For how long the iPhone 5s stays "usable"?

WaveTouch

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching to iPhone after a long time living with Android phone, but I don't have much budget and the best that I can get is refurbished iPhone 5s.

My only concern is its sustainability. For how long app developers still support it, Apple still sends it software updates, and for it to still perform fast? Many thanks.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching to iPhone after a long time living with Android phone, but I don't have much budget and the best that I can get is refurbished iPhone 5s.

My only concern is its sustainability. For how long app developers still support it, Apple still sends it software updates, and for it to still perform fast? Many thanks.

Welcome to iMore!

Should be good for a few years. My wife is using a 5 and it is still supported both by Apple and developers. The 5s is a very good phone.

Couver81

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I would think a year or more. Or at least I hope so since I just got a 5s. The appearance of the SE does make me think the 5s won't have as long a shelf life as the 4s though :(.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

The iPhone 5 and 4s are still active. I still have my 5. It does ok on 9.3. I think the 5s will hang around at least 2 more OS updates. iOS 10 and 11.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The 5S is a great device. It will get iOS 10 and probably iOS 11. I'm using my 5S on 9.3 with no problems.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure the 5s will be supported for a few more iterations of iOS but my main concern would be usable battery life. We're seeing a lot of dead iPhone 5s batteries in the forums. If you have a newer 5s or you've done a battery swap you should be good for a few years.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Still a long way to go...
A7 was a wonderful SoC, and the A8 isn't so much better.

Bruins_CCH_4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Still a long way to go...
A7 was a wonderful SoC, and the A8 isn't so much better.

Agree with this... Geek bench tests for the 5, 5s and 6 are telling. The 5s is twice the clock speed of the 5, but the 6 is only 20% faster than the 5s. I would say the 5s and 6 will last for roughly the same time frame since they also have the same amount of ram. The battery life will likely be the limiting factor.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Agree with this... Geek bench tests for the 5, 5s and 6 are telling. The 5s is twice the clock speed of the 5, but the 6 is only 20% faster than the 5s. I would say the 5s and 6 will last for roughly the same time frame since they also have the same amount of ram. The battery life will likely be the limiting factor.
Correct.
And by the way you still can replace battery on your iPhone: it's not that pricey.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

My iPhone 5S runs great on iOS 9.3.1. I agree that battery life may well be the limiting factor.

szymunk

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

I bought mine few months ago and it works smoothly. I'm sure it'll be able to keep up for few more years.

It's Apple.

Also, in any case, the value of the phone isn't going to decrease by 80% over a year and you'd still be able to sell it for a decent amount in case you're not happy. Don't worry.

Just make sure it's not too small for you

iP5S

May 13, 2016
Visit site
1st time iPhone user here coming from windows phone, the fluidity on this phone is awesome, i love how switching apps from one to another without having lag, i love my iphone 5s although it's a 3 years old phone.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I just switched from my Lumia Icon to a Nexus 5. Found a Nexus 6 for $75, traded that for this brand new 5s. Battery life was horrible and Modern Combat 5 lagged like crazy on Android, Google Now always drained heavily. My 5s, which still has limited warranty on it until Feb next year, has been amazing (minus the screen size). I knew that if the 4s was still getting updates (despite performance) that this would be a smart investment for updates, stability, better battery life, etc.

Still trying to make my way into a 6 somehow (still have the nexus 5 and Icon), but if I can't I'm a happy camper and fully expect this to get at least 3 more years of support (especially having a 64-but processor).

CrossedFaith

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm a first time iphone user. Just got the 5s the ohter day because it was within my budget. Got it from craigslist. Seems to hold a charge well. Took it off at 8am yesterday, and at around midnight i was at 53%? Something in that area. Light usage and whatnot.

Overall I'm very impressed with the 5s. Granted its a bit small for me, but its a great introduction to iphones!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77