What was Apple's reasoning for having a practically all white box w/an outline of the iphone 6 Plus?

MrLogan

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that it saves them money; don't have to print a different picture on each box. Probably saves time packaging too since you don't have to check that the correct color model is in the right box.

akshaypn

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
The Original boxes had U2 s promotional poster on it.. But after receiving the backlash they were forced to drop them and to go with plain white.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

bshark5150

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I read somewhere that the 'printless' packaging has to do with their Eco-friendly strategy. I guess not having print on the box saves the environment!

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Saves them money on printing and for the next few years as they reuse the design they no longer have to make new art for boxes if all they did was change something small like earpiece hole or size of the home button.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I personally think the most plausible reason is that they didn't have to match the color on the box to the phone. If you believe the rumors about supply chain troubles for the plus, they may have taken this route just to allow quick packaging of what they could produce to get them in the hands of the consumers.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
I agree with the others here. It seems odd and not like Apple. With that said, I like the clean look. Maybe it's a fresh start (I know it's a long shot) but, the box really didn't bother me.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Actually I really like the design of the box. Super modern and minimalistically artistic. I don't think it was a copout at all.
It was like: see this **** right here. You know what's in this box.

ಠ益ಠ

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
What was Apple's reasoning for having a practically all white box w/an outlin...

This is truly a first world problem. :)

At first it was "no big deal - I?m more concerned about what?s inside the box". Then, after I had my phone doing it?s restore, I moved the box to its new home with it?s ancestors (boxes from the original iPhone and all iterations of the iPhone through the 5S) and something just wasn?t right. It was like one of those kids puzzles where you have to pick the one item that is different from the rest.

C'mon, Apple. We expected more. (I know, it?s just a box. Right!)

View attachment 65300View attachment 65301

Hey I have a off topic question. Well I was looking at the picture. I was asking myself. How does apple number their iphone. Because the iphone 2g is the first one. Then the 3G and the 3GS is the second. Because they are the same phone. And now the iphone 4 and etc. it confusing.

bigdad84

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey I have a off topic question. Well I was looking at the picture. I was asking myself. How does apple number there iphone. Because the iphone 2g is the first one. Then the 3G and the 3GS is the second. Because they are the same phone. And now the iphone 4 and etc. it confusing. But the new iphone 6. Would that really be the iphone 5.

Iphone 2G - iphone 1
iPhone 3G - iphone 2
iPhone 3GS - iPhone 3
iPhone 4 - iPhone 4
iPhone 4S - iphone 5
iPhone 5 - iphone 6
iPhone 5s - iphone 7
iPhone 6 - iphone 8

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: What was Apple's reasoning for having a practically all white box w/an outlin...

Hey I have a off topic question. Well I was looking at the picture. I was asking myself. How does apple number there iphone. Because the iphone 2g is the first one. Then the 3G and the 3GS is the second. Because they are the same phone. And now the iphone 4 and etc. it confusing. But the new iphone 6. Would that really be the iphone 5.

The first one was simply iPhone (not "THE iPhone", just iPhone). It got the 2G nickname because it was only 2G cellular.

Next was the iPhone 3G, which used 3G cellular, followed by the iPhone 3GS, for some unknown reason. And the naming convention was born.

The iPhone 4 introduced the squared off form factor, and it was followed by the iPhone 4S. At this point, Apple established the pattern of changing up the physical design on the "tick" (the numerical change - iPhone 4, 5, 6). The "tock" updates were the S models (4S, 5S) which used the previous design, but with added features (for example, Siri and TouchID were introduced on the S models).

iPhone 5 came after the 4S and brought the 4" screen. It was followed by the 5C (rounded edge form factor reminiscent of the 3G/3GS in multiple colors) and the 5S (same form factor that was introduced with the iPhone 5).

iPhone 6 brought a larger, more rounded design on two screen sizes (4.7" and 5.5"). The smaller of the two is the iPhone 6 and the larger is known as the iPhone 6 Plus.

Not sure where this will lead, as far as future naming conventions, but if the pattern holds, next fall will bring the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox