Are big phones acceptable now?

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
*I will try to put this in a way to avoid being flamed, because I am not trying to start any sort of platform war.*

Do you guys think now that Apple has officially put out a phone that is at the end of the scale for being up there with the largest phones available (Note 3, Lumia 1520) that these big phones will now be more accepted and less taboo? Based on the preorder stats and the fact the 6+ is being reported as sold out all over the place in a few months we are obviously going to be seeing these things everywhere. I think the general public still finds these very large phones a bit odd or funny. I personally see a shift to the large phones to being more accepted now that Apple has done it.
What do you guys think?

-I would like to also say, I don't give a crap what phone you use or how big it is as long as it works for you. I am just curious about how the general social acceptance of these devices will play out now.

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
It's been accepted when Samsung released the first Note. That's the problem people are afraid to try New things.

I love both but I hate that Apple won't give fans options.

tapatalk LG pro D852

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
They're definitely going to be embraced more now that Apple got into the market. Oh yeah.

Samsung created the market for big phones here which Apple gladly dipped into. It seems to still be a small market at this moment in time. I wouldn't say that many iPhone users were craving the "phablet" but if Apple could make the right type of phablet then the market for it would expand even more.

I think there will be a day here in this country where people are holding 6.5" phones to their heads speaking on the phone.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
They're definitely going to be embraced more now that Apple got into the market. Oh yeah.

Samsung created the market for big phones here which Apple gladly dipped into. It seems to still be a small market at this moment in time. I wouldn't say that many iPhone users were craving the "phablet" but if Apple could make the right type of phablet then the market for it would expand even more.

I think there will be a day here in this country where people are holding 6.5" phones to their heads speaking on the phone.

You bring up a good point about the "right type of phablet". If this catches on the features for Apples phablet devices can only get better. My opinion is that the 6+ right now doesn't have enough large screen features to persuade me into carrying around a device that large. But with time that could change. It is almost as if this is the beta test to see how well it sells and how well the first timers take to it. Though this is a very polished device there isn't much 'beta' about it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You bring up a good point about the "right type of phablet". If this catches on the features for Apples phablet devices can only get better. My opinion is that the 6+ right now doesn't have enough large screen features to persuade me into carrying around a device that large. But with time that could change. It is almost as if this is the beta test to see how well it sells and how well the first timers take to it. Though this is a very polished device there isn't much 'beta' about it.

I think it'll become like tablets. There are tablets and then there are iPads. So many tablets just run phone apps that aren't optimized for its screen and functions they can perform. Look at how great 3rd party ipad optimized apps are as compared to some for Android. Apple doesn't simply just have the tablet to run apps to show a larger display. Everything from the split screen to where even action buttons are located on apps take advantage of the screen. I think we will be seeing the same with the 6 Plus and the future generations of it.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I think it'll become like tablets. There are tablets and then there are iPads. So many tablets just run phone apps that aren't optimized for its screen and functions they can perform. Look at how great 3rd party ipad optimized apps are as compared to some for Android. Apple doesn't simply just have the tablet to run apps to show a larger display. Everything from the split screen to where even action buttons are located on apps take advantage of the screen. I think we will be seeing the same with the 6 Plus and the future generations of it.

I have a feeling you are right, which is great. It is exciting times and good to see Apple stepping out of their 3.5-4in. box that they have been in all these years.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling you are right, which is great. It is exciting times and good to see Apple stepping out of their 3.5-4in. box that they have been in all these years.

Agreed even though I find myself still content with my 4" 5S I ordered the 6+ (cause I always need the latest and greatest ) and I'm glad that Apple went this direction finally.

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
i currently have an LG G3 (5.5 in screen) and i'll be buying the 6+. i love the big screen. i don't care if it "looks big". it is big. and amazing.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think people have just progressed that way over time...I still know several people who can't stand the large phones (like the Note or 6+), and refuse to even consider them, regardless of the feature set they offer vs. smaller options. My wife saw my 6+ and laughed and immediately said she wanted the regular iPhone 6 when she was ready to buy a new device (she still loves her 5S and isn't ready to move on from it yet).

Personally, I never really saw the big deal with the iPad, and only got one because my wife had an iPad Mini and replaced it with a retina model (so I inherited it). I ended up selling it right before buying my 6+ because now, I have a device that serves both purposes, and had no need for it anymore. I was never a fan of the size of the Note, but I can safely admit it was simply because it was an Android device and I hadn't really ever given it a true usage test to see if it would work for me because I don't care for the Android OS. Had it run iOS, I probably would have tried it, at least, years ago.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, of course it will now be more acceptable. I don't think it was ever unacceptable. Just the wrong platform for many people. If the iPhone were the only smartphone with a screen size over 5.", acceptance would have been the same. There would still have been those who just did not like the iPhone.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I knew a guy in 2010 who used his Galaxy Tab 7" to make and receive calls. I think the market has always been there but the manufacturers weren't making them yet.

Me? I'm ready for an eyePhone a la Futurama. Heh.

Sent from my iPhone 5 running iOS 8.0 while impatiently waiting for my 6+ using Tapatalk

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
iOS limited what Apple could do. I think Apple made the decision to go big after the 4S. It's taken this long because it was no trivial matter given the App Store and iOS constraints.

Imagine the iPhone 6 or 6 plus came after the 4s and iOS 5. Those apps would look horrible. iPhone 5 was a necessary transition to change aspect ratio and provide a suitable transition in apps both from a user and dev perspective.

Samsung never had these constraints. Android scaled. iOS doesn't. Even now, iOS apps need specific resolutions.

Of course it can be argued that iOS apps are superior because of this limitation. They're designed for the specific resolution and sized screens we get in iPhone hardware.

So iOS apps that have better design and performance vs android apps that scale but lack that device specific design performance.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
With the Samsung note, it's all Samsung bloat ware apps that are device specific. Not android. It's an important distinction.

It's the same as buying a dell pc and being excited over the bloat ware that dell packs on it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
With the Samsung note, it's all Samsung bloat ware apps that are device specific. Not android. It's an important distinction.

It's the same as buying a dell pc and being excited over the bloat ware that dell packs on it.
And carrier bloat if you don't buy unlocked.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I still think people look silly holding a phablet to their ear. :huh:

I FEEL like a total tool holding this thing to my ear...thankfully due to riding my bike constantly with my iPhone, I've become used to just wearing my LG headset all the time, so hopefully I won't have to actually hold it up to my head like some kind of weird Apple sombrero anytime soon.

tattooed4515

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I always made fun of the note and the...oh what is it. Something mega? Has like a 6.1" screen? And every other phablet. But I must say I love this phone and the size of this phone. Wouldn't have it any other way. It's not as bad as I thought holding it up to my ear either. Maybe that's just me. Doesn't bother me much because I don't really use the phone that much.

cruiz1022

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
I think it's becoming more acceptable now. The same people that would laugh at the size of my Note 2 and 3 are now ordering the 6 plus. I think the 4.7 will be considered the small size for a smartphone and anything 5+ will be the norm. I absolutely love having a big screen for texting/netflix/multitasking apps. I have never had a problem typing on the Note phones and I'm sure I'll have no problem typing on the iPhone 6 plus when I finally order it.

And I do think that screen 'reachability' and 'one handed use' will be a gimmick for most, my small hands have no problems reaching any part of the screen. It's all about learning how to hold the phone

Posted via the iMore App for Android

cruiz1022

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
I always made fun of the note and the...oh what is it. Something mega? Has like a 6.1" screen? And every other phablet. But I must say I love this phone and the size of this phone. Wouldn't have it any other way. It's not as bad as I thought holding it up to my ear either. Maybe that's just me. Doesn't bother me much because I don't really use the phone that much.

The Samsung Mega size is absurd though. That is way too big lol

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711