The Verge Video Review of the 6 Plus

isuquinndog

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It's a really fantastic review. It is huge, but like the text review says, it's going to change things. He mentions that he doesn't even consider getting his iPad Mini out any more now with the iPhone 6 Plus. I really think that you are going to start hearing this more and more.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I feel that review was quite honest and to the point, without any of the predisposed fanboyism or troll hate you'd see from other review blogs. I actually enjoyed the video and felt I would have a nice idea what I was getting into had I not known anything about the device to begin with. Props to Verge...

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I also felt the review was honest. The iPhone 6 one was honest as well. It's an improvement of existing technology with a better screen. Nothing more, nothing less

xoxojess

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the best reviews I've seen in awhile. Extremely honest and that's appreciated. I have been going back and forth with myself about the sizes and I think this video sealed the deal for me in wanting the 6 Plus. I have smaller hands and I am actually looking forward to a bigger phone. I say this now.. I will let you know how that goes. :cant-watch:

Props to Verge for this review!

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Watching the review made me happy to have ordered the 6 Plus. Now if it would just get here

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

CycloneFW

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
It's a really fantastic review. It is huge, but like the text review says, it's going to change things. He mentions that he doesn't even consider getting his iPad Mini out any more now with the iPhone 6 Plus. I really think that you are going to start hearing this more and more.

I agree. I had been contemplating ordering an iPad Mini and was waiting to see if any refreshes come out before Christmas. Now I think I will be fine with my iPhone 6+.

isuquinndog

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I had been contemplating ordering an iPad Mini and was waiting to see if any refreshes come out before Christmas. Now I think I will be fine with my iPhone 6+.
Yep same here. I thought about asking Santa for an iPad Mini but I really don't see a need anymore.

WDavis4692

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
funny how they didn't use the same con they used in the Note 3 review: Still too big for many people. Nor the fact they gave the Lumia 1520 a 8/10 on battery life and the iPhone 9/10 when it's widely known the 1520 has not only a substantially larger battery but the best battery life on the market - even today. (They also gave the 1520 a poor 7/10 camera score but the 6+ a 10/10 which astonishes me given the high quality of the pureview cameras - at least the 1020 got 10/10)

Then again, reviews are always purely subjective. I just remember the Verge always rambling on about phones becoming too big, and yet when apple does it all of a sudden too big becomes reasonable. I take what I read on the Verge with a pinch of salt at best. Especially the comment "The iPhone has long had a better camera than just about any Android phone". Wonderful as the 6+ is, that comment is just laughably untrue. Whilst Apple is making long strides with its camera, at the price point (even including the new software) it's far from the best offering on the market.

The verge also bashed the 1520 for failing to make use of the extra screen real-estate (something the note 3 does quite well) and they even mention this very same flaw with the 6+, but they don't deduct score because of it. It even says it here: "But Apple didn’t do any of that. It just made a bigger, better iPhone.""

Earlier in the review he goes on about how the other manufacturers need to take a leaf out of apple's book with the display, but I distinctly remember the 1520 review on Verge praising the display's amazing sunlight readability, assertive pixel technology, popping colours and all that jazz.

Still, the 6+ should eat nicely into the small tablet market. Large phones are outselling small tablets now.

Last edited:

gullette76

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Of like to know if anyone has seen any reviews about the sound, since going to only one speaker, if sound hence music, videos or movies has improved or stayed the same?

gullette76

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
funny how they didn't use the same con they used in the Note 3 review: Still too big for many people. Nor the fact they gave the Lumia 1520 a 8/10 on battery life and the iPhone 9/10 when it's widely known the 1520 has not only a substantially larger battery but the best battery life on the market - even today. (They also gave the 1520 a poor 7/10 camera score but the 6+ a 10/10 which astonishes me given the high quality of the pureview cameras - at least the 1020 got 10/10)

Then again, reviews are always purely subjective. I just remember the Verge always rambling on about phones becoming too big, and yet when apple does it all of a sudden too big becomes reasonable. I take what I read on the Verge with a pinch of salt at best. Especially the comment "The iPhone has long had a better camera than just about any Android phone". Wonderful as the 6+ is, that comment is just laughably untrue. Whilst Apple is making long strides with its camera, at the price point (even including the new software) it's far from the best offering on the market.

The verge also bashed the 1520 for failing to make use of the extra screen real-estate (something the note 3 does quite well) and they even mention this very same flaw with the 6+, but they don't deduct score because of it. It even says it here: "But Apple didn’t do any of that. It just made a bigger, better iPhone.""

Earlier in the review he goes on about how the other manufacturers need to take a leaf out of apple's book with the display, but I distinctly remember the 1520 review on Verge praising the display's amazing sunlight readability, assertive pixel technology, popping colours and all that jazz.

Still, the 6+ should eat nicely into the small tablet market. Large phones are outselling small tablets now.

Any heard anything about sound quality being louder or better?

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
One point I agree with is that this will be the first phone I don't mind hiding it behind a case.

I love the classic design of the 4-5S, I understand they needed to make the change but I wish they just did stayed close to it.

tapatalk LG pro D852

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

As for the Note, yes, still too big for many people. As for the 6+, yes, still too big for most people and they're getting the 6. Your point? All the reviews I have read on the Nokia indicate that the battery life was lower than expected so even though it was a larger battery, in practice, it fell flat. It doesn't beat the Note 2 or Note 3. Compared to the phablets, yes, the 1520 got an 8, the note 3 got a 9. Should you compare a phablet to a normal sized phone?Will all small phones get really low scores because they can’t compete with phablets? That doesn’t make any sense.

www.theverge.com/2013/10/1/4787994/samsung-galaxy-note-3-review Rewatch the Note 3 review. I didn’t hear anything like you said. In fact, he quite plainly mirrors the thoughts on the 6+ size. As for the androids having a better camera, I very much disagree given a)the quality that we see in the photos compared to everyone else b)The quickness of focusing which android phones have trouble with and c) if it focuses at all. This is the trap in falling for technology = better. That is not the case. I was fooled completely by Nokia flashing a bunch of specs in my eye and saying the 920 was the best camera phone on the market. The reviews said that the 1520 needed a long time to focus, maybe that was part of it? I can imagine it being like the 920 and pissing me off and making me miss shots. The verge said, “The 1520 still has some of the 1020’s software tricks, including the ability to re-crop and reframe a photo after the fact and zoom in slightly without loss of quality, but it doesn’t come close to the same level of impressiveness as the 1020. In side-by-side low-light tests, the 1520 lost to the iPhone 5S repeatedly, and couldn’t hold a candle to the 1020.” That is what THEY found. Whether that is what other people found, I’m not sure. In the case of the S5, you'll see people wondering why the camera falls flat compared to the iPhone if you look at the Android forums.

Go back to the review and you'll see they didn't deduct from the display score on the 1520 either. Here is the link:Nokia Lumia 1520 review | The Verge

He said in the review that "video on any big screen phone is great so it is up to Apple to take better advantage of the size" but I didn't hear anywhere that "manufacturers need to take a leaf out of apple's book with the display". Can you show the time at which this occurs?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73