There are a few cases of the iPhone 6 Plus bending, circulating online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art H

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Not me. I’ve had my 6 Plus for almost a week, and I use it and carry it exactly like I have always carried my cell phone - from my Motorola StarTac through various other dumb phones, to BlackBerry to iPhone. I carry them in my back pocket. I take it out of my pocket before I sit down. Always have. Always will. No changes necessary.

There are an extremely limited number of "reports" of this issue. The naysayers are busy beating the drums to make it sound like a widespread issue that every iPhone 6 Plus owner is experiencing. I call B.S.

I want to read more posts like this one. It suggests that even after not making any adjustments to his previous phone carrying habits, his iPhone 6 plus is no worse for wear. Though I wouldn't carry a cell phone this large in my back pocket I don't want to change the way I live to suit my phone. I want my phone to suit the way I live. Or at least not be a burden to how I fundamentally go about my every day life.

Bias reduX

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The few stories I have heard of this seem fishy. A guy in suit pants get home and its bent like that? Its not something that just magically happens, the video of someone intentionally doing it put it under a lot of pressure.

I would also like to note that the HTC M8 was warping/bending issues as well. Most phones probably wouldn't stand up to pressure from bending it either, its actually pretty cool that the Galaxy Note 3 does, but its not a deal breaker in anyway.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I guess the majority of us and apple too had too much faith in humanity and should have slapped a warning on a box like 'Murica needs.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Not me. I?ve had my 6 Plus for almost a week, and I use it and carry it exactly like I have always carried my cell phone - from my Motorola StarTac through various other dumb phones, to BlackBerry to iPhone. I carry them in my back pocket. I take it out of my pocket before I sit down. Always have. Always will. No changes necessary.

There are an extremely limited number of "reports" of this issue. The naysayers are busy beating the drums to make it sound like a widespread issue that every iPhone 6 Plus owner is experiencing. I call B.S.
Nobody said every owner is experiencing it.

People are saying that it can and has happened. They've explained how they used it while it happened. I provided links for one such case.

Others are acting like the problem doesn't exist at all.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
And source: I have spent 11 years in physics and am in my last year for a PhD. I have spent many many years teaching people about torque and forces. Apparently people don't take physics seriously enough if we have to keep explaining this and hoping it sticks :/ At least people will be cancelling their order and I can get mine sooner

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess the majority of us and apple too had too much faith in humanity and should have slapped a warning on a box like 'Murica needs.
I'm not even sure what that means.

"people are using it wrong"? Sounds like what was said with the antenna issues on the 4. That went over well.....

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
There is a problem. People will need to adjust the way they use their phone around the device instead of the device fitting their use case. Some will be more than ok with that, and others won't.

No, you didn’t say every owner was experiencing it. But you DID say that "[p]eople will need to adjust the way they use their phone...". I am here to tell you that they don’t. I am still calling B.S.

And I will make one slight correction to my previous statement in the interest of "full disclosure": though I do carry the iPhone 6 Plus exactly as I have other cell phones, I do occasionally carry it in the pocket of my cargo shorts. But it’s always in one of those pockets unless I am sitting down, or in bed for the night.

cbobb123

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
And source: I have spent 11 years in physics and am in my last year for a PhD. I have spent many many years teaching people about torque and forces. Apparently people don't take physics seriously enough if we have to keep explaining this and hoping it sticks :/ At least people will be cancelling their order and I can get mine sooner

This makes no sense....

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
No, you didn?t say every owner was experiencing it. But you DID say that "[p]eople will need to adjust the way they use their phone...". I am here to tell you that they don?t. I am still calling B.S.

And I will make one slight correction to my previous statement in the interest of "full disclosure": though I do carry the iPhone 6 Plus exactly as I have other cell phones, I do occasionally carry it in the pocket of my cargo shorts. But it?s always in one of those pockets unless I am sitting down, or in bed for the night.
I should have put "some" at the beginning of that sentence. My fault.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You missed the entire point that I was making. But let's go with your train of thought. A very small minority of people ever have a problem with their phone, whatever phone that may be. I guess that would mean those problems don't exist either or aren't a concern either right?

I'm guessing you didn't click the links I posted. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.
I'm not at all suggesting that it's not a problem. Of course someone bending their iPhone is a problem.

It's the few cases that I've seen escalate online that make me say it's not this widespread problem that others are making it out to be.

Some dipcrap has something happen to him, he posts it on the internet, to which others supposedly have the same problem. I don't know how many 6 Pluses were sold out of the 10 million that Apple claimed. But you'd think if it was that widespread a problem it would surface even more. So far it hasn't.

I clicked your links. You're giving me evidence of case by case scenario of people on the internet who are making these claims. That quantifies as few.

I think it was either Phil or Jerry over at AC that made that post the other day about how many times the HTC One M8 slipped out of their hand because it didn't have a case. My father owns the same phone and doesn't use a case either. It doesn't slip out of his hand as much as it may other's hands. It doesn't mean that just because it's a problem that it should cause all this commotion. "HTC knew about this and still shipped it!!"

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not at all suggesting that it's not a problem. Of course someone bending their iPhone is a problem.

It's the few cases that I've seen escalate online that make me say it's not this widespread problem that others are making it out to be.

Some dipcrap has something happen to him, he posts it on the internet, to which others supposedly have the same problem. I don't know how many 6 Pluses were sold out of the 10 million that Apple claimed. But you'd think if it was that widespread a problem it would surface even more. So far it hasn't.

I clicked your links. You're giving me evidence of case by case scenario of people on the internet who are making these claims. That quantifies as few.

I think it was either Phil or Jerry over at AC that made that post the other day about how many times the HTC One M8 slipped out of their hand because it didn't have a case. My father owns the same phone and doesn't use a case either. It doesn't slip out of his hand as much as it may other's hands. It doesn't mean that just because it's a problem that it should cause all this commotion. "HTC knew about this and still shipped it!!"
It was Kevin.

Yes, the M8 is aluminum and is naturally more slippery than phones with more texture. I have one. It has yet to hit the ground.

HTC could have (and maybe should have) put more texture on it. Or, you know, give users 6 months of free screen replacement no questions asked (which they did). So they addressed the design decision before it became a problem.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm still laughing. But seriously even a bent iPhone plus is better than the competition. Because...iOS, AppleCare.

I'm getting ready for my Orlando trip next week. I plan on driving with the plus in my pocket. You see I'm an ***** that likes to be as uncomfortable as possible. In my other pocket I thought I'd stuff a giant Hershey bar in it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

People are saying that it can and has happened. They've explained how they used it while it happened. I provided links for one such case.

Others are acting like the problem doesn't exist at all.

People have also been hit by meteorites...it can and has happened, they've explained what they were doing when it happened, and provided evidence of such.

Today when I went outside, I was not worried, in any facet, about being hit by a meteorite.

tattooed4515

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if this guy tried to replace this phone and what apple said about it? I tried reading through the post on macrumors but 16 pages is a lot. I know if it was me I would be headed right to apple going look look fix fix.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm super nervous about my incoming 6 Plus but I'm trying to determine whether my nervousness outpaces my excitement at actually having the phone. I have until mid-October to decide (that's when Verizon said my 64 GB Space Gray 6 Plus will be here).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox