Scaling down, quite literally

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

Just wanted to share a bit of conundrum that I have been recently going through in the iPhone department...

First, let me tell you that I really like the fact that we have choices when it comes to the screen size of the iPhone. I am a fairly tall guy with rather large hands and, technically, I'm in the sweet spot for the Plus variants and that's what I opted for when it was the time for an upgrade. Except for... I'm done with it, quite literally, after a year of use.

Personally, I am an aesthetics thinker and I really like solid design; that's why I have always enjoyed the 5s as it looked, well, just gorgeous. In my opinion, it's the sharpest looking iPhone that Apple has made to date, unlike the 6(s) series. While I was in awe with 5s' chamfered edges and nice blend of plastic and metal case at the back, to this day I just cannot digest the rounded slab of metal with those rather silly looking antenna lines. On that note, I remember my first reaction to the 6 (Plus) - "unimpressed" was the first word. But I did want to give the size and the better camera the priority, and I went for it.

Naturally, the practicality is key so the 6(s) is a clear winner as it offers so many awesome things like 3D Touch, and the A9 chip is blazing fast. However, as I am typing this I can tell you that iOS 9.2 performs better on a stock iPhone 5s than on my 6 Plus, and yes, that's on a clean install of OS (set as new iPhone). For instance, Spotlight feels so laggy on the 6 Plus, and it's almost smooth on my SO's 5s. Then, the screen rotation animation on the 6 Plus that literally lags that is painful to watch, especially when you have any form of transparency factor involved. Then, when it comes to the raw power it appears that the A8 chipset was not that notably faster relative to A7, except for the gaming side that I do not do on my iPhone anyway. The only thing that might be noticeably better with the 6(s) is the camera - no doubts about that; while it feels that the 5s is not that far away, in low light conditions it is more than noticeable; for the video I record @HD 30fps (quality-to-file size ratio), so I could not care less about the 4K...

Finally, the size/weight factor. While it is easier to type on the on-screen keyboard with the 6 Plus (especially in the portrait mode), the large slab of metal feels so wobbly in my large hands that I always end up with a sensation that I am going to drop it. With the 5s I would have to squeeze my fingers (o yeah, big time), but I could also do something that I cannot do right now - type/operate quickly with my thumb only. Regardless, I have been using my Apple Watch to dictate iMessage prompts since I got it and that's how I know that typing should not be on my priority list.

Yeah, I know #firstworldproblems, and my #morningrant. That being said, I have made a conscious decision to get back to 5s and I am not looking back. I have just ordered the anamorphic adapter for the 5s to shoot some awesome photos with it (not affiliated, just sharing what I have found after rather long research) , and a decent tripod. I am excited like a kid waiting for Santa! And no, I do not care about the 6c...

Take whatever you want from this. Just wanted to share; peace & Merry Xmas, everyone!

Cheers.

Last edited:

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes, we all have our preferences and it is good to have so many choices currently on the market. I went from the 5 to the 6 and could never look back. I do have to agree with you that the 5/5s were the best aesthetically looking iPhones produced.

My reason for sticking with a 6, and currently considering the Plus, is my sight. Age can be hard on the eyes. It did not take me long to get use to the 6. Now I am considering the Plus. Again it is purely due to worsening vision. The added bonus is that I am now use to handling a larger phone than the 5. One of my biggest concerns was the size for typing as I have small hands. On the 5 one handed is no problem, but the 6 for me is definitely two handed. So whether I own a 6 or Plus will not matter. It will always be two handed for me.

My other concern was putting my phone in a pocket. But it has come down to it either being in my hand or in my jacket pocket. At work it is always in my backpack. So a Plus will be no problem there. I am not an extremely heavy user of my phone, but when I need it it is important. Both as an EMT and foreman for printing company that does all the repairs. This is where I think the Plus will be even better for me as I will not have to zoom all the time to read.

As I said we all have our preferences and are fortunate to have so many choices. Just wish they supported them more and longer considering what you have to pay for some of them.

All the best to you and family over the holidays.

2ndHalfCor

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Finally, the size/weight factor. While it is easier to type on the on-screen keyboard with the 6 Plus (especially in the portrait mode), the large slab of metal feels so wobbly in my large hands that I always end up with a sensation that I am going to drop it.

It doesn't come up much in the discussion of phone sizes, but this is the main thing that makes me dislike big phones (I've got both a Note 5 and an iPhone 5s). When I'm on the move and trying to use the phone with one hand, I always feel like I'm going to drop the Note, whereas the 5s feels comfortably secure. That's why I end up leaving the Note in the car and taking the 5s when I go into stores or the like.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't come up much in the discussion of phone sizes, but this is the main thing that makes me dislike big phones (I've got both a Note 5 and an iPhone 5s). When I'm on the move and trying to use the phone with one hand, I always feel like I'm going to drop the Note, whereas the 5s feels comfortably secure. That's why I end up leaving the Note in the car and taking the 5s when I go into stores or the like.

Precisely the point. Thanks!

Cheers.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit, the iPhone 5s was the BEST looking iPhone in my opinion as well. If it only had a 5.5 inch screen for these aging eyes and the insides of the 6s Plus

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I have to admit, the iPhone 5s was the BEST looking iPhone in my opinion as well. If it only had a 5.5 inch screen for these aging eyes and the insides of the 6s Plus

Hey,

I know, eh? It appears that the iPhone 7 (Plus) will fit your description rather well :)

Cheers!

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

My reason for sticking with a 6, and currently considering the Plus, is my sight. Age can be hard on the eyes. It did not take me long to get use to the 6. Now I am considering the Plus. Again it is purely due to worsening vision. The added bonus is that I am now use to handling a larger phone than the 5. One of my biggest concerns was the size for typing as I have small hands. On the 5 one handed is no problem, but the 6 for me is definitely two handed. So whether I own a 6 or Plus will not matter. It will always be two handed for me.

All the best to you and family over the holidays.

Hey,

I admit that I am quite fortunate having good vision, but I am slowly turning into the area where I can no longer take it for granted. In this context, I absolutely agree - the 6(s) Plus is the way to go. It offers a very compelling experience with zoom-in feature that you can enable upon setting it up. The higher pixel density also helps to make the screen slightly clearer and brighter.

As I originally said, my rant is mainly about the device ergonomics and aesthetics. I am sure than in couple (?) of years I'll need to start taking the vision factor into account.

Thanks for sharing your input, I really enjoyed reading it!

Cheers!

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
My favourite iPhone to date was the 4/4s. I liked it so much I didn?t even carry it in a case and it was glass all over. After that it all went downhill. When leaks of the 5 came out, I didn?t think Apple was capable of doing a two tone/material back. They did. Worse yet, the 6/6s was even uglier. That said, my 5 was in a case and my 6s is in a case. While I hate the back of the 6/6s (with all my heart) I don?t ever see it, sad but true.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let me add my 2?...;)....I like the design of the iPhone 4/4S series better than the others, with the iPhone 5S coming in a close second. In regard to performance, overall, the iPhone 5S does not surpass 6 Plus, however, you are spot-on with regard to screen rotation. With Spotlight, something I use almost daily, it's fast and smooth on my 6 Plus, but it's does lag on occasion. Anyway, I've enjoy all of my recent iPhone variants and am tempted to get the 6S, just to see how it performs in comparison to the 6 Plus and to test of its 3D Touch function.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR