Is this battery drain normal?!

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks.

So I'm a little concerned. Suddenly in the last two days my iPhone battery seems to be draining faster than usual. Last night I took it off 100% charge and after an hour of web browsing on wifi with lowest brightness my battery went down to 70%. I then put it on airplane mode and went to bed. After 5.5 hours I wake up to find the battery has gone down to 38% from 68%. And it was on airplane mode!

This morning after an hour and a half of listening to music battery is already at 84% from full charge. Guys, is this normal? Please tell me if my battery is failing on me. Thanks!

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks.

So I'm a little concerned. Suddenly in the last two days my iPhone battery seems to be draining faster than usual. Last night I took it off 100% charge and after an hour of web browsing on wifi with lowest brightness my battery went down to 70%. I then put it on airplane mode and went to bed. After 5.5 hours I wake up to find the battery has gone down to 38% from 68%. And it was on airplane mode!

This morning after an hour and a half of listening to music battery is already at 84% from full charge. Guys, is this normal? Please tell me if my battery is failing on me. Thanks!

I can't answer the question on battery life. I have a question for you. Why do you place the phone in "airpalne mode?" Any benefit?

Thanks in advance

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I can't answer the question on battery life. I have a question for you. Why do you place the phone in "airpalne mode?" Any benefit?

Thanks in advance

It turns off Wi-Fi and cellular connections. This way your phone won't be pushing notifications all night long, keeping the phone on standby with nothing running in the background and thus saving battery life. You can always turn your phone off every night instead but some find it a hassle having to keep turning it off and on.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
This is why I like the Do Not Disturb feature scheduled daily you still get your important calls but keeps everything else quiet. It doesn't save battery but the reason for a smartphone in my case is not to miss anything important. In the morning I check my lockscreen notifications for anything that I missed over night

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what OBF said. I don't like the hassle of turning on/off the phone so airplane mode is convenient for me. I checked the battery usage but there is nothing out of the ordinary. Battery is draining really fast and its taking ages to charge. I put it on airplane mode at 40% and by morning its dead. I think my battery is fried. :(

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
No that is not normal. My iPhone 6 will only drop 1 or 2 percent if I don't have it charging at night, and I don't turn air plane mode on either.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what OBF said. I don't like the hassle of turning on/off the phone so airplane mode is convenient for me. I checked the battery usage but there is nothing out of the ordinary. Battery is draining really fast and its taking ages to charge. I put it on airplane mode at 40% and by morning its dead. I think my battery is fried. :(

If that's your only phone, then in airplane mode you would get no emergency call alerts from family or close friends. In your case, airplane mode is not your answer. If you think your battery is not performing properly, do this test. It will tell you if the battery is bad. If it passes the test, then the issue is somewhere else.
So here's the test: write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
If that's your only phone, then in airplane mode you would get no emergency call alerts from family or close friends. In your case, airplane mode is not your answer. If you think your battery is not performing properly, do this test. It will tell you if the battery is bad. If it passes the test, then the issue is somewhere else.
So here's the test: write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Thanks for that idea Ledstepelin. I will do that once I take my phone off charge. I drained it completely to charge it back to 100% in case that solves the issue. It has been on charge for more than 3 hours now and battery shows 83%. I don't remember my iphone taking this long to charge! I will get back to you with the test results.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

So I did the test. After leaving it for 5 minutes usage time increased by 1 minute while standby time went up by 5 minutes. So this means there is nothing draining the battery?

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Did you update to 8.0.2. After I did my battery was awful. I did a hard reset and reloaded iCloud onto phone and it is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I did the test. After leaving it for 5 minutes usage time increased by 1 minute while standby time went up by 5 minutes. So this means there is nothing draining the battery?

There's always something draining the battery. The test is to tell if the battery is bad or not. If it passed the test, then your issue is elsewhere, and not the battery. It might be something in your settings or a rogue app hogging the battery. It might be you using your phone more than you have been. It can be a number of things. But your battery is fine.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
***make that 8.1.2

I did update to the latest version. I erased all settings and content and restored the phone from my iTunes backup. Is there any difference between that and hard reset?

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
There's always something draining the battery. The test is to tell if the battery is bad or not. If it passed the test, then your issue is elsewhere, and not the battery. It might be something in your settings or a rogue app hogging the battery. It might be you using your phone more than you have been. It can be a number of things. But your battery is fine.

I am not using my phone more than normal. Also, its a new phone - I bought it last month. It is worth mentioning, few days ago my cat chewed on my iPhone cable and tore it off. I got a cheap 3rd party cable and tried plugging it in to my mac. It didn't recognise the phone and showed error message. I charged my phone with that cable for 2 days before getting another original apple cable. I know it was stupid of me. Do you think it might have messed up my battery?

Do you have any ideas on how to identify the rogue app or the settings that might be causing this if the battery is fine? Yesterday I fully drained my battery and it took 5 hours to charge it back to 100%. Here is a screenshot of my battery. I would really appreciate any ideas you can give. Thanks.
Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 9.01.25 PM.png

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Let me add this as well... I tested battery life the other day on 8.1.1 and I was happy with my results. After I updated to 8.1.2, my battery dropped from 100 to 56 in one hour without using my phone. No new apps installed. After wiping phone, it's good again.

0cf2d1e5389e7c20b3cfc0cfe7bb84c6.jpg

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Let me add this as well... I tested battery life the other day on 8.1.1 and I was happy with my results. After I updated to 8.1.2, my battery dropped from 100 to 56 in one hour without using my phone. No new apps installed. After wiping phone, it's good again.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/13/0cf2d1e5389e7c20b3cfc0cfe7bb84c6.jpg

Perhaps I'll give it another go. Could you please walk me through the steps you took to wipe your phone and the following steps? Thanks. I'm looking at quite a few battery life complains on Google with iOS ipdate 8.1.2.

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I backed up my iCloud and all my apps. Then I went to "reset all settings" waited for that to finish and then restored from iCloud backup

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I backed up my iCloud and all my apps. Then I went to "reset all settings" waited for that to finish and then restored from iCloud backup

But I thought "reset all settings" does not erase any data or media. You still restored from iCloud backup?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice