If you plan on buying the iPhone 6 on launch just wait a little.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The only way I will wait if is the 64G gold iPhone 6 I want isn't available on launch day. I experienced that last time so I'm a little nervous.

Beyond that....nah....not waiting....
I want black. I hope they bring black back. What would look really nice is a 2 tone Gold/Black. IMO!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Apple already released iOS8 and OSX Yosemite to developers giving the quite fair amount of time updating their apps, as we all knew the iPhone 6 will come with a bigger screen I believe so did the developers. But I agree with you that we might just have to wait a bit longer like until October 1 or till the 6S will drop if it will.. Anyway thanks for posting this thread, made me think again on buying it.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
My trusty ole back up iPhone 4 is on it's way out. I'm hoping the 5.5 ip6 won't be delayed. Also wouldn't mind a black anodized back. Going to get the 128gb version. Will no longer have an iPad. 9th is taking forever btw lol

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
As we all know the iPhone 6 will be in some of our hands by the end of the month, but those that are planning on buying at launch I say wait a little while before buying.

Here why.

First up the screen with it being 4.7" and most apps are now catered towards 4", it will take some while before everybody will have apps catered for the 4.7" screen, remember how long it took some to update their apps for iOS7, some still haven't yet.

Manufacturing defects, usually when a brand new bit of tech ie a phone ect comes to the market, there are always one or two problems that may arise on launch be it software or hardware, I've always found waiting a couple of months after launch is usually the best time to buy, as any launch software bugs are usually sorted by then, if it hardware problems then a recall might be needed, it's always better just to sit back and be patient, rather than rushing out just to be the first.

5S owners, seriously i would wait for the 6S, I personally don't think the iPhone 6 is going to offer anything more than what the current 5S can currently do even moreso if it remains at 1GB of ram, only new features other than the larger screen is quicker wifi and NFC & slightly better camera.

As it stands now the 5S is still very much future proof for another year at least & be the last truly compact smartphone, the 6S will improve alot over the 6 and be a much more better upgrade over the 5S next year.

So those are my thoughts why it better to wait if you have anything to add then please do.

This isn't bad advice for someone planning on keeping their phone for awhile. I get a new phone every year, so I'll just get this then the 6S. I also always use the beta on my daily driver, so bugs aren't an issue. Patience is a virtue I haven't mastered yet & I'm cool with that

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Or a Samsung device. Both of mine, an S3 and a Note 3 bought on launch day were just a pile of the proverbial. I had to swap each one out for a new one within the first six weeks.

For sure! Just one more reason why Samsung is on my "Never buy from this company" list. :)

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Apple already released iOS8 and OSX Yosemite to developers giving the quite fair amount of time updating their apps, as we all knew the iPhone 6 will come with a bigger screen I believe so did the developers. But I agree with you that we might just have to wait a bit longer like until October 1 or till the 6S will drop if it will.. Anyway thanks for posting this thread, made me think again on buying it.

I don't think we'd have to wait until the 6s for apps to be scaled for the new displays. That's a full year after the 6 :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We all have opinions...personally, I don't think there's any reason to refrain from buying it if you have a desire and the means.

Lot's of people like to make the argument that the "S" model is always better than the regular model...but this argument, to me, is a bit silly because we can say the same thing about this NON-S model vs. the outgoing model (which is really all you're doing when you say the "S" model is better than the non-S). The argument would be valid if both the regular model and the S model were released at the same time, but they're not, so essentially, you're just talking two different phones released in two different years. Not really fair to say one is better than the other since you're just using a retroactive comparative point.

Lastly, waiting on software/hardware issues to be polished on something released with the frequency of these smart phones really doesn't make much sense to me. By the time all the bugs are worked out, you're half way through it's annual cycle life, and then you'll start asking the question "Should I just wait for the next?" Where does that echo end?

"Just wait a little..." That might work for you, but for me, I want it, so there's no reason to wait at all.

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I didn't mean that we have to wait until apps to be optimized for the 6s/6 I we could wait until the 6S will drop as the 6 isn't much different from the 5S.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I didn't mean that we have to wait until apps to be optimized for the 6s/6 I we could wait until the 6S will drop as the 6 isn't much different from the 5S.

You literally have no idea how much different or alike the iPhone 6 is since it has not been shown yet...you're basing your opinion on assumptions, and groundless ones at that. Most people here on iMore will have both the iPhone 6 AND 6S, so this "waiting game" you're speaking of really just applies to those who have to make a choice between getting a new phone now or being patient and awaiting the "S" model.

Claiming the new device is not much different without seeing it though is pretty ridiculous.

Wansanta

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Claiming the new device is not much different without seeing it though is pretty ridiculous.
It's got a bigger screen, which is enough of a difference for those wanting a bigger screen to get it. And there is enough good info about the screen size that it is reasonable to believe it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's got a bigger screen, which is enough of a difference for those wanting a bigger screen to get it. And there is enough good info about the screen size that it is reasonable to believe it.

Sure it's reasonable...but what if there are two sizes? What if only one of the larger sizes are released? There are still so many questions left regarding the screen size ALONE that it's even more reasonable to say that we don't know squat yet. Especially not enough to make the claim that it's "not much different than the 5S" as the previous guy claimed.

Ste Wilkins1

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

But you also gotta take into account alot of people don't want a bigger iPhone, and if the 5S stays on sale as is after the release of the 6, you may find alot of people will look at the 6 see it isn't offering anything that really stands out over the 5S apart from the bigger screen, and will opt for the 5S instead because it be cheaper and to some better looking if the 6 looks like the leaks, and will run iOS8 perfectly fine, if not better than iOS7.

jus71n

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm still unsure, I have the cash available & also my contract is up for renewal on the 11th, so buying its not the problem the question for me, is do I want to?... I'm waiting for the official release for size, specs etc because in some of the leaked parts the phone looks big, but only a 4.7" screen? I mean if I'm going to have a big phone to carry arround then it has to have as much screen real estate as possible, if its a simular size to a Galaxy S5 or LG G3 (due to bezel size) but has a smaller screen that would put me off, also theres the lack of ram issue (maybe), I want to order for release day but this time I will need to see and compare one to the competition :biggrin:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
But you also gotta take into account alot of people don't want a bigger iPhone, and if the 5S stays on sale as is after the release of the 6, you may find alot of people will look at the 6 see it isn't offering anything that really stands out over the 5S apart from the bigger screen, and will opt for the 5S instead because it be cheaper and to some better looking if the 6 looks like the leaks, and will run iOS8 perfectly fine, if not better than iOS7.

By now, the majority rules the market, and after years of sticking to their guns, Apple would not have moved to a bigger screen without a vast marketshare that demanded it. They had no reason to, their devices sold like hotcakes while sticking to an unconventional size (when compared to the rest of the market). Their move directly reflects that the market wanted a bigger screen with enough demand to make it happen...

And again, you're bringing this "may" argument into this. The iPhone 6 MAY be similar to the 5S, or it MAY be drastically different and improved.

I'd feel safe in wagering that the iPhone 6 will break records as usual, will draw in the consumers who demanded a bigger screen and will be substantially different than the iPhone 5S (inside and out). This is a major release...not a bi-annual "S" refresh. We're talking a whole new phone from top to bottom just like we got from the 4S to the 5. There's no assumption there, it's factual...the phone we'll see next Tuesday will be completely different.

The rest of your retort is just opinionated banter, and again, it might work for you to refrain and stick with the older device. The flagship device will be clearly different than the outgoing 5S.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
As we all know the iPhone 6 will be in some of our hands by the end of the month, but those that are planning on buying at launch I say wait a little while before buying.

Here why.

First up the screen with it being 4.7" and most apps are now catered towards 4", it will take some while before everybody will have apps catered for the 4.7" screen, remember how long it took some to update their apps for iOS7, some still haven't yet.

Manufacturing defects, usually when a brand new bit of tech ie a phone ect comes to the market, there are always one or two problems that may arise on launch be it software or hardware, I've always found waiting a couple of months after launch is usually the best time to buy, as any launch software bugs are usually sorted by then, if it hardware problems then a recall might be needed, it's always better just to sit back and be patient, rather than rushing out just to be the first.

5S owners, seriously i would wait for the 6S, I personally don't think the iPhone 6 is going to offer anything more than what the current 5S can currently do even moreso if it remains at 1GB of ram, only new features other than the larger screen is quicker wifi and NFC & slightly better camera.

As it stands now the 5S is still very much future proof for another year at least & be the last truly compact smartphone, the 6S will improve alot over the 6 and be a much more better upgrade over the 5S next year.

So those are my thoughts why it better to wait if you have anything to add then please do.

Suggesting that apps will not be optimized for the 4.7" screen is a bit premature. We don't even know the scaling method that Apple will employ on the new phone(s) yet. Letter boxing may, or may not, be required this time around.

Year after year, there is the group that suggests waiting for the 'bugs to get worked out'. Whether it be prior to updating to the new OS, buying then newest device on launch day, etc. Sometimes I wonder if people are actually speaking from experience, or simply running with a phrase because it sounds logical to them. I have purchased the new iphone on launch day every year since the 3GS and never once experienced issues causing me to return my phone or seek out support. You can go out today, buy a 5S, and run the risk of it having a flaw. They are mass produced by machines, operated by humans. Defects happen.

If I have the 5S, and enjoy technology, why would I not want to purchase the 6 as oppsed to waiting a year? Particularly if I have the financial means? If I value a larger screen, NFC, improved camera (you mention slightly improved but you have no idea what improvements have occurred), wifi a/c support, A8 chip, re-designed hardware, etc then it is entirely reasonable to upgrade now. All of those things are based on rumors, and not inclusive of all the potential features the 6 encompasses.

Finally you mention the 6S will improve greatly over the 6. How do you know? You don't even know what the 6 will entail, let alone the 6S. I respect your decision to hold off on buying the 6 and appreciate you sharing your opinion. I simply disagree with most of your reasons behind it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox