New to iPhone, basic questions about its wear resistance

nagatofm

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Couple of weeks ago I've bought a used 5S because I was pretty unsure whether I'd like it or not (I've used windows phone for 2 years now and was pretty happy with it). This used 5S is in good condition, but has a lot of almost invisible scratches all over the screen. I don't think that the glass is scratched (I've heard saphire glass is very very wear resistant), but the oleophobic coating is.
My previous device was Lumia 920 that had GorillaGlass 2 on its screen, and it still doesn't have any scratches on it (Lumia 920's screen is MAGIC: it gets damaged REALLY easy, but the oleophobic coating takes all the scratches and wears them off in two-three days making the device clear and shiny once again. I had my L920 "skating" on its screen for 2 meters on a sand covered floor. After that the screen looked like it was completely devastated, but the last scratch disappeared in two weeks).
Does iPhone 5S have comparable scratch resistance? Usually I don't treat my devices like an armored tank and all of them look almost new after a year of usage.
Will my iPhone's scratches disappear from the screen like it was on Lumia?
And the last question: I've bought tempered glass screen protector almost instantly after I've bought iPhone and now I often suffer touchscreen glitches (screen jumps while scrolling or while typing just like I'm not completely touching the surface of the screen but keeping my finger 0.5-1 mm away from it). Is it normal or should I take the screen protector off and test the touchscreen itself? Will I be able to reapply this tempered glass protector after some days of testing?
Thanks in advance.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The display of the typical iPhone is, at least in my opinion/experience, scratch-resistant. Having said that, if you're the type of person who constantly put your iPhone in the same pocket as your keys (for example), at some point, you should expect to find scratches. Displays are scratch-resistant, not scratch-proof.

KatMiku

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Couple of weeks ago I've bought a used 5S because I was pretty unsure whether I'd like it or not (I've used windows phone for 2 years now and was pretty happy with it). This used 5S is in good condition, but has a lot of almost invisible scratches all over the screen. I don't think that the glass is scratched (I've heard saphire glass is very very wear resistant), but the oleophobic coating is..

Well first off, the 5s doesn't have sapphire glass, it has Gorilla Glass 3. So therefor it will scratch or not scratch equally the same as any Android or WP device with Gorilla Glass 3.
Gorilla Glass 3 is scratch resistant but it is NOT scratch proof, so it's still no excuse to put your device in the same pocket as your keys or other things, if you do happen to get a scratch that way it's probably like a grain of sand in your pocket, and that's why people still recommend screen protectors.

Also I never heard of an oleophobic coating taking scratches and then removing them like ''magic'' after a few days, if you get scratches on your screen then they are on your screen, an oleophobic coating ain't gonna ''absorb'' scratches, Oleophobic is just a treatment on the glass against fingerprints and for a smooth handling, it's not even a thing you can actually see.
And the last question: I've bought tempered glass screen protector almost instantly after I've bought iPhone and now I often suffer touchscreen glitches (screen jumps while scrolling or while typing just like I'm not completely touching the surface of the screen but keeping my finger 0.5-1 mm away from it). Is it normal or should I take the screen protector off and test the touchscreen itself? Will I be able to reapply this tempered glass protector after some days of testing?

Your problem might be related to the thickness of your screen protector, I had the same issue with some of the thicker ones but everything is fine for me once I Switched to Nano Slim glass protectors from Spigen.
I advice you to NOT remove your tempered glass protector to test it, every glass protector I ever used has a special adhesive on it to apply itself ( you line it up with the screen and then let it drop and it ''sucks'' itself stuck ) removing the screen protector will make you unable to reapply it, at least that's my experience with 9 out of 10 glass protectors.

ihelp77

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the Lifeproof Fre case for my iPhone. It has a built in screen protector that is still working well after a year of use. There are few scratches on the cover and the touchscreen doesn't seem to have an issue with the protective layer. Considering I tend to drop things, the cost of the case has probably already paid for itself and then some.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2