How can I block hidden callers?

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm running iOS 7.1 on my iPhone 5S, and I'm getting like 2 calls per day from UNKNOWN callers who hide their number (probably call centers, spammers)... which is VERY annoying!
Is there a way to block these numbers, so that I don't hear a ringtone or even better, they directly get declined?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How can I block hidden callers??

Yes, you can go to the Phone app, tap on the circled i next to the phone number (recent called list), and then select "Block This Contact" or something to that effect.

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
re:

Yes, you can go to the Phone app, tap on the circled i next to the phone number (recent called list), and then select "Block This Contact" or something to that effect.

That doesn't work... it only works with people you have in your contact list.
I want to block hidden UNKNOWN callers (call centers, spammers).

* Sorry for not mentioning this in the opening post before.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

That doesn't work... it only works with people you have in your contact list.
I want to block hidden UNKNOWN callers (call centers, spammers).

* Sorry for not mentioning this in the opening post before.

No, it is NOT just for people in your contact list and yes it DOES work! I have used that method to block several SPAM calls that I've received over the past few weeks and NONE of them were listed in my contacts.

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
re:

You're right... it DOES work directly from the phone app, but NOT with hidden numbers.
I want to block hidden numbers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

No, it is NOT just for people in your contact list and yes it DOES work! I have used that method to block several SPAM calls that I've received over the past few weeks and NONE of them were listed in my contacts.

It doesn't work if the callers number does not show. I have tried. Even Verizon can not block those. Did those spam numbers show their number or did it say Private or unknown or something? I think there has to be a number. I may be wrong.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You're right... it DOES work directly from the phone app, but NOT with hidden numbers.
I want to block hidden numbers.

My apologies. I thought you stated "hidden callers" and not callers with "hidden numbers". Sorry.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
re:

One thing you could do that would cost you about ten bucks is sign up for TrapCall. It unmasks blocked numbers. This way if those calls are actually coming from the same phone number at least you can unmask those calls, have the numbers to block, and then just cancel the service after a month.

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
re:

It doesn't work if the callers number does not show. I have tried. Even Verizon can not block those. Did those spam numbers show their number or did it say Private or unknown or something? I think there has to be a number. I may be wrong.

It says 'No Caller ID / Unknown"

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
re:

What happens if you call the unknown number and hang up right away. Is there a number in the recent call list that you can block?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
re:

What happens if you call the unknown number and hang up right away. Is there a number in the recent call list that you can block?

You can't call those back. That's the whole point. If I want to block my number from being seen, I use *67. The other person can not see my number. You can use *77 and it will tell the blocked caller to identify themselves. To undo *77, enter *87.