How can I spy on my sons texts?

I

iMore Question

how can i spy on my sons texts?

My son has an iPhone 5s and he is using various text messaging apps with his friends. How can i monitor his phone usage without manhandling it?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
how can i spy on my sons texts?

Do you suspect foul play or wrongdoing? You're the adult! Just take the phone and look at it!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: how can i spy on my sons texts?

My kids are too old for this now, but I did run across this some time back. Perhaps it will help you.

https://start.uknowkids.com/mobile-phone-monitoring

We did use Life 360 for quite some time with them, although it does not monitor text messages. They knew it was on their phones, and they knew if they turned it off or did not use the "I'm safe and checking in" feature when they were supposed to... they'd lose their phones for a week. I checked in with them, and they checked in with me. We all knew were each other was at. All the time. Up front and out in the open.

https://www.life360.com

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site

We told our daughter that as long as she lived under our roof, we had her passcode to the phone and passwords to her facebook and other accounts. (emails etc.)
Until she got a job and paid for her Own phone.

it worked well for us.

We would see 15 year old kids taking pictures of their bag of weed and bongs etc because those kids parents didn't "do" facebook.

Of course we are old school. we didn't care if we were our kids friends. we did what was best for them even if they "hated" us for it.

Now that she is in her mid 20's, she thanks us for it. Of course at the time, she sure didn't like it. lol

Michelle Haag

Staff member
Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

My son is 15 and he knows full well that I have full access to his phone and anything that happens on it. I bought the phone, I pay the bill, and I'm still his mom. Granted, I don't pry unless I have reason to, and every time I've checked in on things it's been all good. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

My son is 15 and he knows full well that I have full access to his phone and anything that happens on it. I bought the phone, I pay the bill, and I'm still his mom. Granted, I don't pry unless I have reason to, and every time I've checked in on things it's been all good. :)

Now that's what I'm talking about....

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

You should teach a class. I'd send my wife.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It's not really up to us to tell the OP how to parent. We can tell him how we've handled it based on our experiences as parents though.

asmcbrian

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi there! A fellow parent would surely understand your dilemma here. While others would say this is not proper or that it is completely unethical to 'spy' on your child's phone, but as parents, we only want what's best for them and their safety. Surely, we don't want them to get to any trouble. Spying your child's phone is very possible since there are many apps that could do this. However, not all apps are the same. Some apps would still need for you to get hold of them phone to install and activate it. Gladly, I found some apps that would allow you to spy on your child's cellphone activity without needing to get hold of his phone. If both of you are using iPhones, all it needs is your Cloud ID. But if you're using Android, it might take a long shot or process to do this but better safe than sorry, right? But if your child is open-minded, maybe you can sit and talk things out or maybe ask for his permission that you'll be putting that app on his phone. Let him understand it is for his safety. Hope this helps.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

These discussions concern me, I don't like the control freak feeling about them, and am never sure when this behaviour is just sheer nosiness or even paranoia. The one thing I am absolutely sure of,is that any behaviour you wish your children not to do,and monitor for, they will do without your knowledge, or even having an inkling about it , if they really WANT TO !! The community of smart kids is very smart.
That aside, your children have the right to make mistakes by themselves, my three did and they're as ok as anyone else, I did and am fine, anyone that didn't is either unnatural or a liar. Do not spy on your kids, they'll find out and resent it,or if they know already,circumvent it. Give your kids some privacy.