iPhone 5s water damage, best recovery method?

I

iMore Question

iphone 5s water damage best recovery method?

Yesterday I recived a Iphone 5s with water damage, what is the best method to make it work again?
I have seen 2 methods, the first one is to put it in rice, the second is cleaning it with ethanol, wich one will work better?
The phone has dropped on water about a month ago, is there still hope?

Mollycat

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: iphone 5s water damage best recovery method?

I can't tell you if there is hope. I dropped my first iPhone, a 3, in a bucket of water and put it in rice. Oh, yeah, I also put it in a toaster oven and cooked it. I don't recommend that method. I said something like "You left me in a hot car". I sent it back and got a new one. Next time it was a 5s and a kitten I was fostering knocked it in the bathtub. I got it out really fast but it was wet and wouldn't do much so I shut it off. I read a lot and one reputable source had purposefully dropped phones in water and then tried to restore them. They said taking it apart and drying it on a shelf was preferable to the rice treatment (and definitely better than baking it). I took mine apart using utube and let it dry for a while. WHen I put it back together, it worked - except for the phone, that is. Or wifi. I read that that was usually an antenae problem, which entailed taking the battery out. I had not gone that deep. So, I never went farther, although I still think about it when I am particularly annoyed with Apple and iPhone 6. I particularly was unhappy to spend $900 on a new phone and find I was not "allowed" to restore my music. I had a large library and when I moved I donated all my CDs to the Humane Society, so I could NOT "just recopy them" as I was instructed to do.
So, I don't have an answer, but it is worth a try. I am not that dexterous and just didn't want to do it again, plus I use it as an ipod since Apple decided I couldn't have my old library of music (which I had already spent a vast amount of time ripping from CDs and would not ever have the time or patience to do that again). Good luck.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site

Does the device even power on ? It's way to late for the rice method. If it doesn't turn on, 9x out of 10 it's fried.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

After a month it should be dry so plug it in and hope for the best. The odds are not on your side

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

Was the phone dropped in water or was water spilled on it? In either case, if it doesn't turn on it's too late to recover the phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

If it were me, I'd make plans to purchase a new iPhone. The effects of water damage are sometimes immediate and other times appear later. A trickle down effect, for lack of a better term, occurs in numerous cases regarding water damaged iPhones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox