Touch ID for payments only

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Glad you are not mad at a post I posted. Sorry if you didn't pick up my point in that post and sorry for you if you still not getting it. Let's move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I understood what you posted just fine, I was just confused how you thought it was relevant to his question...but feel free to keep moving.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What Sean said is correct. You can have your fingerprint setup right now to only use for App Store purchases and not have to have fingerprint unlock enabled.

But, if I'm understanding correctly, are you saying you don't even want to have a passcode setup to unlock the phone? The only way you will be able to setup fingerprints for anything would be having a passcode enabled.

For example, I just completely removed my passcode and turned off fingerprints. I then enabled only app store fingerprint and it asked me to setup a passcode again. Even with the phone unlock toggled off, sliding to unlock requires you still to use your passcode to get in.

Bottom line: You'll probably be able to use the fingerprint for only Apple Pay, but there isn't going to be a way around sliding to unlock without a passcode.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
What Sean said is correct. You can have your fingerprint setup right now to only use for App Store purchases and not have to have fingerprint unlock enabled.

But, if I'm understanding correctly, are you saying you don't even want to have a passcode setup to unlock the phone? The only way you will be able to setup fingerprints for anything would be having a passcode enabled.

For example, I just completely removed my passcode and turned off fingerprints. I then enabled only app store fingerprint and it asked me to setup a passcode again. Even with the phone unlock toggled off, sliding to unlock requires you still to use your passcode to get in.

Bottom line: You'll probably be able to use the fingerprint for only Apple Pay, but there isn't going to be a way around sliding to unlock without a passcode.

This exactly. Once finger print is enable there is the pass code on the lock screen automatically.
Finger print to unlock device can be turn off while finger print to purchase in App Store can be on or the other way round. But once anyone of them is enable, pass code is force to be added on lock screen.
Another way to say, if the OP is against lockscreen pass code, then at least till date no chance to enable finger print.
And trying to point out the good why pass code force to be on lockscreen when finger print is enable because it's the reason OP turn off finger print he stated but... not a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gravage

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site

That's what I was afraid of. Bummer. I pretty much despise having lockscreen security. Looks like I won't be using Apple pay. The fingerprint scanner on the GS5 sucks, but at least they let you use it solely for Paypal without forcing lockscreen security.

Apple seriously needs to rethink some of their policies.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To be totally honest, I just tried it without the fingerprint or code password where you slide the screen...there was more effort involved in sliding the screen than there was placing my thumb on the sensor and having it unlock in that fashion. Not to say your preference is wrong, but the difference to me was favorable towards the fingerprint scanner really (in terms of speed of access).

It's also become habit for me now so that's another thing entirely.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
To be totally honest, I just tried it without the fingerprint or code password where you slide the screen...there was more effort involved in sliding the screen than there was placing my thumb on the sensor and having it unlock in that fashion. Not to say your preference is wrong, but the difference to me was favorable towards the fingerprint scanner really (in terms of speed of access).

Agreed. In fact, it’s become such a habit that I get frustrated when my iPad doesn’t open immediately. Then I remember that Touch ID has not yet been implemented on the iPad Mini.

gravage

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site

It's being forced into using lockscreen security at all that turns me off. I don't get company mail on my phone because of the requirement and I certainly shouldn't be required to use it just to use the fingerprint scanner for other things. I have never lost a phone and someone would have to kill me to take it. I simply don't need it and have no desire to have to use it every time I want to check a text message.

It's easy for you because you're probably using the home button to wake the device. I always use the power button to lessen the wear and tear on the already over-used home button because every mechanical part has a limited number of uses and I have had friends who had home buttons go bad on their iPhones.

Lockscreen security and app security should be two separate things. It's that simple. One should not necessitate the other.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It's being forced into using lockscreen security at all that turns me off. I don't get company mail on my phone because of the requirement and I certainly shouldn't be required to use it just to use the fingerprint scanner for other things. I have never lost a phone and someone would have to kill me to take it. I simply don't need it and have no desire to have to use it every time I want to check a text message.

It's easy for you because you're probably using the home button to wake the device. I always use the power button to lessen the wear and tear on the already over-used home button because every mechanical part has a limited number of uses and I have had friends who had home buttons go bad on their iPhones.

Lockscreen security and app security should be two separate things. It's that simple. One should not necessitate the other.

I get where you’re coming from. You’re entitled to your opinion. But the way it’s implemented it way that Apple chose to do it. It is what it is.

With regard to the overuse of the Home button, all I can say is that I’ve been using iPhones for a long time. I have owned every model. I’ve never had a Home button fail for any reason, including "wear and tear". Again, just my experience. YMMV.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods