After reading the Review Roundup on iMore, I am starting to second guess the 6 Plus decision....

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Re: After reading the Review Roundup on iMore, I am starting to second guess the ...

There's a bias that creeps up when you have two things to review at same time. And when some sites assign scores to their reviews, just keep in mind it's NEVER consistent.

Here's some things I'm seeing in the reviews:

1. The iphone 6 and plus have great screens. But the Plus is the best I've seen and you can't tell text has jagged lines is a common line in these reviews. Which of course implies they can on the iphone 6 but I doubt this is true in everyday usage. Retina HD? That seems redundant. Retina is HD. HD is retina (when it comes to phone size). You may as well say the 5S is retina HD?

2. Battery life can't be tested well because they didn't have them enough. It depends on usage and what you're doing. The Plus wasn't that significantly longer. You're still going to charge these things daily.

3. OIS seems to matter for just those shots in low light. Even then it's not a big deal. I wouldn't base my decision on this feature. Both are great.

4. You can expect apps to not look right or be a bit weird on the Plus for the first few months. Have to give things time.

5. The camera sticks out on both. Funny how the apple case fixes this. Almost by design? If so, it's something Apple goes to lengths to hide in promo shots.

6. The Plus is clocked faster but both have the same RAM and chip otherwise. It's too early to see what kind of impact this will have on daily usage and when iOS is updated. I'm not that concerned about the downscaling though anymore.

7. Both are portable. I was never concerned about that.

8. Neither will have the best one handed usage. That's the iphone 4/4S. Even the 5 made that slightly worse. The 6 and Plus just throw it to the wind. If I can hold the phone in one hand and still use my thumb to navigate around, then it'll be fine. Siri has been improved, and I can work around it.

9. Neither are "slightly" less than an ipad mini. It's a whole lot less. Neither will run tablet or ipad apps. The Plus will run hybrid apps and this may be the future anyways. Not all ipad apps are available in phone versions. But perhaps they'll consider a 6 Plus version.

10. One commented the mute switch on the plus kept getting turned off/on when he'd pocket it. It's a beast of a phone. But IMO, it's the phone that will make you think the money you spent was worth spending. That the experience is totally different. Personally, I usually have my 5S locked to portrait and only unlock when I need to. I'm not much for landscape viewing.

Bottom line, I'll let fate sort it out. If a Plus is in stock, I'll get one. If not, I'll grab a 6.

twofooted

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I think some of the gripes reviewers have had with the plus has been subjective. Just because one person feels a phone is too big and it is portrayed in the way they "score" the phone doesn't necessarily mean it will make a difference to people who enjoy larger phones.

I am still just as excited, if not more so after reading reviews, to get my Plus on Friday at my doorstep. Hopefully no one feels remorse for buying the Plus after reading reviews. Should be a great phone all around.

icnmayhem

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: After reading the Review Roundup on iMore, I am starting to second guess the ...

coming from a note 3, I have zero concerns about the size

maevinj

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

I think the only thing concerning for me is the 1GB of ram. I'm curious how the new chip will handle multiple tabs in Safari.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I was concerned about one handed use...and then I started paying attention to how I use my 5S and realized I NEVER one hand type on it lol.

Gazella

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

There's a bias that creeps up when you have two things to review at same time. And when some sites assign scores to their reviews, just keep in mind it's NEVER consistent.

Here's some things I'm seeing in the reviews:

1. The iphone 6 and plus have great screens. But the Plus is the best I've seen and you can't tell text has jagged lines is a common line in these reviews. Which of course implies they can on the iphone 6 but I doubt this is true in everyday usage. Retina HD? That seems redundant. Retina is HD. HD is retina (when it comes to phone size). You may as well say the 5S is retina HD?

2. Battery life can't be tested well because they didn't have them enough. It depends on usage and what you're doing. The Plus wasn't that significantly longer. You're still going to charge these things daily.

3. OIS seems to matter for just those shots in low light. Even then it's not a big deal. I wouldn't base my decision on this feature. Both are great.

4. You can expect apps to not look right or be a bit weird on the Plus for the first few months. Have to give things time.

5. The camera sticks out on both. Funny how the apple case fixes this. Almost by design? If so, it's something Apple goes to lengths to hide in promo shots.

6. The Plus is clocked faster but both have the same RAM and chip otherwise. It's too early to see what kind of impact this will have on daily usage and when iOS is updated. I'm not that concerned about the downscaling though anymore.

7. Both are portable. I was never concerned about that.

8. Neither will have the best one handed usage. That's the iphone 4/4S. Even the 5 made that slightly worse. The 6 and Plus just throw it to the wind. If I can hold the phone in one hand and still use my thumb to navigate around, then it'll be fine. Siri has been improved, and I can work around it.

9. Neither are "slightly" less than an ipad mini. It's a whole lot less. Neither will run tablet or ipad apps. The Plus will run hybrid apps and this may be the future anyways. Not all ipad apps are available in phone versions. But perhaps they'll consider a 6 Plus version.

10. One commented the mute switch on the plus kept getting turned off/on when he'd pocket it. It's a beast of a phone. But IMO, it's the phone that will make you think the money you spent was worth spending. That the experience is totally different. Personally, I usually have my 5S locked to portrait and only unlock when I need to. I'm not much for landscape viewing.

Bottom line, I'll let fate sort it out. If a Plus is in stock, I'll get one. If not, I'll grab a 6.

Where did you read numbers 7 and 9?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. Maybe we are just finding different reviews. The ones I am reading almost always conclude on the 6.

Sidenote: I am horribly indecisive person in general. Been that way ever since Nintendo vs. Sega.

That's just it though...there are no reviews that compare the two and "conclude on the 6" as you said. If there are, show them...so far everything you've posted were individual reviews for each device and praise on both ends for each device. These reviews are not the reasoning for your second guessing, your self admitted indecisiveness is what's doing it.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
This is a very good point. One that I am starting to see now

I think some of the gripes reviewers have had with the plus has been subjective. Just because one person feels a phone is too big and it is portrayed in the way they "score" the phone doesn't necessarily mean it will make a difference to people who enjoy larger phones.

I am still just as excited, if not more so after reading reviews, to get my Plus on Friday at my doorstep. Hopefully no one feels remorse for buying the Plus after reading reviews. Should be a great phone all around.

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
It all comes down to how big of a phone you want- my advice is to go to an Apple store and try them out. I had a S3 and that had a 4.8" screen. That to me was a perfect size. But I'm planning on getting the plus (again, this is depending on how the test run goes at an Apple store).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2