If apple said no more updates for the 5S...

AlexJ92

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I know that this would never happen... But say If apple released that they were only going to support their newest iphone models for 1 year after the release, would you still use a iphone? Would you upgrade every year? Or switch to a different platform?

Sent from my iPhone 5S

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I know that this would never happen... But say If apple released that they were only going to support their newest iphone models for 1 year after the release, would you still use a iphone? Would you upgrade every year? Or switch to a different platform?

As you said, that would never happen. No point playing "what if" for an impossible scenario.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
As you said, that would never happen. No point playing "what if" for an impossible scenario.
Just answer the question. OPs dislike it when people do stuff like this. It doesn't contribute to the topic or the conversation in anyway.

I would keep my phone only until the warranty is up. I always get the extended warranty so updates aren't really a big deal for me.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple knows that updates beyond one year are a big competitive advantage, and key benefit for customers who want or have to keep their phones for more than one year.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what I'd do but I also can't make my mind believe that would happen.

One of the reasons I decided I would never use a Samsung phone again is because they took forever to update their phones.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

Sanjay Chandra

May 10, 2014
Visit site
This will never happen and if it does , I am gonna switch....

Why ?
iPhone 4 introduction + iOS 4 = almost every app got updated to support super sharp resolution screen by the time iPod Touch 4G was launched.
iOS 5 launch = Same , almost every app took advantage of its features like "open in..." or "iCloud" support etc.
iOS 6 launch - Almost every app got updated so quickly to support iPhone 5 display , maybe very very few apps are left out.
iOS 7 - same
iPad 3 launch - same

Almost every iOS launch is like a party in appstore or even new hardware release...........because developers take advantage of new features of new OS version.

Now , contrast that with Android or WP8..........you will find huge difference.

for example , kitkat made changes in the way which apps can use "micro-SD" slot , if developers update their apps , then only micro-SD card can be used properly.....even today maybe 40% or 50% of apps support it.
Lot of apps don't support 1080p on WP8 natively , they just scale up/blow up 720p versions. its just very rare on iOS.
Lumia 1520 launched like ages ago , where are updated apps ?

What's the proof ? Microsoft themselves are the proof here :

vaev.PNG

link : Facebook | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (India)

(look at who published facebook app , its MS)

What's the use of buying Lumia 1520 which has 1080p display , if you are going to run 720p blown out apps ? it doesn't make any sense.

This is the big difference between iOS and rest of the platforms.

EDIT : I used both WP8 and Android platforms for atleast 7 months before switching to 5s

emanwis

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
It depends. If Apple were to be the only one to adopt thaw 1-year support model, I would switch. If all others followed suit, then I would stay with Apple.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
This will never happen and if it does , I am gonna switch....

Why ?
iPhone 4 introduction + iOS 4 = almost every app got updated to support super sharp resolution screen by the time iPod Touch 4G was launched.
iOS 5 launch = Same , almost every app took advantage of its features like "open in..." or "iCloud" support etc.
iOS 6 launch - Almost every app got updated so quickly to support iPhone 5 display , maybe very very few apps are left out.
iOS 7 - same
iPad 3 launch - same

Almost every iOS launch is like a party in appstore or even new hardware release...........because developers take advantage of new features of new OS version.

Now , contrast that with Android or WP8..........you will find huge difference.

for example , kitkat made changes in the way which apps can use "micro-SD" slot , if developers update their apps , then only micro-SD card can be used properly.....even today maybe 40% or 50% of apps support it.
Lot of apps don't support 1080p on WP8 natively , they just scale up/blow up 720p versions. its just very rare on iOS.
Lumia 1520 launched like ages ago , where are updated apps ?

What's the proof ? Microsoft themselves are the proof here :

View attachment 62432

link : Facebook | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (India)

(look at who published facebook app , its MS)

What's the use of buying Lumia 1520 which has 1080p display , if you are going to run 720p blown out apps ? it doesn't make any sense.

This is the big difference between iOS and rest of the platforms.

EDIT : I used both WP8 and Android platforms for atleast 7 months before switching to 5s

#truth!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my iPhone 5S

The chances of Apple doing that to its customers are minute. I don't see it happening.

But if it were to happen, I would buy its products, keep them for a year, and save the prior one or gift it or donate it. But I would always get the next iPhone.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The chances of Apple doing that to its customers are minute. I don't see it happening.

But if it were to happen, I would buy its products, keep them for a year, and save the prior one or gift it or donate it. But I would always get the next iPhone.

I totally agree with this post. I upgrade just about every year anyway...SMILE

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73