Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts

Default Re: Any runners planning to get an iPhone 6 Plus?

Pre-ordered the 6 for aptly this reason. I have to take my phone on jogs to be reachable.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,143 Global Posts

I'm a runner and I'm getting the 6+. I don't foresee any issues with running with it.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I'm plan on just tossing it in my front pocket of my shorts, I have a 5KM to do the weekend after I get it so, it's going to be fun testing it out so soon. I thought if it's that bad, all just pick up a used ipod.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #29  

Quote Originally Posted by raybeem View Post
    I can't recommend this for the 6 plus YET before trying it out but I plan on using my Fuel Belt that stretches hopefully enough to accommodate the larger 6 plus size. You can pick the fuel belt up on Amazon. I run a lot here are a couple of quick suggestions 1. Adidas Boost running shoes! These are the shoes that helped me with all the miles of training leading up to qualifying for the Boston Marathon 2013 & 2014. These are not ordinary shoes the midsoles are made of a crazy material that does not wear out or get hard in cold weather so it protects and cushions the joints and makes longer runs feel shorter! I wear a $79 Wahoo Tickr heart rate strap (this strap has special accelerometers that can measure the smoothness of your stride along with your cadence .$150 Magellan Echo bluetooth watch that Echo's all the data coming from the iPhone like pace of run based on the phones gps along with heart rate data from the heart rate strap, (Even though the Apple watch will blow everything away!) this watch is wonderful, I wear it 24/7 use it all the time and the battery goes for 6 to 11 months! I also can't gush enough about JayBird's Blue Bud X wireless BT headphones. These are hands-down the very best sounding running BT headphones available. And they are guaranteed sweat proof. The fuel belt I mention above to hold the iPhone also has 4 gel loops and 2 connectors to hold a race bib. If I can cram the 6 plus into this belt I'll be set! As a runner I can't imagine putting a 6 plus in a case on my arm! Lol! I won't be able to reply back until the 1st of Oct. Because that's when Apple says I will get my 128gb space gray 6 plus even though I ordered 15 seconds after they finally opened the Apple Store last night:-(
    Wow. Thanks, Ray. I've been wanting to try the Adidas Boost but I'm quite fond of my New Balance 1400s. They're the perfect shoe for me and I'll probably stick with them until they're discontinued. I've done 5k through half marathon distances with them.

I use a pebble paired with runkeeper to seeg stats during a run. That works nicely.

I can't wait to hear everyone's feedback on how the 6plus does on a run. I'm still thinking it may be too big for my liking, but keeping an open mind.
    iMore Nanite

Here is a pic of an LG3 which is about the size of an 6 plus in my fuel belt. Works fine!Any runners planning to get an iPhone 6 Plus?-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1410618947.086389.jpgAny runners planning to get an iPhone 6 Plus?-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1410618973.772166.jpg
    iMore Beginner

I never thought about that. I usually run with my phone in my hand.. I was going to say I'll just bring my  Watch (when it's released) on runs but if you need your phone to be with you, this won't work. Maybe get one of these? A flip belt..
    Last edited by Bradley Spence; 09-13-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    zerog46 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Spence View Post
    I never thought about that. I usually run with my phone in my hand.. I was going to say I'll just bring my  Watch (when it's released) on runs but if you need your phone to be with you, this won't work. Maybe get one of these? A flip belt..
    I just got a flip belt for running works great. Much better than armbands. It should handle iPhone 6+, I read somewhere people are using it with galaxy notes.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

I use an arm band with my htc one m8 and that isn't much bigger than the 6 plus but this flip belt looks cool. I also use the jaybird wireless headphones and they work great. Excited for my 6+
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,427 Global Posts

I hadn't really thought about it. I haven't been running (outside of using a treadmill) for quite a while. While I do have an iPod nano, if I actually venture outside, I like to use the GPS and have something in case of emergency. I may look into the belts mentioned earlier. I've used arm bands in the past, but they never seem to work out well for me and that can only get worse with the added size of the plus.
    iMore Beginner

I was just watching the Tim Cook interview with Charlie Rose and he said if you want to go for a run and listen to music you can leave your phone at home and just take the watch. That's pretty awesome! (Of course you need bluetooth headphones/earbuds for this)
    zachpenguin likes this.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #36  

I just tried a spibelt with my 5S and it works nicely. They make a bigger one that could be the solution for the 6Plus.
    iMore Beginner

I have the water-resistant standard sized SPIbelt and it's a very, very tight fit for the mockup iPhone 6 Plus I tried (i.e., my iPhone 5S with a foamboard cutout around it. I run about 30-40 miles per week with the 5S and I forget I'm wearing it, but to me the Plus felt too big for running and was always noticeable. It also felt too large for cycling when held in the SPIbelt. I have both phones preordered but will likely stick with the iPhone 6.

The one advantage the Plus has when used with a SPIbelt is that it nicely flattens the stomach while running :-)
    iMore Beginner

I thought that the Watch communicated with the iPhones GPS and did not have it's own GPS. If I'm to use the Watch instead of my Garmin 620 for running, I'd need GPS.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

I'm hoping to get a 6 Plus this week and plan to try running with it. I have a Moto X right now that I put in an ArmPocket and plan to buy a larger ArmPocket to accommodate the 6 Plus. I've been using their products for years and have ran/biked many miles. I run ~30 miles per week and sweat heavily, I've never had moisture problems from the sweat or even light rain using the ArmPocket, so I feel pretty good about buying another one.
    iMore Beginner

Me! Planning on carrying it in my hand or putting it in my running skirt pocket.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,894 Global Posts

That fuel belt reminds me of the fanny pack I wore for the Long Beach marathon a few years back lol
    iMore Nanite

I have the same question regarding the phone. Its too big for athletes. For the iwatch to work the phone must be present as well for the GPS and cell signal. I run 20 or more a week. Not very happy
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #43  

Default Any runners planning to get an iPhone 6 Plus?

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
    Me! Planning on carrying it in my hand or putting it in my running skirt pocket.
    What running skirt do you wear that has a pocket big enough for a 6Plus?

I ordered some Race Ready shorts and there are a ton of pockets, but i don't think the 6Plus will fit into the largest pocket. I think I will have to go with the SPIbelt or something similar.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    What running skirt do you wear that has a pocket big enough for a 6Plus?

I ordered some Race Ready shorts and there are a ton of pockets, but i don't think the 6Plus will fit into the largest pocket. I think I will have to go with the SPIbelt or something similar.
    SparkleSkirts | The world's most comfortable athletic skirt!

I THINK it'll fit.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #45  

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
    Thanks! They're pricey! I'll hold off ordering for now, but would love to hear how your 6Plus fits once you get yours. I am hoping that it'll fit in the Race Ready pocket, but only time will tell.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,427 Global Posts

That doesn't look half bad. Thanks for the link.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    The Watch will record your run, even without the phone. Sync data when you get back.

Of course, if you need the phone for other reasons. Music, Communication... then you are back to lugging the phone.

Check that... not sure about audio.
    Pretty sure you can have music stored on the watch. But not 100% sure. I think I heard cook mention it in his interview with Charlie rose.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

I run about 40 miles a week with my 5s and have several years of run data stored with Endomondo. I use a neoprene armband made Phillips. For me running with a phone is a must. I really liked the 6 Plus but I ended up ordering the 6 almost entirely because I thought it would be the most comfortable device to run with. I am interested to hear how the 6 Plus works with runners because I may reconsider getting the bigger iPhone the next time I upgrade.
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #50  

Quote Originally Posted by Aguaski View Post
    I run about 40 miles a week with my 5s and have several years of run data stored with Endomondo. I use a neoprene armband made Phillips. For me running with a phone is a must. I really liked the 6 Plus but I ended up ordering the 6 almost entirely because I thought it would be the most comfortable device to run with. I am interested to hear how the 6 Plus works with runners because I may reconsider getting the bigger iPhone the next time I upgrade.
    This is my exact dilemma. I don't run near the mileage you do but I do run often and have to be reachable. I will wait to hear from folks and also touch a 6Plus in a store before making a final decision.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast