IPhone 6 Plus: reviews and impressions

Iphonejackson

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: How are you finding the 6 plus?

1st Impression: "Wow, this is big.."

2nd Impression: "Yikes, the screen is clear"

After about 10 minutes I went back to my 5s to restore to factory settings and found it to be horribly small. I'm absolutely loving the size and quality of the 6 Plus!

Haha, the same thing happened to me when I went to restore my 5s. That screen seems so tiny now.
I've been very happy with my purchase.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Haha I was really shocked when I got my old iPhone 4s in my hand to check some settings for a friend

I really couldn't believe I could live with such a small screen after using my 6+ for about a week

It's like with most stuff in live, once you tried something great/awesome, you never want to go back again. Once I used the 6+ I would never get a device smaller than that again

Also when I once tried the BOSE noise canceling headphones I was so amazed by the crystal clear sound and the cancellation of almost anything around me I had to buy it and wouldn't use any other headphone again

Sci_Fy

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I didn't expect to be so torn as to whether I love it or not. Love the screen size and resolution, love the longer battery life and enjoy the experience of browsing or watching movies on it. But I'm really torn as to whether the size is going to make it useable day to day. I guess only time will tell but I'm concerned that if I'm ever holding it one handed my kid is going to knock it out of my hands really easily. Been swinging to 60/40 each way as to whether to keep it or return for a 6. I'm loathe to give up the superior screen or battery life though. If the 6 had a 1080p screen it would be an easier choice...

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess only time will tell but I'm concerned that if I'm ever holding it one handed my kid is going to knock it out of my hands really easily.

Exactly, I'm also more worried about other to do things which will affect me and the phone than my own behavior.

Usually I don't use cases, but when I visit my family with lots of children, then I put my phone in a sleeve/bumper, just in case Was actually useful

That's why I also will get a case for the 6+ and just use it when I meet "special" audience or special events like going to Disneyland

PS: do you really think switching from 6+ to 6 will change anything? @Sci_Fy

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Since getting the phone this past Thursday its taking some getting use to. If had big phones before but it's been awhile though. I love the screen. I love typing on on it better then the 4/5/5s's that I've had. Glad to be back using Touch ID. Haven't used the camera much but it's sooo much better then the 4 I was using. Speaker is good. Still getting use to the repositioned power button. All I have now but a bigger iPhone is what I've been looking forward and now I have it so I'm happy!

Ps I see myself having a few cases for this phone. A tough rugged one I have now and then probably something less bulky.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I didn't expect to be so torn as to whether I love it or not. Love the screen size and resolution, love the longer battery life and enjoy the experience of browsing or watching movies on it. But I'm really torn as to whether the size is going to make it useable day to day. I guess only time will tell but I'm concerned that if I'm ever holding it one handed my kid is going to knock it out of my hands really easily. Been swinging to 60/40 each way as to whether to keep it or return for a 6. I'm loathe to give up the superior screen or battery life though. If the 6 had a 1080p screen it would be an easier choice...

Being a 6 owner myself.... That's going to be stuff. I'm switching to the 6+ because of everything you just said. You at least have 14 days to change your mind.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Don't give up the 6+!!! 😱

Here's a simple solution: Get a lanyard for your phone! I drop things pretty easily (and tend to leave things behind) so I always use a neck lanyard for my phones. I don't have my 6+ yet but even with the larger size I am considering using a neck lanyard.

Here is my post about lanyards and carrying options: http://forums.imore.com/showpost.php?p=2350653

If you're not into the neck lanyard idea (heck, I'm not even sure about a neck lanyard for the 6+ yet!) why not consider using a wrist lanyard? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005K...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2350686

This way, if your kid knocks it out of your hand, it won't go crashing to the ground (or worse)! ;)

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty set on get this phone sometime now. But one hand usage will be an issue, I can already tell. As far as dropping it, that is. Obviously it'll be harder to reach the screen If I'm walking along and can only use one hand, there's a lot of phone, and weight, hanging over my hand. Plus it's slippery. I don't think I'd take this outside without a case! I just wish I could get the Plus features in the 6's form factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty set on get this phone sometime now. But one hand usage will be an issue, I can already tell. As far as dropping it, that is. Obviously it'll be harder to reach the screen If I'm walking along and can only use one hand, there's a lot of phone, and weight, hanging over my hand. Plus it's slippery. I don't think I'd take this outside without a case! I just wish I could get the Plus features in the 6's form factor.

Not to mention : iPhone 6 plus phones are more serceptible to bendgate.

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Not to mention : iPhone 6 plus phones are more serceptible to bendgate.

True. But I'll make sure I have a case, and am extra careful. Worst case scenario, I get it replaced under Australian consumer law or something. That's if Apple refuses to replace it.

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't worry -- The 6+ actually did better than the 6 and other phones in Consumer Reports' force tests which also proved that ALL phones will "bend" and break under substantial pressure: http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=301131

The fact that the 6+ did better is SO irrelevant. I can guarantee, the iPhone 6+ will bend in your pocket much more easily than the 6. These tests aren't an accurate representation of what kind of pressure would be on the phones.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely HATE the power button on the side. Half the time when I push it, the other end of my hand ends up pushing one of the volume buttons.
Also, when I use the volume up button to snap a picture, sometimes the other end of my hand pushes the power button.

