Newbie needs help with Family Sharing

szymunk

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Hello there happy iMore users!

At the beggining of my post let me apologize for not being able to find a right category for my post; I decided to put it in 5s forums because I'm using Family Sharing on 5s.

I wanted to connect my and my GF's accounts so she could download apps (I bought) for free. I'm such an app freak and I have many relatively-expensive apps that she would love to test out for free. I've got some questions tho:

1) Are we going to have our photos AUTOMATICALLY transfered to each other devices? I mean, no secrets between us, but privacy is privacy. I read some kind of a tutorial of how to use it and there was nothing about AUTOMATICAL transfer but I would prefer to make sure; only being able to share things on your own. I disabled "photos" in iCloud settings just in case.

2) As I am the "founder" of this family, I will be charged for any purchase made on my family behalf. So another thing is- can I get any protection? She's kinda new to iPhones and AppStore, I don't want her to buy something by accident. I heard when your kid buys something it asks you for permission- can I set something like this for a person above 18 years old?

That's it for now, thanks in advance!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll skip the questions altogether and say this. If all you want to do is allow her access to the app you've purchased then just sign in to the iTunes & App Store on her iPhone. That will allow her to go to the purchased section of the aforementioned stores and install any app that you've purchased or installed. She does not need to know the passcode, thus protecting you from unauthorized purchases.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
1. No. Photos won't be shared at all unless you manually share.

2. Yes, all purchases made by anyone in the "family" will be charged to your credit card. You can avoid this by having the other family member purchase iTunes cards and maintain a credit balance on their account. But no, you cannot set up "parental permissions" for an adult member of your Family Sharing. But if she "buys something by accident" (which is really hard to do), she can get a refund during the initial period after the purchase.

randally

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Can she log onto my account, download apps, log back to her account and still be able to use "my" apps?

Yes. Just know that whenever any of "your" apps need to update, they App Store will need to validate with YOUR password, otherwise the app will not update.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal