New Phone-Create As New

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I hope someone can answer this. It seems that I have always had the fear of when I got a new phone, always restoring from a back-up instead of setting up as new. I did not want to lose everything. Now I realize, it's not that bad. Correct me if I am wrong:
It's not bad at all, in my opinion, but it can be time-consuming.

Most importantly contacts, I should be able to send them from an old, deactivated iPhone 5 that I am replacing as an i-Message, correct?
Are your contacts associated with an email service like iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, etcetera? If so, all you have to do is configure your new device with the email account and then enable the sync button next to Contacts. They will then automatically sync to your device.
Even if I don't have cellular service, it will still work as wi-fi on a deactivated phone, correct?
You will still be able to sync and download apps, etcetera as long as you have some sort of internet access.
That was always my reason not to set up as new, because I did not want to type them in however sending the contact via text is easy.
I've never sent an entire contact list via iMessage so I can't say if it'll work or not, but I have sent individual contacts and know that they work. Still, and as stated above, if the contacts are associated with an email account, just configure the account on the device.

Pictures, well I have a few but can get them off of the phone, so no issue.
Yeah, you can either enable photostream or upload them to a cloud storage site like Dropbox and then download them onto the new device using the associated service's app.

Settings. Well, I will have to tweak them all. I don't care, fun way to learn your phone and ios8, correct?
I agree. You'll be surprised at some of the settings you come across. Personally, I go through each and every one of them several times a month.

Apps. yes, I will have to re-download them and set each up with passwords and all that jazz. So what, then I will have a sping cleaning and see which ones I really want to reinstall.
'Nuf said

So, what am I missing? Is there something critical I could be losing or may miss here? I figure setting up as new gets all the cobwebs that have carried over since my 1st i-Phone a few years back.

Input?
Are you the type that saves iMessages? If so, you need to make a screenshot of them and offload them somewhere. Also, if you have custom backgrounds, make sure you offload them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I asked the same question a few days back. Split response. Personally, I restore from a backup.

I made sure all my apps were updated today and I'm ready to start hitting "update" at 1:00 p.m. Eastern.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Are your contacts associated with an email service like iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, etcetera? If so, all you have to do is configure your new device with the email account and then enable the sync button next to Contacts. They will then automatically sync to your device.

Thanks for the help and I have a question on this. I use g-mail, but not the app on my phone. I use Mailbox. I don't sync to the cloud (contacts).

So, what would be an easy way to do this? It seems if I just went to mail,contacts, calendars>iCloud>and enabled the slider for contacts I should then have them on my new phone when I get it set up? Is this the easiest and is there a downside?

And no I don't care about the messages I have. Also, I keep barely any pictures on my phone. I am able top access my NAS at home and all photos are on there and I access through the app I have for it.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Ringfinger, I use Gmail and all my contacts and calendar are tied to my Gmail account. When I bought my iPad, all I have to do is to sync them up and I got everything available on the iPad. It should be the same on the iPhone. With that said, I use Gmail app and not mailbox. Why wouldn't you want to use the app?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
My G-Mail calendar is tied to my iPhone already so check.

Does the G-Mail app pushed or pulled? I like to get my e-mail pushed to me when it is available, not at some random interval, that's why I use Mailbox however I am open to suggestions. ;-)

How does one "sync them up" and what about crap that is in G-Mail already that I don't want on my phone? I see contacts in there that were somehow created however I don't know the person really and don't want them in my contacts. Help?

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Gmail is push. Easy way to check is to send yourself an email and see. Mine comes up instantaneously. And if you have read the email, it will be updated as read on all of your devices instantaneously. By default, any person that sends you an email will automatically be added to your contacts. I don't know if there is a setting to turn it off or not but you can check. It does not bother me and I never check.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Gmail is push. Easy way to check is to send yourself an email and see. Mine comes up instantaneously. And if you have read the email, it will be updated as read on all of your devices instantaneously. By default, any person that sends you an email will automatically be added to your contacts. I don't know if there is a setting to turn it off or not but you can check. It does not bother me and I never check.

Okay, being push takes care of one of the concerns. The other is this, I don't want to add new contacts to my iPhone every single time I send an e-mail, that would be outrageous. Is there a difference between the e-mail contact that is created and the one on my iPhone that has name, address, phone number, etc? I don't want all these contacts put on my e-mail when I e-mail someone once, like info@xyzcompany.com I like that e-mail addresses come up automatically in g-mail, that I am fine with. My isue is when I go to contacts on my iPhone, I have 1000 new contacts from people I sent one email to.

So, what do I do and how do I get my iphone contacts onto g-mail?