Apple Care Plus: is it worth it?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
For every Apple product that I've owned, I've never purchased Apple Care for it. However, with the Bendgate issues and the fact that it will cost a lot of money to replace a broken 6 or 6 Plus, I am rethinking about getting Apple Care when I get the 6 Plus.

The bottom line is this: for those of you who purchased your 6 Plus and bought Apple Care, has it been worth it so far?

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Apple Care: is it worth it?

I am in the same boat. I have never purchased Applecare+ on any of my previous Apple products until I got my iPhone 6 plus. I was concerned that with a bigger phone I might drop it. I figured why not, for $99 it's peace of mind.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
re:

It's worth betting $99 against myself that I will physically damage the phone at most twice in two years and need a replacement which would cost me $79 each time.

I'd rather that than to bet $8 a month against myself with carrier insurance only to pay a $199 deductible each time . Plus, whenever I'm done with the phone I can recoup a prorated amount of the Apple Care + that I paid. I just got $60 back from Apple for the 5S I just sold.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

I never get it, as I have historically been very good to my iPhones...but is it worth it? Sure, it seems like a decent deal given what it covers. I bought it for my wife who is notorious for having her screen break for whatever reason a few times between new devices, LOL!

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Definitely worth having, just in case PLUS it doubles the warranty so it's two years for any of us who do keep them that long or it's a MAJOR selling point that it's got a year warranty + one or both damage claims left ...

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
my only concern with apple care is that they don't cover theft...or at least they didn't last time i checked. so if someone steals my phone i'm out $849....eeek

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
my only concern with apple care is that they don't cover theft...or at least they didn't last time i checked. so if someone steals my phone i'm out $849....eeek

None of these warranties that are worth a crap cover theft...it just wouldn't make sense to them. There are so many fraudulent ways you could rip off a company if they covered theft or "lost" phones it would bankrupt them.

plantemichel

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Mmm I ain't sure I never bought it anyway if you brake your device it's worth it but sometime when you are careful like me always using case and you never leave your phone alone I think it's only a waste of money

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It’s insurance. It’s all about risk - your risk. Are you prone to breaking things? Can you afford to pay Apple's repair prices out of pocket?

I could afford to pay out of pocket, but I buy it on my phones. But that’s me, it’s my choice. It covers accidental damage. But as some have pointed out, it does not cover theft or loss.

Get the facts, weigh them out and make an informed decision for your situation.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Same here. A couple days ago, a family member had accidentally left her iPhone 5 in the school bus. Good thing the bus driver found it and called her. But if it was found by someone else, we can kiss the phone goodbye as nobody will return it. And I know first hand that the Find My iPhone app does not work if it is a theft. For $10 a month, I am going to buy the carrier's insurance which covers lost or theft. And I might even pay for Apple Care Plus for any potential break or bend.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm at a loss as to how Apple Care would have been worth it after a week, since you specifically limited this to iPhone 6 Plus purchases. Someone would have had to have dropped his/her phone (or had some other problem) and had it replaced already. That's a very small group of people. If you are looking for peace of mind, only you can determine what will give you peace of mind.

I'm also at a loss in understanding that someone would buy a phone that he thinks is prone to bending, then pay the same company that built the phone even more money in order to replace it just in case it bends.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I think its the best $99 you can spend. I have used other insurances and they often expect you to send in your phone, lots of paperwork, and there is a wait time, which for me isn't possible. I need my phone. my niece just broke her i6 when it slide out of her purse in the garage. She walked into apple plucked down $79 and walked out with a shiny new phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    709.7 KB · Views: 68

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have bought the Apple care in the past and I think it offers a great deal. My delema at the moment is since I am on Verizons Edge program I dont think it is worth it especially if I plan to trade the device in after a year for a new device. I will probably just stick with the Verizon insurance that way it carriers over to the next device although the 199 deductable is to high. Decisions Decisions...

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have bought the Apple care in the past and I think it offers a great deal. My delema at the moment is since I am on Verizons Edge program I dont think it is worth it especially if I plan to trade the device in after a year for a new device. I will probably just stick with the Verizon insurance that way it carriers over to the next device although the 199 deductable is to high. Decisions Decisions...

Obviously, it’s your choice. But passing up the coverage because you won’t have the device for a full 2 year period is not particularly significant. You can purchase AC+ for $99, and then, when you trade the phone in, request that Apple cancel the coverage and refund the unused premium amount, prorated. So if you buy it for $99 and sell it half way through the coverage period, you would get a refund of approximately $50.

Again, it doesn’t matter a bit to me what you do, but if you want the coverage, you can get it, and only pay for the part of the coverage term that you actually use.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73