How would I wipe and reset my 5S if I don't have the password to get into the phone?

I

iMore Question

How would I wipe and reset my 5S if I don't have the password to get into the phone

My bratty daughter changed her password and I took the phone and going to sell it. She won't tell me the password.

If I don't find the answer here, I may try waterboarding her...

Your help may save a life...

(I am just kidding)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: How would I wipe and reset my 5S if I don't have the password to get into the phone

You can connect to iTunes via computer and put it in DFU mode and restore the phone. But to restore it, you would need her Apple ID and password to set it back up. Not the passcode to open the phone. All the data would be lost, including her photos.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: How would I wipe and reset my 5S if I don't have the password to get into the phone

Welcome to iMore! As @Ledsteplin stated it depends on whether you're talking about her passcode (which is used to unlock the phone and access it) or her Apple ID password.

If this is just a passcode issue, go ahead and use recovery mode to restore your device and regain access (here's an Apple Support article to help walk you through the process).

If it's an Apple ID password issue, you're out of luck if Find My iPhone is enabled in Settings > iCloud. The phone will be useless, even if you restore it back to factory settings. You'll need to get her password from her.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Maybe your daughter will give in if she knows she will lose her photos.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I suppose I'm just old school because "my" daughter would be giving up the password one way or the other, and I'll just leave it that.......Anyway, I'm going to assume you're referring to the lock screen passcode since you didn't state which. Having said that, connect the device to your computer and then select restore via iTunes. All data on it will be erased.