What is the easiest way to swap accounts with the least fees?

Sno_Bord

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I preordered a 6+ for pickup at an Apple store on launch day using my wife's upgrade (separate account from mine). We want to put the 6+ on my account and then put my current phone on her account, a swap so to say. What is the easiest way to do this with the least fees (eg activation fees)?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea, but I suggest you call your carrier and ask them. They would most likely be the best source of information in this regard, in my opinion...:)

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
If it's a normal upgrade, then just call your carrier and they'll activate it on the right one.

When doing it online, there was an option to even do cross-upgrades where you will then have the new contract on your line and the other line gets your old contract that wasn't ready for an upgrade.

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
If it's a normal upgrade, then just call your carrier and they'll activate it on the right one.

When doing it online, there was an option to even do cross-upgrades where you will then have the new contract on your line and the other line gets your old contract that wasn't ready for an upgrade.
Usually they have to be lines on the same account to do cross-upgrades. He stated that it was 2 separate accounts.

Sent from my LG G3 locked to T-Mobile

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Usually they have to be lines on the same account to do cross-upgrades. He stated that it was 2 separate accounts.

Sent from my LG G3 locked to T-Mobile

You're right... it's usually done that way, but different accounts doesn't make a difference when doing a 2 year. If they OP was participating in the Next program, then there could possibly be an issue.

Bestbuy is known for doing that. Because they use two systems. One for the discount and another to activate the device. My friend steals his dads/stepmoms/brothers upgrades all the time. Goes to Bestbuy, does the upgrade in the system and they activate it on his line.

metacuate

May 3, 2013
Visit site
No issue, just swap SIM cards out and BAM done. As easy as that. If you need the additional iPhone features (like iPhone voicemail), just call AT&T and they will switch the phone from 4glte to iPhone data and voicemail.

Posted via iMore App

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I use to go to best buy and take my sisters upgrade we were on different accounts. They would just activate it on her account first deactivate it, then activate it on my account the whole process was like 20 minutes

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Att and tmobile is just a matter of swapping SIM cards. I think you have to call your carrier for Verizon and sprint.