There are a few cases of the iPhone 6 Plus bending, circulating online

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It's a nonissue. Besides if for some bizarre reason this happens to you then swap it out. You have a year of AppleCare.

Timm4y77

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
why else would apple make the phones thinner if not for hipster skinny jeans? this isn't an attack, its an honest question.

It can't be a serious question. Stereotyping all Apple users as hipsters is ridiculous. I can't even take it seriously. If you honestly think Apple designed their phone for hipsters with tight jeans, you need to step away from the computer and visit the real world.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
why else would apple make the phones thinner if not for hipster skinny jeans? this isn't an attack, its an honest question.

Oh, I don't know...easier to hold? Easier to use one-handed? Marketing leverage.

What exactly makes you think that the iphone is only a hipster device? Because that is exactly what you are suggesting with that comment. Would it be the commercials that competitors have been shoving in your face since the Galaxy S3? Do you think my buddies who are outdoorsmen, tradesmen, union workers, blue color to the core individuals are hipsters? They all have iphones so they must be? Or did Apple simply not intend on selling to them when designing the new phone for hipsters? How about white collar workers like myself who don't fit the description of a hipster at all. Was Apple not counting on any of our purchases either when designing their new skinny hipster phone?

Last edited:

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So if I understand, an iPhone 6+, IF left in a back pocket and sat on for an extended period of time, bends. Not if merely left in pocket while walking, jogging, standing, etc. But IF in pocket while seated. NO WAY!
Thats the rub. apparently its happening in peoples FRONT pockets, not back pockets. now this could be an overblown issue, I don't know, but if it turns out the phone can be warped by front pockets of normal jeans (not hipster jeans), then its a valid concern. normal people keep their phones in their front pockets, they don't carry them around all day in their hands. So apple should ensure that the phone can survive what pretty much the entire cell phone using world does with their phones. Carrying them around in their front pockets. now they may have and if so this issue will quickly die. but if it turns out to be legit, apple will have alot of angry customers on their hands. and if customers are told not to do what they've always done with phones. (leaving them in their front pockets) they're going to be upset and rightly so. now I'm still going to wait for my 6 plus to arrive because this could be a non issue thats overblown. but if it gets warped using it like I've used every other phone I've owned, I'll be angry and return it. if enough others do likewise that won't be good news for apple. LOL

Last edited:

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
It can't be a serious question. Stereotyping all Apple users as hipsters is ridiculous. I can't even take it seriously. If you honestly think Apple designed their phone for hipsters with tight jeans, you need to step away from the computer and visit the real world.
I'm an apple user and am not a hipster. so I wasn't calling all apple users hipsters. but apple may have skinny jeans in mind when making thinner phones. now I've never had any issues holding apples older thicker devices, so I'm not sure why thats an issue either.

E_LIZ_aBeth

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I think this will be a 1 in a million thing. Or maybe someone is just crying wolf when there really is no wolf. If you take care of your device bending will most likely not be an issue for you. Not to mention put a case on it. Anything can be destroyed if put under the right pressure and test.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I don't know...easier to hold? Easier to use one-handed? Marketing leverage.

What exactly makes you think that the iphone is only a hipster device?
I don't. I use one and I'm not a hipster.
Because that is exactly what you are suggesting with that comment.
no, I'm just guessing at reasons apple wants a thinner phone and figured hipster skinny jeans may be that reason. it doesn't mean all apple users wear them. I don't.
Would it be the commercials that competitors have been shoving in your face since the Galaxy S3? Do you think my buddies who are outdoorsmen, tradesmen, union workers, blue color to the core individuals are hipsters?
nope.
They all have iphones so they must be? Or did Apple simply not intend on selling to them when designing the new phone for hipsters?
having one set of customers in mind (hipsters) doesn't mean apple can't have other customers in mind too (non hipsters) .
How about white collar workers like myself who don't fit the description of a hipster at all. Was Apple not counting on any of our purchases either when designing their new skinny hipster phone? Get going with that nonsense.
if apple makes smaller screens so that even people with small hands can use them that doesn't mean apple didn't want people with big hands to use them too. you've misunderstood my point. I hope its clearer now.

ifox1987

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a really hard time believing these phones are bending in peoples front pockets, especially in the direction that they are bending. Personally, I could never have this issue as even when sitting my 6 Plus is still pretty loose in my pocket and isn't under any stress, I do realize others wear tighter pants but even then I dont see how its possible.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't. I use one and I'm not a hipster. no, I'm just guessing at reasons apple wants a thinner phone and figured hipster skinny jeans may be that reason. it doesn't mean all apple users wear them. I don't. nope. having one set of customers in mind (hipsters) doesn't mean apple can't have other customers in mind too (non hipsters) . if apple makes smaller screens so that even people with small hands can use them that doesn't mean apple didn't want people with big hands to use them too. you've misunderstood my point. I hope its clearer now.

That is fair. When I read "why else would someone....." I read that to mean "the only reason someone". So if I misunderstood, I apologize.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Anything will bend or break with the right amount of pressure. But I don't see enough evidence yet to think that it's a problem. I see the same 2 pics over and over again on the net of bent 6plus's.
The video of the guy bending it is over the top to me.
I don't know if that amount of pressure can be exerted in a pocket in one or two sittings.
If this happens to one of the long time members here one iMore I would be more prone to believe it.
Or if someone I know personally has a bent 6plus. I can't go buy the wedding drive story and the guy bending it under extreme pressure solely.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Thats the rub. apparently its happening in peoples FRONT pockets, not back pockets. now this could be an overblown issue, I don't know, but if it turns out the phone can be warped by front pockets of normal jeans (not hipster jeans), then its a valid concern. normal people keep their phones in their front pockets, they don't carry them around all day in their hands. So apple should ensure that the phone can survive what pretty much the entire cell phone using world does with their phones. Carrying them around in their front pockets. now they may have and if so this issue will quickly die. but if it turns out to be legit, apple will have alot of angry customers on their hands. and if customers are told not to do what they've always done with phones. (leaving them in their front pockets) they're going to be upset and rightly so. now I'm still going to wait for my 6 plus to arrive because this could be a non issue thats overblown. but if it gets warped using it like I've used every other phone I've owned, I'll be angry and return it. if enough others do likewise that won't be good news for apple. LOL

I had gone back and edited prior to this post because you are correct, the front pocket is also an issue BUT, it is noted that the issue is when people are sitting for prolonged periods of time. If this was happening merely because people were slipping the phone in their pocket and walking from point A to B....then yeah it would be a valid concern. But that is not being claimed. If you sit down at a restaurant table, set it on the table. If you sit at a desk in a classroom, set it on your desk. Leave it in your purse, backpack, etc. I just don't get the hype.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]DO NOT make the debate personal. Discuss the topic, NOT the other members posting in the thread. Reminder, use of the word troll is trolling. [/WARN]

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
This whole bending in the pocket thing was also a distracting panic attack when the 5 and 5S were released too. I guess we can blame the thinness and design of the 5/5S too? Also, now long did that little ditty last? Not. Long. At. All. Welcome to the world of attention whores and fame seekers.

iPhone 5s Bending In People's Pockets | Cult of Mac
I take comfort in that. my 5S never bent so if it didn't, maybe the 6 plus won't either.

TGR1

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
These are bigger, thinner metal phones. As soon as I saw the leaks my first thought was "ok, gotta start changing my habit of sitting down with phone in pocket". It's really common sense. And whether back or front pocket, that's where the body flexes and one has curves.

I have been trying already to change habits with my 5s. I have gotten away with it so far due to the glories of spandex! But when I wear heavy, stiff fabrics I make super sure.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I had gone back and edited prior to this post because you are correct, the front pocket is also an issue BUT, it is noted that the issue is when people are sitting for prolonged periods of time. If this was happening merely because people were slipping the phone in their pocket and walking from point A to B....then yeah it would be a valid concern. But that is not being claimed. If you sit down at a restaurant table, set it on the table. If you sit at a desk in a classroom, set it on your desk. Leave it in your purse, backpack, etc. I just don't get the hype.

Yep, the macrumors guy who made all the fuss said he had the Plus in his pocket for 14 hours. 8 hours driving. 6 at a wedding. I mean c'mon, when I'm in the car, my phone is charging (usually in a mount but on the console for now). At a wedding? It'd be out periodically for pics if I didn't just leave it in car altogether. But honestly, I couldn't imagine 8 hours in the car with the Plus in my front pocket.

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

That's the thing...I don't want to pull out my phone at every class at school. I may not have room on my desk, or I might be doing something that poses a risk to my phone. I can't necessarily put it in my bag either, as that's often hard to access or out of the way. And I want to use my phone in these situations! That's why I've got it! I can understand having my iPad mini sitting out on a desk, for its occasional use. But the whole advantage of a phone to me is that it's in my pocket, ready for when I need it! I shouldn't be limited, or have to change my habits, all because of a potentially flawed design.

I really hope that I can be persuaded about this being a non-issue. I want the Plus a LOT. But I'm a user who always keeps their phone in their pocket, and I wear tightish pants sometimes. I can already imagine that there might be enough force there to bend this phone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Every time I start to feel comfortable with the intelligence level of my fellow man, something like this pops up. How, HOW, is this even an issue?

So if I understand, an iPhone 6+, IF left in a pocket for an extended period of time, bends. Not if merely left in pocket while walking, jogging, standing, etc. But IF in pocket while seated for an extended period of time. No way!

News flash. An iphone 6 or 6+ screen will shatter while sitting on a dining room table.......IF a hammer is dropped on it!
News flash. An iphone 6 or 6+ will overheat while in a car.......IF left in direct sunlight in the middle of July in Phoenix!
News flash. An iphone 6 or 6+ will suffer water damage while in your hand......IF you jump in a lake while holding it!

The fact that people find any need at all to sit on their device just blows my mind. I don't sit on my laptop. I don't sit on my glasses. I don't sit on my television's remote control. So why sit on your phone? If the front pocket is the issue, is there a feasible reason to not remove a phone this large prior to sitting??

I swear some of you could win the damn mega millions only to immediately ***** about the taxes.

Everything this man said X 2. There are some really really.....not so smart people in this world.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

There is no actual proof that it was in the front pocket, just what he said. The other video of the un-box therapy guy that so happened to have a slightly bent phone also in the exact day they had been reported is also suspect. The amount of pressure he had to use to bend his iPhone is also stupid.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
No, just put design on apple part. They could have avoided this by reinforcing the frame. But when all they care spot is being super thin, this is what happens.

Honestly get out of here with this garbage.

You know what ? I've lost faith in humanity of people really think this is apples fault. PS. Do yourselves favors and keep yourselves intellectually honest and look up the HTC ONE bending. Yes. It ALSO bends. There's several threads online about it

Physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.