Switching from 4S to 5S, what should I consider?

szymunk

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Switching from 4S to 5S

Hey there!

I'm new on the board. Let me get straight to the topic, I was saving up for iPhone6 as I wanted a bigger phone BUT yesterday my friend offered me a new 16GB 5S for a great price (~370$). Normally, here in Poland, it costs around 500-600.

I'm really limited on my budget and saving up for iPhone6 would take me a long time while getting the mentioned 5S is a matter of few days. I'm currently using 4S and while it works fine, I find the screen slightly too small. Also, being a huge design freak makes me want 5S even more.

I don't play games or watch films on my phone. I don't need more memory as current 8GB is, suprisingly, enough. My phone is basically being used to browse the web, stream music, chat via WhatsApp, do some mailing, and wasting time on changing the look of my homescreen to make it perfect and yummy. LOL :) I'm a student but I study from books ONLY so I don't need a big device for .pdfs or something.

Furthermore, XMas is coming and I thought I could give the 4S to my mum to get her introduced to Apple ecosystem because she's using some old nokia right now.

I've seen many reviews, know all the specs and tech differences between 4S and 5S but the point of this thread is to hear your personal opinions. Thank you for every reply, I'll make sure to check the topic reguarly. What else should I think about, what else to reconsinder?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Switching from 4S to 5S

Hey there!

I'm new on the board. Let me get straight to the topic, I was saving up for iPhone6 as I wanted a bigger phone BUT yesterday my friend offered me a new 16GB 5S for a great price (~370$). Normally, here in Poland, it costs around 500-600.

I'm really limited on my budget and saving up for iPhone6 would take me a long time while getting the mentioned 5S is a matter of few days. I'm currently using 4S and while it works fine, I find the screen slightly too small. Also, being a huge design freak makes me want 5S even more.

I don't play games or watch films on my phone. I don't need more memory as current 8GB is, suprisingly, enough. My phone is basically being used to browse the web, stream music, chat via WhatsApp, do some mailing, and wasting time on changing the look of my homescreen to make it perfect and yummy. LOL :) I'm a student but I study from books ONLY so I don't need a big device for .pdfs or something.

Furthermore, XMas is coming and I thought I could give the 4S to my mum to get her introduced to Apple ecosystem because she's using some old nokia right now.

I've seen many reviews, know all the specs and tech differences between 4S and 5S but the point of this thread is to hear your personal opinions. Thank you for every reply, I'll make sure to check the topic reguarly. What else should I think about, what else to reconsinder?

Nothing except to make a decision on which one is best suited for "you", and only "you" can answer that, in my opinion.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

My phone is basically being used to browse the web, stream music, chat via WhatsApp, do some mailing, and wasting time on changing the look of my homescreen to make it perfect and yummy. LOL :)

A brave soul! :). I still bring out my 4s, which is now used as a jailbreak tester. 4s is fine. Slower but once you are in apps, you do not feel much difference in speed.

Right now, a type of thread you might like to see is right below yours, titled "Is it worth buying iPhone 5s now?" and I offered my thoughts, so I would not repeat here.

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5s/349384-worth-buying-iphone-5s-now.html

But if you are not much into watching movies or gaming etc, 5s is a superb phone. If you discovered the value of true "mobile" device, i.e., smaller, pocketable, tossing-around and palm fitting, yet very capable phone, the 5s is it. As I said in the above cited thread, I purchased 6 and 6s to replace my 5s, but could not find a real value of large phone "for my use pattern". Returned 6 and will return 6s soon.
Sure there is a speed difference and other improvements, but in my opinion, iPhone as a mobile device almost matured with the 5s. This is evidenced that a gadget freak like me who has been buying each iteration of iPhone model from its incarnation, finally stopped and pause, analyzing the real value of a mobile device.

Of course YMMV, and each to his/her own.

szymunk

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

I saw this thread but still I decided to make my own where I could fully explain myself :)

The only thing that concerns me is iPhone's size. I never dropped my phone but I'm afraid I might get sloppy using big 6 e.g. try to use it with a single hand, and it might slip...

But speaking money-wise, 5S seems to be a great deal for me. If 4S's size is acceptable then 5S could only make a better impression.

Thanks for your responses, if noone drops a bomb on me and the idea of buying 5S, I'll probably buy it :)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

There's nothing wrong the 5s, it's a great device and will be for maybe a couple more years. Get what makes sense for you and enjoy it.

szymunk

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

What's your opinion on switching from 4S just to have 0,5inches bigger screen? 4S's speed is not bothering me

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

What's your opinion on switching from 4S just to have 0,5inches bigger screen? 4S's speed is not bothering me

I'm still using a 5s because I like the size, plus I think it's a really sharp looking iPhone. That's my opinion.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

My own opinion.
If you are not bothered by the processor speed, it only or mostly affects on booting time (long, but who cares) and opening applications first time etc.
Then the question as you say is the 0.5" screen size difference, which adds a bit of height with the same width kept. When the 5 (4" screen) came out, people joked about its height. Aspect ratio of 4" is better in watching video etc in a landscape mode, but again, you are not interested in it.
Under those conditions, I do not see why you cannot continue using the 4s, except I am a bit weary of keep updating the OS. I am on 9.02 (because of JB), but as long as you stay in and be careful of updating beyond iOS 9, I have not seen any big disadvantage for everyday use.
I actually loved the 3.5" size but finally succumbed to the 5s, not for the additional height in the screen size, but more convenient CPU speed, touch ID, and thought the 4s was becoming a bit long in the tooth. 6's speed and larger screen size etc never really enticed me into that size. I felt it was Apple's surrender to ever increasing screen size of Android phones. But I am sometimes lured by a bit larger screen simply due to my aging eyes and ability to increase the font size a bit. But since you do not seem to have that problem, and to answer you question, small difference in height between 4s and 5s does not make much difference in everyday use, and "for your" usage pattern, which seems to be like mine.

Disclaimer again: YMMV and each to his/her own :)

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

One more thing :).
5s is much lighter, which I appreciate.

When the 5 came out, I thought it was a bit too light (felt somewhat flimsy), and missed the slight heft of the 4s.
But now the 4s really feel heavier (glass both sides) and the light weight of 5s is nice. I usually carry it in my front shirt pocket, the light weight is welcome.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

The better processor of the 5s will allow for more and better apps. The 5s is still a great phone, if you don't mind the size. It should remain relevant at least another 2 years. But still functional even longer. Good luck with it. Welcome to iMore!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

I think the move to a 5S from a 4S is a good one as you can get your Mom onto an iOS device. From there she can use iMessage, WhatsApp, or other messaging apps to communicate with family and friends. You might also be able to use the Family Sharing option to share apps with her that you've already purchased.

Other apps are still available for the 4S that may not be there for the older Nokia device. Even though the 4S is not LTE capable, its still fine on WiFi. 4S is still a really good smartphone in many ways.
https://www.apple.com/lae/iphone-4s/specs/#mn_p

As for moving from a 4S to 5S, I was quite happy with the improvements with TouchID, and LTE. Camera is also improved, among other things. The slightly larger size is not in my view a concern.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

The 5s still works for me. I'm still running iOS 8.4.1 and it functions perfectly. I had the 6 for a few days, it felt flimsy for me.

It has a great camera and Touch ID.

All the best!

HariKECE

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi..I am using iPhone 5s for the last 3 months..I should say, its great (except battery life).. I never used any iPhones previously and hence I cant compare the battery life...Once you limit the Background App refresh, reduce the brightness and some location based stuff, you should be pretty happy with the battery life...I believe you will see big improvements in camera and the speed with which app opens...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Thanks again! Every opinion is more than welcome and appreciated

If you get the 5s and give the 4s to your mom, you could share the same iTunes ID. That way you won't have to buy apps, music and etc twice. You will need separate iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's though. Family Sharing is a bit much for only 2 people.

szymunk

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

I will have it delivered to my place tomorrow morning, I made up my mind :) gonna update you of what I think!

szymunk

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

So far I'm absolutely loving it! It looks smooth, is light but at the same time I'm not afraid to drop it. Furthermore, it's way faster than 4s and even though I did not realize that, 5s compared to 4s shows real abilities of an iphone. So far so good, I'm glad I made this decision. Thank you!

OverseerMG

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site

The main issue would be size. A bigger phone would improve web browsing tremendously. I love the iPhone 5 but getting one now, when everyone else is going big, will make you regret your purchase. Bite the bullet and save up for the iPhone 6. The iPhone 7 is coming out next year which will make the price of the iPhone 6 drop, so you won't have to save for long.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

The main issue would be size. A bigger phone would improve web browsing tremendously. I love the iPhone 5 but getting one now, when everyone else is going big, will make you regret your purchase. Bite the bullet and save up for the iPhone 6. The iPhone 7 is coming out next year which will make the price of the iPhone 6 drop, so you won't have to save for long.
I hate how you say this as fact. I had thought this until I actually got a 6. I immediately longed for my 5S.

Even web browsing as you say is better on the 6 than 5S I find more comfortable on my 5S due to how I hold it in my hand. I don't have shift the phone in my hand to hit certain elements on a webpage when I use it one handed (I do almost all of my web browsing on my 5S with one hand) or be forced to have to use two hands. Maybe if you have bigger hands than me (I'll admit mine are on the small size) you'll disagree with and that is fine but to say as a fact, that web browsing is always better on a bigger phone and that you'll regret getting a smaller phone because all of your friends have a bigger one is bologna. Every time I see a 6/6S in the wild it actually makes me appreciate my 5S that much more.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711