!?!? It's been a week. Apps will be updated and all will be well. It's a tad bit ridiculous to expect all apps to be updated immediately. Apple will NEVER force developers because that's what would cause the platform to fail. If you are that unhappy, Apple forcing you to use their products.

Sent from my Sensationally Silver 16 GB iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

I am not asking for all of them to get updated in just a week, I just wish I see two or three get updated or like one everyday or two but even that is not happening :/

Btw if developers had no idea about the new screen sizes or resolution how did Evernote get updated as soon as iOS 8 was released, like literally in seconds and it looks fantastic!

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1411988073.757594.jpg

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
re:

This is part of buying a new device at release time. All you can do is be patient or wait next time before upgrading.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Apps looking ugly on the 6 Plus

I think it's unfair to call out developers for "not caring." Developers have had the 6 Plus in their hands for 10 days just as we have. Ten days isn't nearly enough of a chance to let them optimize their apps.

Just be patient and give the devs some time. It's not as easy as we'd like to think.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
re:

I think it's unfair to call out developers for "not caring." Developers have had the 6 Plus in their hands for 10 days just as we have. Ten days isn't nearly enough of a chance to let them optimize their apps.

Just be patient and give the devs some time. It's not as easy as we'd like to think.

This.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Apps looking ugly on the 6 Plus

I would think devs could only test out iOS 8 updates on a 5S prior to the 6+ being released. Once they get the 6+ they can work on updates and that takes time.
One has to expect this as a early adopter.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Apps looking ugly on the 6 Plus

I would think devs could only test out iOS 8 updates on a 5S prior to the 6+ being released. Once they get the 6+ they can work on updates and that takes time.
One has to expect this as a early adopter.

This shouldn't always be a problem. Evernote was updated to fit 6 Plus before iOS 8 was made available to the public by an hour.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

This shouldn't always be a problem. Evernote was updated to fit 6 Plus before iOS 8 was made available to the public by an hour.

Because Evernote has plenty of money and resources to push out an update like that quickly. Not all developers have that luxury.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Because Evernote has plenty of money and resources to push out an update like that quickly. Not all developers have that luxury.

I am sure that isn't the reason because Instagram, and Facebook look really bad.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I am sure that isn't the reason because Instagram, and Facebook look really bad.

Facebook has a history of producing garbage apps. That includes Instagram, which hasn't even updated their icon for iOS 7.

In all honesty, you should contact the developers of the apps you would like to be updated and ask them for a timetable of when their apps will be updated.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I get apps updating to iOS 8 everyday. But in the App Store write ups, they all say optimized for iPhone 5. Same aspect ratio I suppose. Just larger. I don't know about resolution increases for developers.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

IrishFXDB

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Updating to iOS8 is only part of the issue. These are completely new screen sizes with resolutions vastly different to the 4" models of the past few years.

This is one of the reasons I haven't jumped on board with the 6 Plus yet. I want to see how things play out on the app side and also what kind of, as much as I hate this word, "phablet" features are added. I'm considering going Note 4 when it launches and waiting until the 6S Plus comes out next year.

I'm so torn!!!!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Stop whining about it and be patient. Updates will come. Fitting apps for the larger screens will involve more than just stretching the content to fill the screen - especially on the 6 Plus which will allow "iPad type" sidebars in landscape mode.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711