Will the iPhone 6 Plus replace the need for an iPad Air / iPad Mini?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I definitely want to get the iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB, but I'm wondering if it'd be overkill to have the iPad Air 2 128 GB Wifi as well. What do you all think?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I definitely want to get the iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB, but I'm wondering if it'd be overkill to have the iPad Air 2 128 GB Wifi as well. What do you all think?

Only you can make that decision. But the devices have unique and separate functions. The sizes are not that close. Look at this photo and tell me they can serve the same function. BTW, the iPad is the Mini (7.9" screen).

View attachment 64302

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the iPad Air LTE/Wifi 128 that i sold along with my mac mini. Going to replace them with a rMBP. The 6 Plus will be my media consumption device. So just a MBP and 6 Plus, no iPad anymore.

jayzero76

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I think one device should be enough or go iphone 5s and iPad. That's the best time. Iphone 6 plus can replace all and than you have a good deal. Even paying 1000$ but you getting booth.

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm coming from a different computer camp (Surface Pro 3) but with same idea - replacing my iPhone 5 with an iPhone 6 Plus and just having these two devices. Would be the same if I were a MBA or rMBP user - I'd desperately try to reduce my gear carriage to two devices. I realize the 5.5" is giving up a lot of screen real estate to the iPad Mini, but I tried the Mini route and found I still needed my iPhone and often just gave up and squinted at it's 4" screen instead of carrying both. Having dabbled with the Galaxy Note 3 for a few weeks, I think the 5.5" screen is going to hit the sweet spot of portability and function.

Here's hoping next year's "S" model drops the left and right bezels, shrinks the top bezels, and delivers 6.2" glory in the same frame. :biggrin: :yes:

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I as originally going to get a mini but got blessed with an iPad 3 64g! I love the size and use it quite a bit for video. I usually don't take it with me except to take notes in church or certain instances where I want it. It will be nice to have a +....I think. I have 3 kids so definitely need the one hand ability.

jtb79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I can't decide either. I want to sell my iPad 4 and my 5S and get a 6 plus but I'm afraid I'll just end up buying another iPad down the road...

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't get rid of my Tablet because of the 6 Plus. I don't have a Mini but I use my tablet for other things my phone will never replace my iPad or Paperwhite

MrLogan

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for others, but I sold my iPad Mini Retina now that I've pre-ordered the 6 Plus. The screen isn't as large, but it's large enough for me to do what I did with my iPad Mini: read ebooks and comics. Maybe not as optimally, but I'll always have my phone with me.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a Note 3 at 5.7" screen and I found myself more often than not reaching for my iPad if I needed to read large amounts of text or browse an info packed website. I bought the Note in the hopes that it would stop that very thing from happening but it really didn't. I don't see the 6+ being any different at all, hence why i went for the 4.7".

Like there will be a number of people with the 4.7" wishing they got the larger device, I foresee a lot of people going the other way too.

KennyMcCormack

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The iPad and iPhone really do serve different purposes. The advantage of the iPad for me would be screen size and battery life. The iPhone 6+ could definitely make playing some games easier to use. If the 6+ is my primary communication device, I'm not as inclined to use it as much as an iPad or other extra device I dont mind running dead.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
It won't replace my iPad Air. I still think the larger screen of the iPad lends itself to reading technical docs/pdfs which may be pre-formatted to a letter size, typing long winded emails, and even movies/videos. It will hopefully reduce my need to take my iPad with me to as many places. So I still plan on taking my iPad with me on business trips, but maybe not that errand to shop with my wife where I usually have time to kill during the excursion. :)

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

Not for me. Each Apple device I own has a purpose. My Macbook Pro is my school and work device for home work. My iPad Air is what I take with me to class. And my iPhone (soon to be 6+) is my everything in between.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the iPad 4 and I have pre-ordered the 6+. I don't think it will replace my iPad 4.....especially on watching Vudu movies or U-verse program. But of course, I will certainly do more on my 6+ than my iPad.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
When I bought my Mac Pro Retina last week I got a 110 gift card which I used to buy the rMini. Then I find out about the 6+ so was kind of conflicted. I use the mini for content consumption and reading some of my school texts. But in the end I decided to stick with the rMini for the screen and cancel my preorder of the 6+ because I'd have to raise my plan by 50 dollars and to buy it outright is about $960 in Canada.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Only you can make that decision. But the devices have unique and separate functions. The sizes are not that close. Look at this photo and tell me they can serve the same function. BTW, the iPad is the Mini (7.9" screen).

View attachment 64302

You will be surprised, that having a small tablet let alone any tablet AND a 5.5"+ phone as well you simply don't use the tablet as much so some may find it redundant some may not.

jonquiljo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If you can afford it, the mini is still useful, though I will use mine much less when my 6 plus arrives. iPad Air will never be replaced by a phone. I hope they make a bigger 12+" iPad. That will really sell. People are usually not restricted by costs on these things. It's a myth. Lots of people spend more on phones and Internet service than they do on transportation these days. Eventually all the service providers and phone/tablet makers will have to take less profit and keep costs down. Even for Apple, the gravy train will not last forever.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73