How do I download music on an iPhone?

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I am a die hard Android user.... With iPhone 6 finally going to 4.7 I'm really interested in trying it out. I'm getting tired of the phones getting bigger on Android, i had an HTC M7) 4.7in and it I jumped to the M8 and it got bigger... As all of the top notch Android phones are getting to big and to me 4.7 is the perfect size... I miss it.
One of my biggest issues with apple is file management. See i download tons of music via torrents form mixtape website.. I don't want to be controlled by iTunes, i don't need a computer to get my music... I was wondering how i may be able to download music straight to my phone on an iPhone if i get one.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Subhramani

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

If you're coming from Android, you are NOT going to like iOS. You are restricted in every possible way. The only difference in iOS when compared to Android is that when an application is made, it will surely work in an iOS device. Android applications have issues because they are made to work with every different piece of hardware in the world.

I just bought an iPhone 5S after using 8 Android phones before. I still don't know much about using the iPhone, but have not found a way to download music from websites directly. File management is zero like you already know. Best part is, I have started buying music using iTunes since it is easier and not too expensive. And that is the whole point of Apple not allowing downloading of music files too.

LBBowie

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
re:

Sorry for the reasonably long answer, but hey, that's the risk of asking ;) .

The file management is indeed limited.
You can sync photos from iTunes, for example, but then you can't delete them from the iPhone - it has to be unsynced from iTunes.
With music it's much the same.

Whether you like it or not, if you get an iPhone, you'll be using iTunes.
With that in mind, you can lower the hassle of using iTunes by allowing the iPhone to sync wirelessly when it's connected to a charger (and iTunes is running on your PC).

Adding files and folders to the iTunes library is pretty quick and easy and once it's there you can select which albums, artists, genres or songs you want synced with the iPhone.
Of course, iTunes will determine which songs go together in an album, so depending on the source of your music, it might recognize it as two different albums.
Haven't had any problems with it music, but all music is either ripped from CD's or bought from online stores - no torrents here.

One neat little addition is that you can let iTunes fill up the free storage on your phone with music, making it a quick and dirty way of getting as many songs as possible on your iPhone.

That said, you might want to really think about why you would consider an iPhone.
If it's just for the screen size, there's still plenty of Android phones that fit your size requirements.

I just came from a Note 3 (and Galaxy S4) and I strongly disagree about the above poster claiming you're not gonna like iOS.
You say you're a die hard Android user, you might want to name a few things that you really like or find most important about Android, then see how iOS handles it.
Either figure that out yourself or ask around here, but I do suggest you do this before jumping over.

iOS is different enough that you should be sure you want to try it.

Good luck either way!

shivamanuja

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

Its better to download some download manager app and in that app u can dload music direct from websites? there are many free apps like my media, i downloader, i downloads which allows you to dload any file in app but these free apps wont allow you to download above 9-10 single songs and 2-3 heavy rar files or zip files?

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
re:

Sorry for the reasonably long answer, but hey, that's the risk of asking ;) .

The file management is indeed limited.
You can sync photos from iTunes, for example, but then you can't delete them from the iPhone - it has to be unsynced from iTunes.
With music it's much the same.

Whether you like it or not, if you get an iPhone, you'll be using iTunes.
With that in mind, you can lower the hassle of using iTunes by allowing the iPhone to sync wirelessly when it's connected to a charger (and iTunes is running on your PC).

Adding files and folders to the iTunes library is pretty quick and easy and once it's there you can select which albums, artists, genres or songs you want synced with the iPhone.
Of course, iTunes will determine which songs go together in an album, so depending on the source of your music, it might recognize it as two different albums.
Haven't had any problems with it music, but all music is either ripped from CD's or bought from online stores - no torrents here.

One neat little addition is that you can let iTunes fill up the free storage on your phone with music, making it a quick and dirty way of getting as many songs as possible on your iPhone.

That said, you might want to really think about why you would consider an iPhone.
If it's just for the screen size, there's still plenty of Android phones that fit your size requirements.

I just came from a Note 3 (and Galaxy S4) and I strongly disagree about the above poster claiming you're not gonna like iOS.
You say you're a die hard Android user, you might want to name a few things that you really like or find most important about Android, then see how iOS handles it.
Either figure that out yourself or ask around here, but I do suggest you do this before jumping over.

iOS is different enough that you should be sure you want to try it.

Good luck either way!

Thanks man! That's exactly what im doing, trying to make sure I am able to do the most important task that I use on android which is download music..

I've hated Apple for years for my personal reasons, but the phone nerd in me wants to finally give it a try. I feel like I've done everything Android.

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
re:

Use spotify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Google music subscriber, thats said... I don't like streaming music... I don't want to rely on network coverage for music... And as much music as i listen to I'd quickly go over my 10g plan....
Another thing i listen to lots of unreleased hiphop.. Mixtapes its usually not on any streaming site

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
re:

Thanks for your responses!

So from what i gather if im willing to download my music on my computer and allow iTunes to access/ manage that folder on my computer I'll be ok.. Outside of that i may have to jailbreak and/or find a downloader app.

LBBowie

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
re:

I can definitely understand your position there, which is why I wouldn't want you to jump in and end up disappointed.

Used to stream at work (nightshift, one guy on a network designed for a few hundred, good times) but other than that it's usually not a great idea for me, either.

I'd suggest you download iTunes and have a look at how it handles your imported music, as that will likely be your biggest obstacle when it comes down to music and iPhone.

When importing, iTunes will follow the file data to determine Artist, Track Nr., Album etc, and (if you let it) look online to complete missing data.
However, it might end up creating two albums because one song might have it's data listed as "Bob's First Album" while the rest of the songs have it as "Bob's 1st Album".

There seems to be no way to import it the exact same way as it is on your PC, i.e. the way you've sort your folders by Artist and Album.

So I would recommend you download iTunes, import your music to the iTunes library and see if it's acceptable to use.
It won't affect your files in any way so you won't have to worry about it changing your folders, it keeps it's sorting frenzy limited to iTunes itself.

If iTunes handles your music better than it does mine, you might find the iPhone not such a bad idea to check out.
Of course, if there's anything else you might have doubts or questions about, be sure to ask, I have enough history with Android to know what's what, and am new anough to Apple to tell you how it's working out for me.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
re:

I got as far as "torrenting" and realized what this was truly all about. The iPhone may not be for you, especially considering that a true jailbreak is never a guaranteed thing, nor is there ever a specified time when a JB may come to a new iOS version.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
re:

I am a Google music subscriber, thats said... I don't like streaming music... I don't want to rely on network coverage for music... And as much music as i listen to I'd quickly go over my 10g plan....
Another thing i listen to lots of unreleased hiphop.. Mixtapes its usually not on any streaming site

I'm in the same situation. My data is unlimited so that's not an issue but the unreleased music is. I've began using more soundcloud since more artists seem to use that now but it doesn't solve it completely. That's why I keep my M8 close lol. I love android for that reason. I'd consider leaving completely if iOS allowed that.

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
re:

I'm in the same situation. My data is unlimited so that's not an issue but the unreleased music is. I've began using more soundcloud since more artists seem to use that now but it doesn't solve it completely. That's why I keep my M8 close lol. I love android for that reason. I'd consider leaving completely if iOS allowed that.

I have an GS4 laying around i put it up on Craigslist but im thinking i may want to hang on to itfor the same reason... Wifi use only but i can use it for all my music downloads then share it to pc...

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

For Android switchers -- to start with, just use the Google Play Music app. Make your transition as simple as possible.

EDIT: To elaborate, I mean that it's easy to use Google Music Manager. Upload your files to the cloud, and you can pin them to your phone as needed.

There are other methods. One can use iTunes, period, and be tethered to a single PC. Or one can use iTunes Match and pay $20 to be untethered. But I rather like using Google services on Apple devices for my non-Apple music.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2