Alternatives to lining up

gshurling

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure my Verizon store will have many iPhone 6 pluses on launch day. I lined up at 5am last year and barely got my 5s.

Are there any other places that may be off the beaten path like small Radio Shacks, WalMarts, Best Buys... etc that may give me a shot at one on launch day if I don't get one that morning at the Verizon store?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If I could answer that for you, I'd probably have a good shot at winning the lotto too. No one knows these answers because no one knows what stores will get as far as inventory, what the lines will be like, etc.

How bad do you want a 6 plus on launch day? Bad enough to line up for 12 hours? Only bad enough to risk it by getting in line at 5 or 6? That lies on you. But there are no shortcuts or hidden tricks. Whoever is in line first will have the best odds.

Last edited:

tyler_barnhardt

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
How close are you to an Apple store? I think that is your best bet. Like Finn said though no one knows the inventory of the stores so the earlier you get there the better your odds are.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I would go to the smallest Verizon store in your area. That's what I did last year. I got there at 5:25am and I was second in line. The first guy was merely 10 minutes ahead of me. Needless to say, I got exactly what I wanted. Hopefully this year will be a repeat.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
How close are you to an Apple store? I think that is your best bet. Like Finn said though no one knows the inventory of the stores so the earlier you get there the better your odds are.

Agreed. I think the Apple store is your best bet. They usually have enough stock to cover everyone in line and more. Although if you want a 6 plus you might need to get there early. My past experiences have been that if you line up at the Apple store early enough (3-4 am) you'll get what you want. Arrive any later and as the line up grows, your options become limited for size and color.

xoxojess

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I would go to the smallest Verizon store in your area. That's what I did last year. I got there at 5:25am and I was second in line. The first guy was merely 10 minutes ahead of me. Needless to say, I got exactly what I wanted. Hopefully this year will be a repeat.

I second this as well. I'm in Atlanta but there are dozens of Verizon stores in the surrounding areas. I went to a smaller store around 5:30ish for the 5s and was 4th or 5th in line I believe. I will be doing the same this year but I will probably get there around 2 or 3 in the morning just to be safe.

Hectorius

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Wait a month or so, until the craziness dies down. Thats what I'm doing. Maybe wait until the Apple watch is release next year and get both. Life to short for me to stand in line for a smartphone.

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site

I second this as well. I'm in Atlanta but there are dozens of Verizon stores in the surrounding areas. I went to a smaller store around 5:30ish for the 5s and was 4th or 5th in line I believe. I will be doing the same this year but I will probably get there around 2 or 3 in the morning just to be safe.

I'd never thought of factoring in the size of the store. Sounds like a good idea! Let me think this over. I have only just relocated and haven't had a chance to gauge the size of the stores in my area. I know we have a Best Buy that is within 8 minutes of my place, but I've called and they estimate it will be a crazy morning.

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I did a little calling around today and while the stores may not 100% know, I know for a FACT that my carrier will have 0 6+ units in store on the 19th anywhere within a 50+ mile radius. Someone in store told me that the phone isn't launching that day - I was flabbergasted so I called corporate and they said that they aren't getting any because any units they were going to get are already preordered and promised out to customers.

An Apple Store is the ONLY way I'd get a 6+ on launch day, and that's only if I'm very lucky. I'm debating whether or not I want to get on the list to have one mailed to me in October or if I want to walk in and pick one up around the same timeframe, because the chances of getting one on Friday are so slim I may as well wait anyway.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I did a little calling around today and while the stores may not 100% know, I know for a FACT that my carrier will have 0 6+ units in store on the 19th anywhere within a 50+ mile radius. Someone in store told me that the phone isn't launching that day - I was flabbergasted so I called corporate and they said that they aren't getting any because any units they were going to get are already preordered and promised out to customers.

An Apple Store is the ONLY way I'd get a 6+ on launch day, and that's only if I'm very lucky. I'm debating whether or not I want to get on the list to have one mailed to me in October or if I want to walk in and pick one up around the same timeframe, because the chances of getting one on Friday are so slim I may as well wait anyway.

Thanks for the tip...:)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The best alternative would be to just order it online and wait for it to ship. Just because it says it'll ship on x date doesn't mean there's not a chance it'll be shipped earlier. X date is like a worst case scenario type of date that Apple gives. Plenty of people who used this method last year got their device earlier than expected.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73