My iPhone 5s has been nothing but problems since I got it 1 1/2 years ago. Time to move on?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: My iphone 5s has been nothing but problems since I got it 1 1/2 years ago

After purchasing 5 apple computers and seven iphones in our family I believe I deserve more than the token responses I got on this forum.

Any legitimacy you may have had just went out the window with the above remark. You posted here to say that the iPhone 5S was giving you fits for several years and now you've purchased a Samsung device because you needed a reliable phone. There is nothing left for anyone to say. We assume you are now happy with your new Samsung device. Therefore, for you to claim you deserve more than the 'token responses' you've received thus far tells me that you were looking for fanboy replies. Well, this is iMore where we try to tell it like it is. Period.

George Hall

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

What are your specific problems that you have been unable to eliminate. I can appreciate a good venting form time to time but accomplishes little if you are looking for assistance of any kind.

I must say have two 5s phones and been very happy with them for quite a while.

George in NY

JMRiv

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

I never had any issues with the 5s. I recently just upgraded to the 6 and I had the most difficult time trading it in at the store because it was reliable a phone unlike the Android phones I had in the past and I didn't want to part ways with it. The only reason why I upgraded was because the memory was insufficient (Went from 16 to 64 GB).

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

After purchasing 5 apple computers and seven iphones in our family I believe I deserve more than the token responses I got on this forum.

My iPhone 5s has given me NO problems since I got in on release day two years ago.

It has been great. Your behavior on this forum has not.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I do understand this and I should have contacted you when the issues popped. I thought I was in good hands with Apple support. I hope that you do an article or something on how to get good service from Apple.

The best way to get good service from Apple actually has 2 options. Both will work great.

Option #1------ Walk into an Apple store.

Option #2------ Call Apple support on the phone.

It is obvious that you have done neither. Just trolling.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

Question:
My iPhone 5s has been nothing but problems since I got it 1 1/2 years ago. Time to move on?

Answer:
What are you, a MASOCHIST? Of course it's time to move on after such an experience! The Horror! The Horror!

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Ok, I've had my ups and downs with Apple, so I'll just say this:

Up until IOS7, I was happy with iPhones, though back then I wasn't using smartphones to their full potential.
IOS7 destroyed my phone and my iPad, and I did experience some pretty lousy CS. They weren't rude, but they clearly couldn't fix the problem and made no offer to replace my devices (iPad 4 and iPhone 5, at the time)
When I came back in and was told I was "using the devices wrong", I jumped ship.

I went to Samsung.
Oh how I loved the bells and whistles! And Jellybean OS, so sweet.
Until that Kitkat update...
I kept refusing the prompts and woke up one morning with Kitkat fully installed, my phone (Note 3) crippled beyond recognition.

After paying full price for the phone, it was mine to use as I pleased and Samsung basically vandalized my device and they were quite rude when I contacted them for help.

So eventually, I got an iPad and after that an iPhone 6.
And it's been smooth sailing eversince.
If I have any issue that I can't fix by asking here, I go to the Genius bar and they always always fix it.
I call them, they stay on the phone with me until I'm satisfied.

So I don't deny that the OP may have had some bad luck in dealing with Apple, BUT...
I would go to a different location genius bar before throwing in the towel. Precisely because I've experienced Samsung, LOL.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

I have a iphone 5s that has given me fits. I have had two 4 phones previous--great product. The 5s has been nothing but problems. I spent 3 trips to the Boulder, Colorado Genius Bar with no results.

I have also talked with iphone support. They seem to spend more time hiding in the back from customers. Finally, I decided to buy a Samsung. I need a reliable phone.

Oh about reliability... You won't find it with Samsung, just wait until that next software update, LOL.
If you really want Android, go with Nexus.
At least it's made for Android, you're less likely to run into problems.
But Samsung? LOL.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My iPhone 5s has been nothing but problems since I got it 1 1/2 years ago. Ti...

I never had any issues with the 5s. I recently just upgraded to the 6 and I had the most difficult time trading it in at the store because it was reliable a phone unlike the Android phones I had in the past and I didn't want to part ways with it. The only reason why I upgraded was because the memory was insufficient (Went from 16 to 64 GB).

Storage. Memory is RAM.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My iPhone 5s has been nothing but problems since I got it 1 1/2 years ago. Ti...

I had no trouble with the 5s. I've had a couple minor issues with the 6. I think the 6s will be amazing.

If you want to buy Samsung, go for it. I've got a Note 3 and it's incredible.

Just keep in mind this forum isn't working for Apple. We're not their eyes and ears. We are however, a great group of people who love Apple technology.

Some of us here may try everything like I do, some may only buy Apple. Either way, if the 5s wasn't for you, it's always your decision to exercise the freedom of choice.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

BigES

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
From the limited information you gave us, I think you are/were experiencing cellular provider problems. Dropped calls and slow data are not typically the iPhone's fault but are a result of the quality of cellular service in the area where you are using your phone. Perhaps if you switch to a more reliable service provider the iPhone would work better :)

kerok

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I have had problems with my iPhone 5s twice:

1. Wouldn't complete bootup, and irregularities of the rendering of the startup apple screen at 1 year. Drove 75 miles to Apple Store, walked out 10 minutes later with an apparently new 5S. Quickly restored from iCloud and on my way...

2. That one began having charging issues (kept saying Apple charger and cable were "unsupported accessories"). It also ran hot, even after a restore and with only the Springboard running. Taken to a close Apple Authorized Center for repair/replacement (T.D. Curran). After 10 minutes in the back they told me they would have a replacement in the morning... And they did.

Each time I simply walked in, stated the problem and what I had attempted as a fix and the results. I wasn't pushy, rude or demanding. Each time I was given excellent service and a new phone.

Now to my complaint: Hmmm... Nope. No complaints here.

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Never had any issues with few 5Ss I got (I'm a developer).
In my experience Genius bar folks have always been brilliant and fair to me. Granted, I live in the UK, not US, but standards should be similar all over.

I know folks who go to Apple and aggravate their laments to get response. I'm polite, nice and honest. I still get good and fair treatment.
If you've been using it for 1.5 years - it's obviously not that bad. Anytime I had serious issue, I got it resolved it quickly.

You're either a troll or someone who's unable to stand for themselves. If latter, grow some balls and be more assertive. There's materials on youtube and web that can help you with those, forums, and stuff. In the case of former - Do I have to say it?

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

I have a iphone 5s that has given me fits. I have had two 4 phones previous--great product. The 5s has been nothing but problems. I spent 3 trips to the Boulder, Colorado Genius Bar with no results.

I have also talked with iphone support. They seem to spend more time hiding in the back from customers. Finally, I decided to buy a Samsung. I need a reliable phone.

Really? You got your iPhone 5S a year and a half ago and it's given you "nothing but problems since?" And why didn't you exchange it as soon as it first gave you problems?

Yeah... You're obviously trolling, especially considering your second paragraph. GTFO.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

If you all notice, once he was challenged he never said another word. Usual troll characteristic.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro