How is the iPhone 6+ use in regard to fitness?

mphillips828

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to purchase the new iPhone 6 or 6+ for the sole reason that I am very active (running, hiking, and lots of various types of training). I am not sure which device would work better for someone who is active. I am really interested in the 6+ because of the longer battery life and nicer screen (I also love media, photos, videos, music, etc.) but I am concerned that when I go on my runs and circuit training that the large size of the device will be difficult to either carry, or stay in my pocket. For that reason the 6 seems suitable for me...but the 6+ just seems so tempting!

Anyone have this concern? Anyone with either device care to chime in and help me make a decision? Or anyone who has or had a Note 3 or similar phablet sized phone able to let me know if that size of device is functional during workouts?

As a side note, I am a male, 6 feet 2 inches tall...so I am not a small guy.

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am in the EXACT same situation. As a matter of fact we are the same height. Looking forward to some input.

GolfnCPA

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I had my first run with the 6+ this morning. No issue at all, but I use a running pouch to hold my phone. Same one I used for the 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Starchest

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. I run several times a week and go to the gym most days. I'm guessing obviously the 6 would be much more comfortable but I really want to go with the 6 plus. I'd say an armband would solve all problems, they'll both look the same. Just keep in mind the 6 plus can look pretty wierd covering your whole upper arm.

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking armband on this go around. I work out at the gym and do jogs as well, and I'm thinking this may be the first phone I go that route on.

sirbenjaminj

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
That would have to be a really big armband! I went with this 6+ (couldn't resist) and I've thought about holding onto my 5 just to use for music when I'm running and working out. Or even my old shuffle. However, looking into the Apple Watch (which I won't be able to resist either) it will be able to hold music and connect to wireless headphones without having the iPhone present. And while it won't be able to track exactly where you are running without the iPhone, it will be able to track how far and how fast. So that's my plan, for now stick to using the 5 on an armband or in my pocket (or my shuffle), and then use the watch. The plus is just going to be too big for me to exercise with I think.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm running and doing some workouts every day since the first day of my 6+. Because there were no 6+ sport armband I ordered a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 sport armband a week before the 6/6+ release and the armband works exactly like with the iPhone 4s.

I personally don't mention a big difference. I still wait for a good 6+ sport armband. I think that's the best solution for gym, workouts, running etc.

I will post and update if I found something, already ordered a good one in Amazon

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I only lift free weights and I buy gym shorts with pockets. I currently put my 5s in my front left pocket and it works great. Has anyone worked out with weights with the 6 plus in the front pocket? I know this is kind of specific but it is a big part of what I do. I just wonder if the extra size will result in the phone getting hit by the weights a bit more often and will it potentially fall out of pockets?

mphillips828

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So from the sounds of all the comments, the iPhone 6+ will work just fine for fitness purposes. The size will come into play for sure while running as it is much larger to hold while running (an arm band may be a quick fix). I am still very unsure about getting the phone as I held it and it is quite large. It fits nicely in my pocket and I can actually type one handed and use the device relatively well with one hand (although even on smaller devices I almost never ONLY use one hand...only sometimes) so this will not be an issue.

Anyways, I am still torn so any further information or anyone who has either one of these devices care to chime in some more. The 4.7 iPhone 6 is still a large screen and much larger than my current device and previous devices (currently using BB Z10) so a 4.7 would feel bigger for me for sure.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm running and doing some workouts every day since the first day of my 6+.
I personally don't mention a big difference between iPhone 4s and iPhone 6+.
I will post and update if I found something, already ordered a good one in Amazon

I found a really awesome armband/case. It's really incredible. It's a silicone case which fits the iPhone 6+ perfectly and hold it tight in it. On the back of the case there are two cut outs where you can attach a band to fix it on your arm.

It's the SUPCASE iPhone 6 Plus Armband,
Easy Fitting Sport Running Armband with Premium Flexible Case Combo for iPhone 6 Plus Cover
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411992236.708011.jpg
(Picture from Amazon page)

I did a lot of crazy workouts with all kind of jumps, burpees, runs and group workouts with my phone attached on my arm and it works perfectly. It's also comfortable and you can put it on/off in seconds.
There is no screen protector/plastic on the screen, so you can easily use the display without any constraints. You can also use Touch ID and both cameras without any problems.

I really love this case/armband and can highly recommend it to everyone who wants to do workouts, runs etc. It's also a nice case which looks good, is comfortable and protects your phone (also the screen).

Here some pictures of it with and without my phone, (because marketing pictures always look good )

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411992334.754269.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411992355.786571.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411992378.556584.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411992398.126050.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411992435.610664.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411992465.052065.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411992490.971878.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411992517.708913.jpg

Amazon Link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MO...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2350807

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just ran the Akron marathon this weekend and got a small waist pouch to carry the phone it and it worked perfect.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I just ran the Akron marathon this weekend and got a small waist pouch to carry the phone it and it worked perfect.

That's also a solution, but if you need to use your phone like tapping through exercises, changing music tracks etc. Than you need quick access to your phone :)

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Good point. I really don't mess with mine much. I'm always worried about the moisture from the sweat or rain getting in my phone so I always just start my running app and music and let it sit in a plastic bag while I run.

gsmth00

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

What pouch did you end up getting? I'm looking at going that route over an armband this time around, but as I've never used any of the pouches before, I'm not sure which brands are best.

Also curious as to whether or not you have any issues with sweat/moisture seeping into the pouch after a while.

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the Amphipod Airflow Lite (AirFlow Lite™ - Breathable, comfortable, no-bounce waist belt for carrying gear, music and essentials on-the-go.) with the Plus in a Spigen Air Cusion case (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2389824) for running. I generally log 6 miles a day and 10-14 on Sundays. The phone with case barely fits in the Amphipod, but it does fit along with my ID and keys. I need to wear it with the pouch in the back and after a while I forget I'm wearing it.

I find running with the Plus less convenient than the regular 6 – I went back and forth between the two before settling on the Plus – but it is manageable. I limit myself to removing it from the pouch only when I need to change a playlist (maybe once), take a photo (rarely) or review the home screen if I get a call (in case it's my son's school).

Every pouch I've used – even the SPIbelt water-resistent – lets in some moisture on long runs. The Amphipod is a bit more padded than the SPIbelt, so I find moisture less of an issue. But I also make sure to switch from my Apple leather case to the Spigen shell, as the leather was getting damaged from even the small amount of moisture the belts let in.

Hope that's helpful.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I wear race ready shorts/tights and my iPhone 6 fits in the big back middle mesh pocket perfectly. On days that I don't wear those, I use my spibelt. I haven't had an issue with too much moisture getting through. My leather case still looks fine and no damage to my phone. I've also started using Bluetooth earbuds so I don't have to mess with cords while running and working out.

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I found a really awesome armband/case. It's really incredible. It's a silicone case which fits the iPhone 6+ perfectly and hold it tight in it. On the back of the case there are two cut outs where you can attach a band to fix it on your arm.

It's the SUPCASE iPhone 6 Plus Armband,
Easy Fitting Sport Running Armband with Premium Flexible Case Combo for iPhone 6 Plus Cover
View attachment 66728
(Picture from Amazon page)

I did a lot of crazy workouts with all kind of jumps, burpees, runs and group workouts with my phone attached on my arm and it works perfectly. It's also comfortable and you can put it on/off in seconds.
There is no screen protector/plastic on the screen, so you can easily use the display without any constraints. You can also use Touch ID and both cameras without any problems.

I really love this case/armband and can highly recommend it to everyone who wants to do workouts, runs etc. It's also a nice case which looks good, is comfortable and protects your phone (also the screen).

Here some pictures of it with and without my phone, (because marketing pictures always look good )

View attachment 66729
View attachment 66731
View attachment 66732
View attachment 66733
View attachment 66735
View attachment 66736
View attachment 66737
View attachment 66738

Amazon Link:
iPhone 6 Plus Armband , SUPCASE **SPORT RUNNING** Apple iPhone 6 Plus Armband 5.5 inch Easy Fitting Sport Running Armband with Premium Flexible Case Combo for iPhone 6 Plus Cover (Black), Not Fit iPhone 6 4.7 inch:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

thank you!! ill buy it right now! even tho I do crossfit 5 days a week, I run every day too and it was a pain in the .... to carry that big phone in the pocket.

i think it will work perfectly

Bluehair62

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6 plus... Received it on Monday this week... I've had the 6 since Set 19th... I run and go to the gym multiple times a week... Both are fine. In the pocket at the gym, NO problem... IN a pouch on a run, NO problem. If I had any thing to be concerned about it would apply to both phones and thats being very careful not to set a heavy dumbbell on the phone when I rest them on my thighs as I am sitting down on a bench for a set. Just need to be aware...

As far as having both... I LOVE the plus for everything I need a phone for... LOVE IT!!!

BH

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
When I go to the gym, I never put my phone (my 6+ as well as any of my previous phones ) in the pocket of my gym shorts. Instead, I just either put it on the machine or next to the machine along with my towel. It's been working very well for me. :)

GLTruesdale

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I use the SPI case. However, I wish there were a case that had a front cover of the screen also. The other day I was taking my SPI and it fell and hit the ground. Luckily it landed on the back padded rubber. Otherwise I might have scratched the phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal