Do I really need a screen protector?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I always use a screen protector. I learned with my iPhone 3GS. I neglected to out one on and I scratched the screen with my earrings.

I always use a screen and a case.

Two days ago I dropped my iPhone face down on concrete. Luckily my phone was in the Apple leather case and it was protected. Accidents hapoen and I don't want my baby damaged.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have used screen protectors, but I currently don't have one on my phone now. I'm not sure how necessary they are if you have a case in your phone. My ex wife doesn't use a screen protector and she is very careless with her iPhone. She throws it in her purse. She drops it all the time. She never cleans it. But even still, there really aren't any noticeable scratches on her screen. I would say that's pretty good. And of all the smartphones that I have ever owned, I have never had a scratch on my screen whether I have had a screen protector on it or not. I would say this though, if you opt for one of those wallet cases like the BookBook case. I would say get one. I had the BookBook case and it started to strip the oleophobic coating in the area where the id holder touched the screen. Other than that I don't think that it is necessary.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I use to wonder the same thing until one day the Sun hit my Blackberry 8330 just right and I could see all the microscopic scratches. I've been using screen protectors ever since. I have tried many different brands and finally setteled on the Zagg brand, I'm currently using Zagg Glass and it's the best experience yet. I'm also using Zagg Invisible Shield HD on the back for scratch protection while still showing off the GOLD....SMILE

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I used no screen protector on my iPhone 4. I did see a very small scratch that was barely noticeable. You had to look real close. I use an Otterbox with the built in protector on my 5. But if I used a case without it built in, I would not put anything on the screen.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

anon(161369)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Like others have said it's really personal choice, I just bought a glass screen protector from eBay some Chinese company but it works just great =p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Personal preference, I do not have the patience to apply a screen protector on my own which is why my otterbox already came with one on so I am good.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Screen protectors do not keep resale value any higher than a phone that does not have one on it.

Humm, I would think that would depend on whether or not the screen without a protector has microscopic scratches or not. It's been my experience that no matter how careful one is with their device, those microscopic sratches seem to appear when no protector is being used.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Humm, I would think that would depend on whether or not the screen without a protector has microscopic scratches or not. It's been my experience that no matter how careful one is with their device, those microscopic sratches seem to appear when no protector is being used.

No scratches at all on my iPhone 5S...never had a screen protector, and has been dropped several times. Of course damage would regulate value, but his insinuation was that using a screen protector will retain device value, and it surely CAN do that, but you'll get the same exact value without a screen protector if you take care of your device and don't scratch the screen.

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I do try to take care of my toys but as they say, **** happens. :)

I know it feels better without it but if a $5-10 screen is going to save it why risk it?

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
A screen protector made out of glass. Would not that break?

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB

if you buy your glass protector from tech armor, they have lifetime warrenty if you buy from them or amazon. you file a warrenty request on there website you do the process and they replace it for you. usually i dont know if they do but like with zagg you proably pay shipping they say on the site they dont charge you for it but even if they do its few bucks you get your expensive glass protector replaced. also if you do say drop your ipad or iphone the glass is supposed to crack, but not shatter so it doesnt damage the device and you can take it off in one piece. i have however dropped my phone on pavement by accident theres not mark in the glass.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I know it feels better without it but if a $5-10 screen is going to save it why risk it?

I don't view it as a risk at all...which is why I feel it's not worth it. That and I can clearly see when a phone has a screen protector, and to me it doesn't look (or feel) right. Preventing situations where it COULD get scratched is a much more beneficial action to me...and that's free.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

You can literally take every single key on a set of keys and try hard to scratch the screen of an iPhone and you'll have trouble.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2