If you plan on buying the iPhone 6 on launch just wait a little.

Ste Wilkins1

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
As we all know the iPhone 6 will be in some of our hands by the end of the month, but those that are planning on buying at launch I say wait a little while before buying.

Here why.

First up the screen with it being 4.7" and most apps are now catered towards 4", it will take some while before everybody will have apps catered for the 4.7" screen, remember how long it took some to update their apps for iOS7, some still haven't yet.

Manufacturing defects, usually when a brand new bit of tech ie a phone ect comes to the market, there are always one or two problems that may arise on launch be it software or hardware, I've always found waiting a couple of months after launch is usually the best time to buy, as any launch software bugs are usually sorted by then, if it hardware problems then a recall might be needed, it's always better just to sit back and be patient, rather than rushing out just to be the first.

5S owners, seriously i would wait for the 6S, I personally don't think the iPhone 6 is going to offer anything more than what the current 5S can currently do even moreso if it remains at 1GB of ram, only new features other than the larger screen is quicker wifi and NFC & slightly better camera.

As it stands now the 5S is still very much future proof for another year at least & be the last truly compact smartphone, the 6S will improve alot over the 6 and be a much more better upgrade over the 5S next year.

So those are my thoughts why it better to wait if you have anything to add then please do.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to post that. I have a 5S and I plan on buying a 6 the moment it is available.

Why? Well, because I can really.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm still undecided on whether or not I will or will not get the iPhone 6 on launch day. I usually wat a couple of weeks before I buy the "next greatest" device. I waited a little more than 2 months for my GOLD 5s because the color wasn't available. It hasn't really bothered me in the past that I didn't get it on launch day.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting until October 1 or later to order.

Discover is giving 5% cash back on purchases at apple.com

Since I am paying full retail.... 5% is significant.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the 5s and plan to wait. I very much agree with the OP, I got the iPad Air on launch day and suffered through it crashing and rebooting until 3 months later, when an update for it finally came out.

Besides I feel that the 5/5s is perfect size for me. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple is a solid company who by design their devices are solid right out the door.

I don't think their will be any issues. But some are allowed to be skeptical.

Wansanta

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The biggest reason to wait IMO are the deals that start on black friday if you are using an upgrade. Also, waiting gives the accessories market time to mature.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not buying on launch day, but I will have one of the device shortly thereafter. The apps will be updated accordingly so there's no need to wait, in my opinion, in regard to those who plan to buy on launch day. Hardware defects happen no matter when the device is purchased. As for waiting for the 6S if you are currently a 5S owner, that's good advice for some people, but not for all of them. If you're a 5S owner who wants/need a larger display now, you might as well get the 6 as soon as you're able.

jmendel33

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a 5s and if they release on the 19th I'll be there that day, i want the bigger screen and everything else, as to the production problems, i feel as though those could come if you buy it the first day or a year later, so thats a non issue for me

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
As we all know the iPhone 6 will be in some of our hands by the end of the month, but those that are planning on buying at launch I say wait a little while before buying.

Here why.

First up the screen with it being 4.7" and most apps are now catered towards 4", it will take some while before everybody will have apps catered for the 4.7" screen, remember how long it took some to update their apps for iOS7, some still haven't yet.

That's the same argument people made for upgrading to the iPhone 5. Most big-time apps update accordingly. Same for iOS 7. Some stuff for iOS 7 just took a while because there was so much design language that was changed in the OS. Sometimes developers need more than 3 months of a beta cycle to update their apps accordingly. It's not a deterrent for upgrading.

Manufacturing defects, usually when a brand new bit of tech ie a phone ect comes to the market, there are always one or two problems that may arise on launch be it software or hardware, I've always found waiting a couple of months after launch is usually the best time to buy, as any launch software bugs are usually sorted by then, if it hardware problems then a recall might be needed, it's always better just to sit back and be patient, rather than rushing out just to be the first.

That's a good point. But this is Apple we're talking about. If there are hardware defects of that magnitude it is simple to get your device replaced by them.

5S owners, seriously i would wait for the 6S, I personally don't think the iPhone 6 is going to offer anything more than what the current 5S can currently do even moreso if it remains at 1GB of ram, only new features other than the larger screen is quicker wifi and NFC & slightly better camera.

Speak for yourself. I want a damn bigger screen (5.5") or even a 4.7". That's more than enough of an offer to upgrade from my 5S.

As it stands now the 5S is still very much future proof for another year at least & be the last truly compact smartphone, the 6S will improve alot over the 6 and be a much more better upgrade over the 5S next year.

You could say the same for every phone upgrade. The "S" upgrade is always better than its predecessor. If someone wants to go from a 5S to a 6 though, why should you want to talk them out of it?

So those are my thoughts why it better to wait if you have anything to add then please do.

My replies are within the quoted text.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I want to be an early adopter of the 6. Plus, if I get it on day one, I have a full 365 days before I would consider upgrading. Being an early adopter on launch is kind of fun :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Here why.

iOS 7 was a major change in the overall look of the OS. iOS 8 is just a bunch of new features. It's different. The 4.7" screen will have the same aspect ratio as the 4" screen. Only the resolution will change. I don't see that as a major issue for developers. Developers will have more tools to work with in iOS 8. It's going to be fun seeing what they come up with.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a 5s and don't plan to upgrade. I have another line that's eligible for an upgrade in November, but I think I'll use that and get my wife a 5s.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The only way I will wait if is the 64G gold iPhone 6 I want isn't available on launch day. I experienced that last time so I'm a little nervous.

Beyond that....nah....not waiting....

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Getting one launch day. I want it and have the money after all essentials (including retirement savings, college savings, emergency funds) are paid. So why not…

Yup. Mortgage paid, car paid, utilities paid, phone paid, cable paid. Done. Time to get a new phone.

PeltFrelken

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Apple is good about recalling any major defects so I wouldn't really worry.

One valid reason to wait is for cases to hit the market. The other is saving up for the down payment and/or waiting for your contract to be up.

And, I think there are plenty of reasons for 5s owners upgrade. Larger screen being tops. But, who knows what else? Thinner? Higher resolution? Scratch resistant screen? We'll see on the 9th what the features will be.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Apple is good about recalling any major defects so I wouldn't really worry.

One valid reason to wait is for cases to hit the market. The other is saving up for the down payment and/or waiting for your contract to be up.

And, I think there are plenty of reasons for 5s owners upgrade. Larger screen being tops. But, who knows what else? Thinner? Higher resolution? Scratch resistant screen? We'll see on the 9th what the features will be.

Speaking of defects, a device I wouldn't get on launch is a Nexus device. Those seem to have a few problems for the first couple batches. The battery life started out terribly, the speaker quality was pretty pathetic, and the camera was very slow, until a software update fixed it a few months later. I'd wait for a Nexus for a little while, but not an iPhone :)

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of defects, a device I wouldn't get on launch is a Nexus device. Those seem to have a few problems for the first couple batches. The battery life started out terribly, the speaker quality was pretty pathetic, and the camera was very slow, until a software update fixed it a few months later. I'd wait for a Nexus for a little while, but not an iPhone :)

Or a Samsung device. Both of mine, an S3 and a Note 3 bought on launch day were just a pile of the proverbial. I had to swap each one out for a new one within the first six weeks.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
If I were to get the 6 I would wait. I don't want to camp outside a store for a few days just for the joy of telling my friends I have the latest iPhone first. It doesn't really matter to me.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711