Landscape mode on the home screen is driving me crazy. I thought I would like it, but I don't constantly moving back and forth to portrait. If I am in an app using landscape and I push the home button, I am used to seeing it automatically go back to portrait. But instead it is in landscape. It would be nice if there was a way to lock just the home screen orientation and not the rest, to make it work like all other iphone models.

Changing orientation while watching some videos (I think it was in facebook), pauses the video and/or restarts it.

Email app doesn't show the status bar on the top in landscape. Not sure if this is an ios8 thing or what, but it is annoying.

Personally, I think the phone is too big. I have big hands, but I cannot use it safely in one hand. I can't simultaneously maintain a good grip while using my thumb on the screen.

Battery life seems like all other iphones that I have had when they were brand new. We will see in a few months from now after several charges where it stands. Although, I am already thinking of getting the 6 and selling the 6+ because of mainly the size. It just doesn't have that "convenient" feel to it anymore like my 5S did.

Now for the positive. Screen is great. Nice for viewing videos, pictures, and reading larger text.

I would like to see some sort of a slim case that has something like a handle on the back, or a little tab that snaps open and closed. This would allow for one-handed use while maintaining a safe grip. Meaning, right now, I can wrap my hand around the back and have a good grip, but then I cant use my thumb on the screen. If I could grip a handle on the back that would not require me to wrap my fingers all the way around, that might make me stay with the 6+ instead of the 6.
For example, imagine a case with a belt clip on the back. You could use the belt clip to help grip the phone. But something with a lower profile would be good.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
IPhone 6 Plus :reviews and first impressions

The fact that the 6+ did better is SO irrelevant. I can guarantee, the iPhone 6+ will bend in your pocket much more easily than the 6. These tests aren't an accurate representation of what kind of pressure would be on the phones.

Yes, of course it would be easier to "bend" a 6+ than a 6 or any smaller phone in one's pocket because...well, it's BIGGER. ;)

But the *relevant* point I was actually making is that nothing is unbreakable and ANYTHING will *bend* or break if put under enough force/pressure/energy/trauma. The fact that the 6+ fared better in the CR tests is just a plus. (No pun intended!) 😜

(A car wouldn't be considered faulty if it got damaged or dented because the owner tried parking it in a space that's too small/tight.)

I'm just sayin' -- put a good case on it, remember to take it out of the pocket before sitting down and just take care of it. :)

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I must say I'm really enjoying this screen!! Still haven't really used the camera but I know will miles ahead of my 4 I was using. Still getting use to it being in my front pocket compared to the smaller 4. Only thing is I'm just looking forward to apps being more optimized for the screen.

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't own this iPhone yet....but I had the chance to play with it in store yesterday. This this is beautiful! The screen so stunning. Sure, it's got a lower PPI than my phone, but I literally wouldn't be able to tell, even side by side. The image just looks like it stuck to the surface like a sticker. And it maintains its quality from every angle. This phone is also so light for its weight (IMO). I feel that it's actually a little too thin to hold comfortably. There just wasn't much to hold onto! But it still feels great in the hand, and it will be easier to hold with a case. Size wise, it's a little too big to use one handed. Which isn't a surprise, obviously. Even my 4.7 phone is bordering on difficult. I think it'd survive the slight inconvenience. I did fit it in my jeans pocket in the store, and it did fit. I can feel that I'll have to be careful with it, but it would be fine for walking around town etc.

The software was mostly fluid, and I'm sure that will get cleaned up. It was at least as smooth at my iPad mini retina. The camera was great, even just trying it out under the store's artificial lights. Slow motion was also cool

Anyway, I think I'm sold. Do I need a new phone? No...and it worries me that I'm planning to buy a new one so soon Do I want this A LOT? Yep. Enough that I think I'll get it. It's a beauty.

Sci_Fy

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
So after a week of deliberation and after holding a 6 I've decided to keep the plus. Whilst it may not be perfect in some situations the positives outweigh the negatives. Screen and battery life are just awesome. Also the 6 just isn't enough of an upgrade from the 5S to warrant a ?600 spend. The plus feels like a new phone to me whereas the 6 wouldn't after a couple of weeks. After a week the plus doesnt actually feel all that big anymore either.

Grabbed the Apple leather case in black which is really nice although charging ?39 for it is a joke. guess the jokes on me as I bought it!

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
IPhone 6 Plus :reviews and first impressions

I just received my 6+ last night. Apparently, Verizon Wireless has a lot of customers getting the new iPhone. It took a very long time to talk to a CS rep to activate the phone. But it worth it. The phone is great. It is larger than my Samsung Galaxy S phone, but not too large. I don't have problem navigating and typing on this phone. Also I wear skinny chinos and I don't have problem putting the phone in my hip pocket. I have the red Apple leather case on it right now. Will shop for a waterproof case later. I will post more later with more usage.

njshoregurlz

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the six I looked at the plus it's tempting lol hmmmm I have a few days BUT how long will the wait be lol
Maybe January I'll give my husband THIS and grab the 6+ lolol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal