iOS 9 is frozen while updating, what do I do?

I

iMore Question

iOS 9 is frozen while updating

I am updating my 5s and my screen is frozen. It says "slide to upgrade" but will not slide across. I have tried holding the home button and lock screen button at the same time until the apple logo came back on. That worked until it went back to the "slide to upgrade" screen and won't move. Please help

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 9 is frozen while updating

"Slide to upgrade"? I don't recall seeing that screen before. Anyway, I recommend you start over. Put the device in recovery or DFU mode, make sure the latest version of iTunes is installed on your computer, make sure your computer has a good internet connection, connect the device to the computer, initiate the computer's iTunes app, and when iTunes recognizes the device in recovery, select to restore and update. I hope you've already made a backup of your device before attempting to update the iOS version.

Tyler98

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my 5S! I have connected it to itunes on the computer and tried to erase and restart the phone, but in order to do that i need to finish updating to ios 9!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my 5S! I have connected it to itunes on the computer and tried to erase and restart the phone, but in order to do that i need to finish updating to ios 9!!

Usually, if you reboot the device, the installation will continue where it left off prior to crashing/stalling.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue but can't do anything. I've tried to restore but you have to access the phone first to turn off the find My iphone.

you can turn find my iphone off via a web browser by logging into your icloud.

on side not to anyone with this issue .. put the phone in DFU mode you can restore it

Alister Sim

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I updated to iOS 9. All was good. New News app is ok. Phone worked fine. Went to work. 1 hour later it was frozen. Bricked. Can't enter pass code. Tried rebooting. Still a brick.

Monumentally frustrating.

Heavy Sigh

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
My 5s stalled twice while i was downloading. I put my phone in airplane mode for a few seconds and then took it off. That seemed to free it up and it finished the download. It has been fine sense.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2