There are a few cases of the iPhone 6 Plus bending, circulating online

Status
Not open for further replies.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Can you change the law of gravity so I can float everywhere? If not, that must be Apple's fault as well.

But nobody is asking them to defy the laws of physics. The engineers at HTC (or anywhere for that matter) also have to deal with that. But what do they do? Workarounds...simply making the device thicker would solve the issue.
I don't blame the engineers at Apple. I'm sure they are fantastic at their job. It's the design team that wanted the device that thin...

Posted via the iMore App for Android

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Overall, the general population is indeed devoid of those things... Why I say "Common sense is an oxymoron".

Anything will bend/break.... Because: physics. This is getting so much attention because denizens of other products who are also haters of Apple are so desperate to find something to criticize... So this is one thing they've found, so they seize upon it. and tech blogs use it for link-bait and trolling for clicks.

I didnt think of the click-bait this would cause. Good point.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Should Apple expect that someone is going to cram the 6+ in their pants pocket?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, Apple should expect it. I don't recommend that people carry phones in their pockets at all, but I know that people do. I violate my own principle on this from time-to-time. Humans are going to do what is convenient for them and many smartphone users today carry their phones in their pockets on a daily basis. Surely, Apple has noticed this behavior from the millions of customers that visit their stores.

The bridge designers have to take real world usage into consideration when designing a bridge. Will there be a driver that accidentally runs into a support beam on the bridge? Will there be salt water that can have a negative impact on the bridge support system? Does the bridge need to be able to withstand frequent earthquakes? The common and not-so-common scenarios have to be planned for in order to properly build a bridge that will meet the public's safety expectations. While bending the iPhone 6 Plus probably won't have life-or-death consequences, the same type of planning should have happened when designing this phone, as well.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm still confused why people think any person that puts this device in their pocket is going to end up with a bent iPhone...you're making a mountain out of a molehill folks.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm still confused why people think any person that puts this device in their pocket is going to end up with a bent iPhone...you're making a mountain out of a molehill folks.

Maybe the handbag industry created the story in order to sell more Men's Purses to those that wear super skinny 510 Levi's

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
some german sites were testing
they bent it with their hands...

i think its possible to bent the iphone 6+, because its aluminium and thats not that hard.

cbobb123

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
It's expected that the bridge will be driven on by whatever number and weight of vehicles has been planned for by its engineers. Should Apple expect that someone is going to cram the 6+ in their pants pocket? That's why they make phones in different sizes. People who do that are the reason we need to put warning labels on things where simple common sense should prevent it from happening.

Well it's a phone and it should be designed to fit in any kind of pocket without bending.

MilliwaysPub

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I am a brand new iPhone user and was part of the Android community as recently as last Friday. Now that I am on the other side it amazes me how much hatred there is towards the iPhone, Apple and its users from the Android community. Its fascinating to see it from both sides. But then I that hatred seems to be directed at the Android community as well at times.

Anyway, my real point is this. If they do find that the iPhone 6 is prone to bending in non extreme cases are they pretty good at replacing those devices that have been affected?

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well it's a phone and it should be designed to fit in any kind of pocket without bending.

No it shouldn't. If you have small pockets buy a small phone. The argument that Apple should anticipate and design a phone that can withstand anything a user does to it is ridiculous. If that was the case Otterbox, etc. would be out of business. Apple shouldn't have to design for lack of common sense. It's arguments like this that make me more afraid for the general population every day. It's bad enough we need warnings on lemon scented cleansers so that people won't think it's lemon juice and put it on food.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
That just simply does not make sense. I would have to see proof and observe it happening. Remember, just because it?s on the internet, doesn't mean that it?s true.

I can "report" anything I want - bit it doesn?t make it so.

I carried mine all day in my front pocket and its not broken. If you break a phone in your front pocket then you are (for lack of a better term)a *****.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
If they said it was in a back pocket then I wouldn't be concerned. Because I never keep my phone there and I think it is dumb to do so. However, my phone pretty much lives in my front pocket. And I'm a heavy set guy and I don't wear tight jeans, ever. My jeans are all very loose fitting. But this whole thing concerns me a lot.

I think it was a mistake for me to order the 6 Plus. Not only did I come in after they were already sold out (so mine won't get to me until late October), but now I'm more than likely going to return it for an iPhone 6 as soon as it arrives. The extra battery life and optical image stabilization aren't worth it to me if keeping my phone where I always keep it will ensure that it ends up bent.

My iPhone 5 has lived in my front pocket for two years and is no worse for the wear.

It's sad, too. Because the 6 Plus' size wasn't a worry to me. I've tested a 5.5 inch phone (an LG G Pro - with a thick case) and it fit into my jeans pocket just fine.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Let me sum all of this up through a sarcastic logical post.

-------

My dog chewed up my iPhone 6 plus !! Help !!

I left my phone right on the side table (a completely normal behavior that everyone does with phones ).

You all should cancel your pre orders! This is a design flaw! I mean if we all can't do normal things like leaving our phones on the table... Then what's next ? Apple should of caught this during QA. Almost everyone has pets. !

DoyouFanBoyBro

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
If they said it was in a back pocket then I wouldn't be concerned. Because I never keep my phone there and I think it is dumb to do so. However, my phone pretty much lives in my front pocket. And I'm a heavy set guy and I don't wear tight jeans, ever. My jeans are all very loose fitting. But this whole thing concerns me a lot.

I think it was a mistake for me to order the 6 Plus. Not only did I come in after they were already sold out (so mine won't get to me until late October), but now I'm more than likely going to return it for an iPhone 6 as soon as it arrives. The extra battery life and optical image stabilization aren't worth it to me if keeping my phone where I always keep it will ensure that it ends up bent.

My iPhone 5 has lived in my front pocket for two years and is no worse for the wear.

It's sad, too. Because the 6 Plus' size wasn't a worry to me. I've tested a 5.5 inch phone (an LG G Pro - with a thick case) and it fit into my jeans pocket just fine.

Let me get this straight. You're going to cancel your pre order because of around 4 pictures posted online ?

MorganFreeman.jpg

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Let me get this straight. You're going to cancel your pre order because of around 4 pictures posted online ?

MorganFreeman.jpg

No. Canceling my preorder would be way too much work, because with said preorder, my wife and I are porting our numbers from AT&T to Verizon. I'm going to wait until the phone is delivered and then take it to the store and exchange it for a 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.