Can I just swap SIMs?

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5s that was formerly on AT&T, that I have reset once I moved to an iPhone 6. The iPhone 5s still has its SIM.

My daughter has an iPhone 5 also on AT&T.

She wants the 5s - can I just take out her SIM, put it in the 5s, and restore her latest backup to the 5s? Or do I have to call AT&T for an activation?

Thanks!

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the one last follow up question, as I am now thinking I will do this differently.
In the past, I reset the phone, then when it was time to give to a relative, I turned it on to the Hello/Hola screen, and started it up and did all the steps at once inclluding restore from iTunes or iCloud.

I actually turned the phone on again yesterday though, and WITHOUT signing in to anything, brought it up - because I wanted to save the time of updating to the newest version of iOS. So now it's now in a generic state on WiFi but no cell phone carrier or iCloud.

Will this work, or should I just reset the phone again and do as I have in the past? --->

1. Backup old iPhone 5 (new phone is iPhone 5s) to iCloud
2. Take SIM from old phone, put in new phone
3. Turn on new phone - should see AT&T service now working
4. Sign on to iCloud on new phone
5. Restore backup from iCloud on new phone

Will this work?

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Not sure I understand the first part of your follow up question but the steps you listed in the second part is exactly how you should do it.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks wenrob, what I wasn't too clear on, is in the proposed second part, the phone is already setup and running on iOS 8.x, the latest; but not signed on to anything. In the first part, it's like a brand new phone out of the box, saying "Hello" - I always did the restore of a backup as part of working through th steps after Hello, instead of restoring a backup to a running phone. Is that clearer?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You can only restore a backup of a running phone using iTunes.

The iCloud restore has to be in the setup process, otherwise you'd just be starting as new.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro