Wifi problems after iOS 8 upgrade

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
My 5s has been having trouble with getting a good signal from my home network, which is Verizon Fios. With iOS 7, I could get flawless signal from my room, which is down the hall from the router. Now my phone disconnects from the network and I have to manually look for the network and click it w/out manually entering the password thanks to iCloud Keychain.

This problem is only with my 5s. My iPad Air, which has iOS 8, and my MBP are fine with the home wifi network anywhere in the house.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
My 5s has been having trouble with getting a good signal from my home network, which is Verizon Fios. With iOS 7, I could get flawless signal from my room, which is down the hall from the router. Now my phone disconnects from the network and I have to manually look for the network and click it w/out manually entering the password thanks to iCloud Keychain.

This problem is only with my 5s. My iPad Air, which has iOS 8, and my MBP are fine with the home wifi network anywhere in the house.

I've got Comcast and I'm not seeing any problems either on my iPhone 6 or my iPad 3.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
This looks to be an issue with iOS 8 as myself and lots of others are reporting this same issue on ours. I'm in the UK so nothing to do with the router or broadband provider obviously.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
No issues here.

Provider: Cox

Might be you've just not noticed it yet. I'm quite OCD haha so constantly checking my iphone and about twice a day I've noticed no wifi signal but I guess on normal use days I'd probably not even realise it was happening. For example I've turned off mobile data whilst at home to prevent it dropping wifi and using mobile data and this morning I woke to find no wifi and after a reboot I reconnected and got all my missed emails and whatsapp but had I had mobile data enabled it would have just used my mobile data connection and still notified me so I may not have noticed it wasn't on wifi!

To test it when at home or on wifi for a while goto settings>mobile or cellular and at the bottom reset your statistics and then check how much mobile data has been used before you leave wifi or at the end of the day and if you're on wifi the whole time you'd expect either no mobile data or a few kilobytes of nonsense transmissions. Let me know what you get and I bet it's MB's!

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Again, since this thread and others like it popped up, I've been watching. I am telling you that I have no issue with wifi. Home, church, office. None.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Wifi in Church!? Haha Brilliant

Whilst it's obviously possible you're not affected you cannot say you're not affected unless you've constantly monitored your iPhones connection for 24hrs straight which I doubt. It's more likely that you just haven't noticed it.

The drop in connection might only be for a few seconds at a time so unless you are constantly staring at your iPhones status bar it's more likely you've just not witnessed it happening yet.

I can't see there being a deviation between individual devices as I have an iPhone 6 and others are reporting this on their 5/5S. The latter working fine for a couple of years on the same router. The only thing that has changed is the release of iOS 8.x which is consistent between the devices reporting this.

If you are able to then when you know you're going to be at home all day or in a location connected to wifi for a long period then go into settings>cellular or mobile and at the bottom reset mobile statistics and then check before you leave that wifi connection later on or at the end of the day if the mobile data counter had increased which on wifi it shouldn't!!

Mine was reporting a couple of MB throughout the day where the wifi had dropped out and it reverted to mobile data and checked for email and the likes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods