Touch ID suddenly acting up

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys,

The touch ID on my iPhone 5s drives me crazy the last weeks.
It was working fine for such a long time, no it's behaves as follows:

If I wake the phone by pressing the home button and rest the finger on touch ID it sometimes unlocks the phone as it is supposed to be.

But that isn't always the case. Sometimes it just doesn't detect that there is a finger to be scanned. Nothing happens and there is no jiggle saying it couldn't read the finger properly. If this happens I can only make it work by pressing the home button - then it reads it.
Often times this happens when I swipe a notification to unlock it, always have to press that damn button down.

I already restored the phone once and reconfigured all fingers. Nothing changed.

Do you have any ideas what this could be?

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F147757820&token=BB-W8gZa

Thank you!!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys,

The touch ID on my iPhone 5s drives me crazy the last weeks.
It was working fine for such a long time, no it's behaves as follows:

If I wake the phone by pressing the home button and rest the finger on touch ID it sometimes unlocks the phone as it is supposed to be.

But that isn't always the case. Sometimes it just doesn't detect that there is a finger to be scanned. Nothing happens and there is no jiggle saying it couldn't read the finger properly. If this happens I can only make it work by pressing the home button - then it reads it.
Often times this happens when I swipe a notification to unlock it, always have to press that damn button down.

I already restored the phone once and reconfigured all fingers. Nothing changed.

Do you have any ideas what this could be?

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F147757820&token=ZZi1CefL

Thank you!!

looks like it could be a hardware issue as it is not reponding until u press...i would take it to apple and see what they say or think

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Starting to think so as well.

When I add a new finger in the Touch ID settings, it takes FOREVER to finish because it appears to be losing the "connection" to my finger when it's touching the surface. The red lines fill up and disappear again as if I was lifting my finger too early.

Totally strange!
Is it expensive to exchange the Touch ID button?

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Called apple care this evening, they said it sounds like hardware failure, their diagnostic scan didn't show anything unusual.

Just contacted the eBay reseller I bought it from two months ago, maybe he will show goodwill, most likely not.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You had no problems when you received it so there's no responsibility on the seller. It's not on them to provided refunds down the road if hardware goes bad. This is part of buying used or even new products from anybody but the manufacture or authorized sellers that would provide manufacture warranty.

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
You had no problems when you received it so there's no responsibility on the seller. It's not on them to provided refunds down the road if hardware goes bad. This is part of buying used or even new products from anybody but the manufacture or authorized sellers that would provide manufacture warranty.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Thought maybe to figure out a exchange deal or something, doesn't matter.

And hey, 9.2 didn't change a damn thing..

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Touch ID working fine again.

After another apple reseller offered me to swap my iPhone for 370? he also told me about a phone shop nearby that I should check out. Went there and after 15 minutes and 15? it's working like a charm.

He opened the iPhone and I think cleaned the connectors or something with alcohol.

Couldn't be happier!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Touch ID working fine again.

After another apple reseller offered me to swap my iPhone for 370? he also told me about a phone shop nearby that I should check out. Went there and after 15 minutes and 15? it's working like a charm.

He opened the iPhone and I think cleaned the connectors or something with alcohol.

Couldn't be happier!

Good, and thanks for the update.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh